Posts by nightlight

I find that my tone seems to change in a variety of settings, through different speakers, etc.Heck, the tone I thought sounded so good the night before might not hit the target the next day. I'm sure that the consistency you're experiencing with the settings you've found are the best option when going through your DXR10s. Always a good thing if you're able to monitor through them at the gig. But going into the PA, you might have a different experience. In such a situation, though, I'm sure you'll know what to do.

In fact, an alternative strategy, have you tried tweaking your output EQ to achieve the same results? I don't think you will, since it's most likely a resonance thing. But couldn't hurt to test and post back with your findings :)

Feel your pain. Sounds serious and I think you've exhausted the DIY options to rectify it. :(

Cheer up, sending it in to Kemper will ensure your unit is up and running in some weeks. Always that to look forward to.

Thank you very much those are some great suggestions, and I will follow them up when I have a chance. I have not set up the spdif recording yet on my KPA, but I've been meaning to. I don't think I would go through this effort on every tone I want to dial in, but for the tougher ones this sounds like the ticket, and it would allow me to explore all of the deep editing features without a guitar strapped to me. This is good because I really do need to sit down and learn more about the KPA. If only there were more hours in a day. :rolleyes:

dB

I hear you and I know the feeling. Someday's you know it's time to go to bed, but the Kemper has a hold on you. "It is evil" haha

You don't really need to go SPDIF, if you have analog connections, you're good for reamping. Just make the appropriate reamping settings in the output setting of your Kemper, i.e. set main output to guitar/stack and record the dry channel. Then, reamp by sending an output from your interface into the input of your Kemper. Might have to tweak clean/distorted sense a bit to get the response you're looking for. Record the output (after setting your master output to master stereo/stack afterward.

Reminder to self.
    Get this pack!

I second that. Haven't bought a profile so far, as a matter of principle, but damn... Till, some excellent work you've done here.

May I know exactly how many profiles are included in the pack? It says 24 multi-setups + 48 variations. Does that equal 48 profiles, with two variations each? Or maybe some multi-setups with multiple variations and some with just one?

I'm sure you're going to be the go-to guy for profiles in some time, just like you're the go-to guy for cabs. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Pops and clicks points to either a synchronisation error, or an insufficient buffer. There has to be a setting to set Kemper to master and thereafter, you should be able to sync the Digimax to the D8, I'm guessing you won't need additional hardware to sync it all up, since it is only three pieces of equipment.

Sure, I'll send you the rig, Don, it was the KM_Bog People rig from the factory presets.

My input and output LEDs are normal when playing direct through my guitar, the input goes into yellow/orange territory, but doesn't hit red. The output LED stays green for the most part. But when I reamp, there is definite clipping at the input, it seems to go red a lot and I was compensating for it by reducing the output level of the DI track when reamping.

That does look like clipping, silly me. Perhaps my clean sense is too high, it's about 3.2 right now, Was getting an optimal response from my guitar... Or so I thought I shall back it down and run some tests to see whether the issue is resolved.

Great of you to help me troubleshoot, Don. Thank you again!

Maybe the star system could be improved by integrating reviews that can be expanded upon clicking on a profile. Reason being it's so easy to click on a star rating and not furnish any explanation. Perhaps this would dissuade serial clickers, though I think the success of the system will eventually depend on users being more responsible while rating.

If the rating is badly done (and this is so subjective), it will be impossible to conduct an objective assessment of the quality of sound. This would be irrespective of the number of stars or reviews.

Thanks for the reply, Don. I don't think gain comes into the equation, I recorded the DI track via SPDIF and there aren't any settings for input sensitivity on that input ?(

I'm figuring that pickup height is the culprit here, thanks viabcroce. Probably need a little more routing to get those strings away from the magnets. Will also try wiring in some capacitors/resistors, meambobbo, thanks.

I got a WildePickups one.

I just saw on billlawrence.com that Bill passed away on November 2nd...

Bill Lawrence passed away? Really sad news, he seemed like a great guy. I always felt a lot of joy watching him noodle away on the guitar at some of those expos. Really sad news.

I dived into recording with the Kemper over the past few days and I'll tell you this, man: the context in which you're hearing the sound can be critical. By that, I mean the guitar tone might sound like what you had in mind, but when you add some bass and drums, things can suddenly sound jarringly different from what you thought they would in the mix.

Here's how I would structure your workflow:
    1) Pick amplifier, take it as close as you can go to the sound on the recording
    2) Play song, record the DI track
    3) Add bass, drums, vox, etc. "Wipeout!"
    4) Playing back the whole mix and reamping using SPDIF, audition sounds once more. It's also easier to tweak when the whole thing is playing back to you.
    5) Commit to sound, record reamped track.

You should be good to go this way. Best of luck!

Thanks, Don. You're right, I don't notice this problem when just jamming, but when I play back, I hear this "woof" sound.

That's a new perspective and something I need to look into. I'm in an untreated room which is hexagonal in shape. My Dynaudio BM5A monitors aren't on isopads, I placed them on a couple of thick reference books to get them to ear-level... They're rear-ported and about 2 feet away from the wall, but because of the shape of the room, I'm sure there's a lot of reflection going on. Not an ideal situation, but being a rented place, I guess it wouldn't be wise to attempt any structural modifications. Still, perhaps I should invest in a couple of those egg crate foam things and try to minimise the damage.

I don't have the same problem when using my bass guitar either, seems to me that the pickup is "responsible", though nakedzen and lohworm's ideas are working well.

I don't experience the same issue when listening to consumer CDs, I have a really nice record collection. Definitely going to PM you with the DI track, I can hear the issue on my hi-fi speakers as well and I think proximity between the strings and the pickup are the culprit. Those L500XLs are huge! Do you have the Wilde Bill Lawrence pups or the Bill Lawrence USA ones?