Posts by lightbox

I would hate to be without my lunchbox as well.
    But I would probably send it to service if I knew that the actual problem has been fixed. No need to repair just to have the LEDs die again in a few months. It's a pity that there's no word from Kemper on this issue.

Might not be the most helpful comment of the day, but the profile you mentioned is not a profile of the actual amp but a profile of a 3rd party modeler's version of this amp. Maybe you want to listen to the TAF Mesa Boogie Mark V profiles demo and in case you like it just get them? There's a Mark V pack at soundside.de as well, but the demo clip is just unbelievably bad playing.

I have a question: on a modeling amp how can I create an amp sound 'from scratch' as many state?

I think I have to answer here because I used the term "from scratch" in one of my posts.
    To my understanding there is no "Van Weelden Twinkleland" model available on the Axe FX. So if I want to get close to this amp's sound, I need to take another amp's model and then try to tweak the hell out of it to (maybe) get close to the sound I'm looking for. Pretty much like rebuilding the Pisa tower with a selection of different Lego parts. In the end it might look similar and somehow amazing for what it's been built with but my camera's snapshot of the real thing will always look more realistic. And using Photoshop with a little knowledge, I still can tweak my snapshot quite a bit ... but I don't have to if I'm just looking for the realistic reproduction from the moment I took the snapshot.

Hope that explains my use of the term "from scratch".

Cheers,
    Martin

I remember that about 6 months ago there was a post of someone who tried out the Kemper into a PA and who reported that the distorted and higher gain sounds didn't really sound like the do via headphones.

Generally speaking, it's best to have the sound of the Profiler setup so it sounds perfect in the band context through good studio monitors or studio headphones. Remember that you might want to do a recording of your band's live gig in the best possible quality. You feed the best possible signal and the FOH guys adjust correspondingly for the audience while they (for example) could offer multi-track or stereo mix recording on a separate, un-altered bus at the same time.

As another example: No keyboard/piano player would adjust the sound of his Hammond B3 or his Fender Rhodes or his Bösendorfer Imperial to the FOH sound. :) That's what the FOH mixing desk is supposed to do.

probably totally wrong!

I still don't get why this should be totally wrong. Tell me where to get an Orange Matamp or a '63 Fender Vibrolux or a Van Weelden Twinkleland or Gilmour's very own HiWatt or any other of these rare and amazing amps in the Axe FX world unless you "build" it on your own? It has been mentioned many times here, that there are people who are either not capable or not willing to "build" there own amp sounds but prefer to get them nicely profiled, authentical and ready to play. There's nothing wrong about that. The folks who enjoy "building" their own amps with lots of features and granular control will be happy with the Axe FX and that's fine. But you should respect other opinions, other approaches to guitar amp simulation.

If the mixing desk has both, XLR and TRS inputs (Yes, the better ones do have TRS inputs and not just TS) then you simply want to use your XLR Outputs on the Profiler and XLR->TRS adapters at the mixing desk.
    http://www.audiopile.net/produ…5/MP-105_600w_DETAILw.jpg

If the mixing desk has XLR inputs only, then use XLR cables and pad the signal in the mixing desk or setup the input channel as a line level input. You want to avoid the TS (unbalanced) outputs of the Profiler, if possible.

You certainly don't want to change the sound on your Profiler using EQs!
    Instead, if your mixing desk doesn't like the pretty hot signal from the Profiler's XLR Outputs, you just turn down the Profiler's Main Output Volume:

Output menu Page 1/5: Set the Main Output to Master Stereo
    Output menu Page 2/5: Adjust the Main Volume until the mixing desk is happy with what it gets from the Profiler.
    After you adjusted the Profiler's Output, you might want to lock the Output section with the LOCK button.

Cheers,
    Martin

The bottom line is that you should try them both for yourself - any replies on both forums are too unreliable to use as your decision making process
    :D

While I agree that trying both is the best option if someone doesn't find factors that make the desicion easy, I don't think that forum replies are unreliable. Let me explain why.
    He specifically asked for our thoughts and reasons for our decision. I think if you read multiple answers to this question, you can get an idea of certain strengths or weaknesses. Or at least you get an idea what to have a closer look at when comparing the products. Of course all answers are biased. They are biased based on our own needs, wishes, working/playing styles, user interface preferences, etc. Our decision was made by us after we compared in some way. This experience was asked for.

I have never touched or tried the Axe FX but I don't miss this experience because from the information and thoughts and demos and examples I found on the net, it was pretty easy for me to decide. The Kemper Profiler does exactly what I was looking for and I'm the "amp based" guy, Andy was talking about. I could have returned it if I wouldn't have been pleased. But now it's here at my side and I'm sure I will keep it for a loooooong time. Yes, this is biased again, because that's me, myself and I. What's wrong about that? If I was more into "trippy and wild effects" and if I was interested in weird ways to "virtually build amps", I would have probably chosen the Axe FX.

One more biased word regarding the price difference:
    I can't see a big difference in price if you take into account that you will spend some bucks on great profiles to make your Profiler shine. Yes, there are quite a few great, free profiles on the Rig Exchange. I'm sure everyone can find some gems there. But don't underestimate the quality of the commercial profiles available. Just keep some bugdet for great profiles.

And finally some words on the downsides of the Kemper Profiler:
    The build quality is great when you receive your brand new Profiler. It feels and looks great. But there are some flaws to be honest. I've seen better LCD displays and the LEDs slowly started to die little more than 6 months after my purchase and this happens to quite a few owners. And there are some missing features that are constantly being discussed on these forums. But if I have to tell my satisfaction with the Profiler as is, I would say 95%.

Cheers,
    Martin

Not much objectivity in the two posts above. So it goes in fanboy land. :) ... The above is laughable at best.

Is it part of your culture to insult people all the time? We use to have a different way to discuss things here, as far as I experience.

The "pros" in question (David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Page) won't use either of the two devices. It's as simple as that. And it's just as simple to understand that it's way easier in Kemperland to get your hands on the actual amp's profile of one of the afore mentioned artists. But you simply ignore this fact and keep bashing people.

To be very clear: I'm NOT a Kemper fanboy. There were reasons I chose the Profiler over the Axe FX and I dare to write about my reasons wherever I like. Live with it.

Pretty sure he was looking for real answers not internet fanboy memes. ;)

Thanks for your opinion.
    You should have rather quoted the following statement:

Quote from lightbox

Remember that your guitar heroes didn't sit in front of an LCD display squeezing and tweaking their sounds out of a stupid piece of silicium.
    They listened to and tried different amps.

This is my preference, no matter what you say. And I decided to go for the Profiler because it allowed my to easily get amazing profiles of the real stuff that I dial in and enjoy without tweaking at all.
    Try to find a Fender Vibrolux in Fractal's world, try to find Gilmour's very own HiWatt amp, try to find the brilliant Orange Matamp on the Axe Change, try to find the Marshall Bluesbreaker on the Axe Change. I can't although I tried. And I'm not willing to take another Axe FX amp's model and tweak the hell out of it to get close to what I'm actually looking for. I certainly prefer the "real" stuff. And since the OP seems to be in the same ballpark in terms of favourite music styles, I could imagine that he will have similar preferences.

Again, just my 2 cents
    Martin

If you want to spend time tweaking, buy the Axe FX.
    If you want to spend time playing guitar, buy the Kemper Profiler.

Remember that your guitar heroes didn't sit in front of an LCD display squeezing and tweaking their sounds out of a stupid piece of silicium.
    They listened to and tried different amps.
    And that's what I like about the Kemper Profiler. Lots of profiles available of the rarest and most expensive and best sounding tube amps I could never afford or even just try.

Have a look at the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, if it still fits with your budget. It has S/PDIF In/Out, MIDI In/Out, MixControl software for zero latency monitor and headphones mixes. The included sequencer software probably works but wouldn't be my first choice for recording and mixing. But that applies to pretty much all bundled basic software versions with other interfaces as well. :)

I'm sure you'll get a lot of help and advice here to setup your gear as soon as we know what exactly you want to connect and what you want to do. The Kemper Profiler and the above audio interface are flexible enough to have pretty different custom setups. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

Basic requirements: ... 6-8 instrument ins ...

Erm, maybe I should have noted that there are only 2 instrument inputs (Hi-Z) on the Liquid Saffire 56 and the Saffire Pro 40.
    But since I can't imagine you have 6-8 guitar heroes playing and recording DI at the same time, this shouldn't be an issue. Just wanted to add that bit of info. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your reasons although it's (obviously) inconvenient for us users. I don't even know if it helps in a legal way if users embed copyright content from external sources instead of actually uploading it to Kemper's server.

Basically... if buying again would you still consider this or is there something else I've missed? Also any buyer regret? Latency issues? Any thoughts at all!

I had the Focusrite Saffire Pro 26i/o for many years and I wanted to upgrade recently. I would have bought the Saffire Pro 40 but I wanted to avoid these combi jacks. So I went for the Liquid Saffire 56.
    As a long time Focusrite user I can tell you that I'm very happy with their products and most importantly their long time driver support. MixControl is a great piece of software once you get how it works. Very powerful and convenient. The only downside compared to my old 26i/o is the fact that the newer ones can't run standalone (without computer connected). But that's ok with me.

The big benefit of having the Liquid 56 is the separate plugs on the backpanel. You can keep up to 16 devices connected (18 if we add the 2 Hi-Z inputs on the front panel) and you just select them using the MixControl software. I like that a lot! Another benefit of having the Liquid 56 is the fact that you have all connectors on the back panel, apart from the instrument inputs of channel 3 and 4 and the per channel setting of phantom power. The Liquid Preamps (the preamp simulation) is very good but probably nothing you really need to have.

If you want to do band recordings you will like the zero latency mixes and the great routing options of the Focusrite MixControl, even individual mixes for each of the 2 Headphones Outputs.

If you can deal with the 2 combi jacks on the front panel and if you can deal with the combi jacks on the back panel ... go for the Saffire Pro 40. It's a great piece of hardware. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

Shouldn't be a problem at all. You get adapters easily (from american to european and vice versa) because nobody in Brazil uses the official brazilian plugs. Only problem that can occur is that the german Schuko plugs won't fit directly. But you can always use a cheap adapter in between.

One thing to keep in mind though:
    Electricity is still some kind of voodoo, even in Brazil. So don't expect any ground connections to actually be connected to ground. This and the widespread use of pretty unshielded electric equipment can lead to some amazing RF and/or 60Hz noise in some places.

Cheers,
    Martin