Posts by gibson5413

Public Service Announcement: It just came to my attention yesterday that my [email protected] email was kicking back emails because the storage was full and went unnoticed by me for almost a week. I have since remedied the problem, but if anyone out there was trying to reach me there, it is now working again. I have adjusted the storage allocations and all should be good for a while. Sorry for any inconvenience.

On a side note, I have been working diligently at home now that our tour schedule has slowed down a bit. I've started work on some new official 3rd Power Amps profiles and hope to have those out in time for the holidays. I've also been working on making presets for some of the other units on the market and make some custom IRs that can be used on any platform. I'll post here when things get closer.

Thanks!
    Mike

Looking forward to the 3rd power profiles. I have been wanting to try a Citizen Gain for a while now.

Leslie and I still talk fondly about the Utah Lonestar gig. Hope all is well Mike!

Here is the video that I was thinking about. Making of Resolution...has a couple of really cool amps used for recording (including the Marshall).

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For the Resolution album he used a variety of Marshall amps for recording (68 Super Lead and a 79 JMP). He always tours with his main Mesa rig but I have read a handful of interviews where he mentioned some vintage Marshalls for that particular album (https://www.premierguitar.com/…sh-creating-killer-tone-1). He has used Laney amps quite a bit in his past as well. There are so many great Marshall(-esque) profiles available free and commercial. I've also been playing around with Cili's Mark V:25 profiles for some Timmons tones. Always loved this clip he played with the Mark V:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Those are some great packs to start with from MBritt. The 69 Marshall is awesome as he profiled that particular amp with four different cabs. Tons of variety! The Guytron is cool too.

I can't speak for GoT. Seems to be more slanted to metal. He seems to be a good guy with some cool amps. From my perspective he seems to provide more of a metal platform but I may be mistaken. It just comes down to preference. I think it is a bit harsh to say they aren't great. It just depends what your application is. Based on your needs above and from my perspective I would say you can't go wrong with MBritt profiles...especially in a live situation.

That's great Guido! Looking forward to this. Either of the Dr Z amps would be my next choice.

Cili makes KILLER profiles!! I personally love the Friedman pack but I have to say my absolute favorite is the Mark V. I wasn't interested initially in the Mark V as there are so many available. For some reason his are different and really fit me. They are special that's for sure. Here is a quick, rough clip I made with one of his profiles from the pack (rhythm and lead):

External Content soundcloud.com

Nice. On my future list from his demo he posted yesterday....btw are you using the Kemper wah or an external?

It is a really killer amp and the profiles are top notch! I used an external wah (Dunlop). Here is the Big Hairy Profiles demo:

Thanks so much to Michael and BHP for doing such an amazing job on this amp!! He has done an impeccable job of capturing the nuances of this killer amp. I honestly couldn't ask for anything more. Michael is a talented engineer and producer and these profiles came out better than I had hoped. He even created a profile based on my very own personal settings (has my name in it).

I hope you all love these as much as I do. Steve Henning has built a real winner here based on the best version of a Jose Arredondo modded Marshall but with his own twist and features. He is a thoughtful and talented amp designer and builder and these profiles represent his work extremely well.

Here is a video clip I put together using a couple of profiles included in the pack (rhythm guitars used "HenBR Chads Rocket" and the lead is "HenBR Metul"). Sorry for the sloppy playing!!

No, I haven’t had to adjust anything on the MBritt profiles. For me they’re plug and play. I use an Atomic CLR for sound on stage and run direct to the board.

Have you tried M Britt's free pack? Britt's profiles sound good live (and loud).

MBritt's profiles are amazing for live use. I use them exclusively with my band live. His Colonial pack (http://www.mbrittprofiles.com/colonial-pack/) is my absolute favorite for my classic rock band. His free pack has a profile from that set titled "Colony 2.9". My sound guy tells me how amazing my guitar tone is after every show. I use MBritt profiles exclusively live. We have been working with the same soundguy for three years and he continues to say he is blown away by how great I sound with these profiles. In fact, he has told me there are gigs where he keeps the other player a little lower in the mix (mic'ed up tube amp) because his tone isn't as consistent or thick as mine. A really good profile and a clean signal to the board is a soundman's dream! I love my tube amps but a good profile set with a good sound guy is just a no brainer.

I would also check out the new Ton(e)hammer free pack on the Kemper website. I have really loved the Marshall DSL profiles for classic rock. Haven't tried them with my band but at home and recording they sound awesome! https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

I hate it that we need to be slave to the banks and Rig packs cost so much more in EURO and USD, IN BRAZIL
    its just petrol dollar wall street BS!! SELFISH SELF INTEREST..we are guitarist ..not them

BIT COIN RIGS are same price..maybe we should make rigs in Bit coin :whistling:

Ash

@ashtweth
    Dark Web Bit Coin rigs...I think you're on to something!

@bigb6611
    You're welcome Ben! I am working on a full video playthrough with some of these profiles. I haven't tried the 5150III pack yet. I wouldn't say that the other packs fit me but for some reason the tones Kris came up with STL just fit me so well. They are well balanced and the attack (in terms of feel) are just right. Let me know what you think if you grab them.

It is all so subjective. Everyone likes different types of tones. Different players...different styles...different guitars...different pickups...etc. ReampZone, Big Hairy Profiles, MBritt, STL, MattFig, Tonehammer, CiliLab, TopJimi, Choptones, SinMix, Guido, Soundside, Armin, Tone Junkies, RockProfiles, TMS, on and on. Some have very niche products and others cover a wide range of tones and styles. I find something with all of them but I tend to gravitate to certain vendors that fit my needs from home and live needs. I won't mention them here because I believe they all have value. Lots of great free packs and Rig Packs (from Kemper) to try and find what fits you best.

Brother, I'd be gushing too, and I can say that confidently, due in large part to that pick attack.

The thing is, our brains use the attack portions of sounds big-time in the process of identifying them. I'd go so far as to say that the perception of what follows immediately-afterwards is greatly influenced by the initial judgements made by it. Kinda like when you meet someone and first impressions can be difficult to override.

We all have our own preferences, of course, so it may well be that we've just struck it lucky in that there's an alignment of tastes. The fact that you like Michael's 5150 confirms this, IMHO.

You explained it very well! There's a feel there that is just great.

I am not usually a huge 5150 fan as over the years they've become synonymous with metal tones. That isn't a bad thing by any means. I'm just not much a of metal player anymore. The majority of the 5150 profiles available are for metal tones. That's why I love the 5150 pack that Michael Britt put out. Sometimes I forget that the 5150 is a rock machine. I love that Michael created some 5150 profiles for rock guitar. Even better, he made profiles of the amp with his normal 3rd Power cab and the matching 5150 cab from Peavey. The profiles with his trusty 3rd Power cab are perfect for live performances with the band and the profiles with the 5150 cab with the original speakers sound amazing for home recording. Between those and these STL profiles I feel like I've hit the jackpot.

I get that these are pricey but I have learned over the last 4 years with my Kemper that in some cases you get what you pay for. Not always as I've spent a good penny on some so-so profile packs. These have really surprised me. They are literally mix ready. I didn't change a thing in any of these. I just used my favorite reverb and delay settings and went ahead. I only demoed a few of the profiles as there are quite a few that are really good for me. They really captured the actual amps. The unboosted Recto sounds like a real Recto with the little bit of flub in the low end. The clip I posted had a boost baked in the profile that really tightened it up. I love that the PDF is very detailed as well.

The JCM800 has joined some of the MBritt 5150 profiles that are my "go to" home studio rock tones. The BE100 profiles are terrific. I've never been much of a Recto player but these sound great. I agree with Monkey...there is something about the pick attack with these profiles that make me forget I'm playing the Kemper sometimes. I don't mean anything bad by that. I can't explain it very well. If there is anyone that loves Vox AC tones this pack has them.

Either way, I promise I'm not getting anything out of this praise. I don't know anyone at STL or anything. I just know what I like and these fit.

Thanks Ash! I really appreciate your comments.

I had been following STL Tones for a while now and always thought they were a bit too metal for my tastes. Great sounding profiles but it was more of a personal decision. When I saw the videos for the Kris Crummett pack I was struck. They sounded more my style. Certainly there are metal tones to be had but I was hearing more rock centric tones. The Recto and BE100 profiles sound amazing. The JCM800 and Soursound were just icing. The JCM800 is one of my very favorite set of profiles for that particular amp. I wasn't looking for anything from the Soursound until I started playing around with my Anderson Classic (a traditional strat). It just sounded amazing! I have a video clip I am getting ready to record that will feature those tones.

Some really great stuff and I think you and I have some very similar tastes in tones.