Posts by Fireloogie

I just found out that it might need a selfpowered USB hub so the P1 gets powered. I do not know if the Kemper itself powers via USB. I e-mailed the P1 company and will post an update when they have answered.

Cheers :)

Hi guys,

I have done a lot of research and (re)discovered this very interesting controller:

http://www.nektartech.com/PRODUCTS/Panorama-P1

Main thing is, I want a device to controll Cubase AND the Kemper and I do not want to buy two devices. I like the idea of having it sitting on the table or having it attached to a mic stand. Great thing about it, you can attach a footcontroller also, to start e.g. the looper or change presets (for live a small number of presets will do it for me). Now I am wondering, if I am overseeing something, why the P1 should not work with the KPA via USB to MIDI cable. Any worries here?

Nice day everyone!

Well I can not see if this an option, but here is how I power my KPA:

http://www.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_gpa_400.htm
    + 2 of these:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

Advantages:

• First of all: Sounds great! V30 speakers and the GPA is very transparent, which is good for powering the KPA.
    • I can use these at home AND at rehearsal AND gigs.
    • Stereo. The image width is not fixed.
    • Loud enough & works fluidly.
    • Portable: I can carry those on my own, which was a pain in the ass when gigging with a 4x12.
    • Speakers can be stapled vertically, which saves space.
    • For some sounds a single 1x12 (therefore mono) sounds better imho. Well, possible of course.
    • Looks cool.
    • Did not burn all my money :D .

Nice day everyone.

I think they want to make it perfect, with the integration of Rig Exchange, the possibility to edit Performances and the whole MIDI assignment for external controllers. About time nevertheless ;). I guess it is no. 1 prio, before the spring.

Regards

Vielen Dank Christoph Kemper.
    Das hat meine Kaufentscheidung für den nächsten Monat maßgeblich in Richtung Telecaster beeinflusst :).
    Daumen hoch für den Service und das Forum. Wahrlich nicht zu unterschätzen bei Geräten wie dem Profiler.
    MFG

Just wondering. Has anyone tried the Dispatch Master with the Kemper? Not exactly a spring reverb, but I like the idea of timebased fx in one pedal, as I like my delay before the reverb and buying a reverb would mean buying a delay, too. Since I am shure that Kemper will come up with something for us one day, I can see the Dispatch Master staying on my board even then for ambient stuff...

http://earthquakerdevices.com/shop/Dispatch Master/cat/13093

And the Boss RV6 sounds challeching, too.

Would be stereo. But is that sooo important? When nature gives you mono reverb only? I can see the need for chorus though. Hm...

@ sambrox:
    cannot quote for some reason, my text seems gone also... so in short: the 6i6 is doing a great job and works flawlessly. together with the kemper you can record at pro level via s/pdif. plus you get some useful plug ins with it. the audient features optical ins/outs though and you could get a converter optical > s/pdif. these are not too expensive and work great without any sound loss.

greetings

+1 for Focusrite. I have recently bought a Scarlett 6i6, too, and the KPA runs through my system via s/pdif. Two great things about the Scarlett:

• True Stereo on the monitor way

Which suprisingly many interfaces do not have (e.g. the Steinberg stuff in the lower price region or the presonus budget devices). Other interfaces do the hardware monitoring mono and sum it up to a pseudo-stereo image, which is crap for mixing and sound details.

Secondly:

• The monitor is also working on the s/pdif

Which is not common given the price. Though there must be some kind of latency because of the conversion, I do not feel it - and I am very picky when it comes to latency. My computer is not the newest one, and I can run Cubase, You Tube, and the Kemper simultaneously without any negative interference. That was not possible with my Native Instruments K6 interface, though other people seem to have good experiences with that one. It also has true stereo on the monitor btw. But NI was not helpful, I mailed them several times and all I got was a strange workaround where I should install a lot of software to check out my pc. They finally stopped answering, I also cannot recommend M-Audio since they have a very bad driver support. You will never know, if their devices will stand against the next windows update. Happened to me and a lot of others as can be read in their forums.

greetings

I've been so close to purchasing the Strymon spring/tremolo pedal so many times, but then I always think to myself, it must be coming in the next update... It's been two years since I first said that to myself...

Absolutely the same here with their El Capistan which has a spring reverb, too. But the reverbs on the flint sound awesome in the vids!

C'mon Mr.K, at least let us know ;) . We are not going to sell our KPAs if it is not in focus, but some uf us might want to expand theirs.

IR will NEVER be able to capture the true sound of a guitar cab, as they are static in nature. Guitar cabinets are non-linear; their response changes depending on the signal that is feeding them. This is why many people refer to cabinet IRs as sounding dull, lifeless or flat. I've no idea how the KPA goes about emulating the cabinet portion of a profile, but for me personally, they sound much more lifelike and lively than any static IRs I've tried to play through. Of course, some may prefer the sound of IRs, so of course for them having a built in IR creator could be beneficial. However, I'm not sure how the KPA could implement such an option that differs from the current Studio/DA/Merged profiling process.

Good point! Yeah, it is why I wrote "as close as it gets". However there are parameters that mimic the "movement" you mentioned, also on modeling devices (e.g. "air"). Nevertheless, I will not say, that the KPA can not go beyond the quality of good IRs, please do not get me wrong here.

Greetings

Hm, seems a small comment from The K-Team would be appreciated. I would get me the Holy Grail Reverb by then. Because I need it. Want it. Spring addicted. So many wonderful tubes, no springs. X/

OK, but lets not forget what the Kemper is about. - its not a Digital Preamp, it does not "Simulate" Amp heads, it profiles..

I may be wrong : )

Andy - I do not get this somehow. Impulse Responses are actually samples, which are way closer to the idea of a profile (and the other way round) than to a synthetically generated (modeled) sound on a device like the POD. Before the KPA I was using the well known LePou Plugins LeCab IR Reader instead of the cabsim inside the POD. No comparison.

Yet I have to figure out the cab options inside the KPA, but - given you have a good quality IR library - to be able to use high quality samples of a miced cab cannot be bad in any way. It is as close as it gets, similar to the KPA when profiling. It works on reverbs in the whole NI-universe (and other brands) and sounds a 1000 times more realistic than most onboard algorithms unless maybe you have one of those 10K+ reverb units from Lexicon or TC.

Sum up, Why would one want to use IRs on the Kemper? Because it is very close to the idea of the Kemper. A snapshort from the real world, made tweakable.

No contradiction in my humble opinion - unless I am getting something worng :)

Greetings

How do you change Patches Fireloogie?

You mean on the Kemper? Well, I am still thinking about that. As you can see I am not into huge boards. Though I dig the look of the Remote, I need something smaller, just to switch presets. So I have an eye on this one:

http://www.one-control.com/gecko-midi-switcher.html

I could swap it for the Zoom on the board in a sec and I am totally set for live. Nevertheless: I asked about the gecko here on the forum before, and there have been some great tips on other small midi-controllers. So I am still thinking about it... ?( which is on the fun side for me :rolleyes:

Greetings