Posts by Cederick

Doesn't anybody else have this problem?

I got this problem first time trying the Kemper at home by connecting an Engl preamp directly into it, and no matter how much I did the refining process, there was always some kind of trebley addition to the sound, and a some bottom end was gone too. Every time, I think re-profiled maybe 4-5 times and every time I refined like 10 times each...

So now I am in the rehearsal and am trying to mic up a cab (because that was the main answer in my previous thread, that the Kemper is better at profiling miced up cabs)...
    But I get THE SAME ISSUE HERE! I have tried going with the Engl preamp both through a tube poweramp, and through the Engls own built-in poweramp.
    No matter how much I refine, there is always a slight lack of depth and addition of the same irritating trebley sound.
    It cannot be a faulty unit, because I tried a Lunchbox version first, but then got back and bought myself a Rackmount version and both had the exact same issue.

So what to do now? I will post sound examples when I have access to faster internet again (I'm in rehearsal and its slow as hell)

Actually, I have heard this "additional treble" sound in a couple of "kemper vs real" audioclips on Soundcloud for example... So seems like I'm not alone either!

Regarding levels for reamping: No worries. I would keep the spikes at maybe -10dB, and the "steady state" signal/sustain/RMS wherever that puts it. As long as you gain stage as described in the manual with the reamp sense, then no worries.

Distortion sense is not what you're looking for.

My advice would be: simply use the volume knob of the guitar, take it down a couple of notches.

That's just silly! It could work the knob has "stages", but if it's a regular pot especially with a dome knob or something, you can never know exactly how you had before.

I think a rule of thumb is to try and make the sound as good as possible just having the volume pot on max. I always have it on max unless I dont play, then it's on 0 :thumbup:

Anyway, I also has this issue with things going red at -12

The only thing I have done to prevent this is by screwing down the pickup a bit. I did that it went away, but I'm not sure I like the sound... I prefer the pickups close to the string so the signal gets real hot. So I don't know what to do now really

Is it possible to profile an amp with multiband enhancer connected in the FX loop?

I know most effects are not profilable, but my ideal sound incorporates that enhancer so it would be great if it was possible.

Thinking of doing my first real profiling sessions tomorrow in my rehearsal :)

Make sure the SPDIF is matching in terms of 44k or 48k, if there's a mismatch you'll have a problem.

Where do I do that?

those Clean and Distortion Sense settings don't seem right.

I know for certain that new units ship with Distortion Sense set to 0, and I'm reasonably certain that Clean Sense ships that way as well.

I would suggest resetting them, making sure gain staging is correct, and possibly recording in some other fashion than SPDIF for now, just to rule that out.

But I can't have it higher than -12 or it goes red... :(

I wanna go with SPDIF because I don't wanna go through my soundcards preamps. If I had a soundcard clean nonamped inputs I would use it... Or does it matter? At least I don't wanna have to mess up the volume by accidently touching the input gain knob, that could ruin entire recordings!

Note that the Distortion Sens has nothing to do with level but only with the amount of distortion across all rigs (global). You can bring it back to zero unless you feel that there's too much distortion due to a guitar with high output PU's.

Ok... I have no idea

Does your Kemper sound ok through headphones? if so try recording from the main outs and see how that sounds. also do you have Tills cabs loaded up? they will thicken up and improve many profiles. keep at it ! good luck ...

I dont listen through headphones since the volume is so high and there's no dedicated headphones volume control, so I dont wanna screw around with the volumes and get different volumes and stuff all the time.

All output EQs are at 0.0

Here's a song from my bands upcoming album, first time recording an album with Kemper... I didn't have full understanding of how it worked so in retrospect the guitar sound is pretty dull and muddy, but I guess it's fine
    https://stormspell.bandcamp.co…t-in-the-enchanted-forest

I'm thinking of profiling my rehearsal Engl rig and tweak exactly to how I want it, because I have gone through so many profiles and can't really get there.

Does the Kemper work well with profiling things like enhancers and stuff? I have a rack sonic enhancer which is really cool to get close to my semi-fizzy preference of sound, but maybe Kemper can't profile those if I have it in the amp chain? I know it can't profile reverb and delay and stuff like that,of course

I use SPDIF connection
    The input light is on green, but can go a bit yellow when strumming hard, but the output is constant green except not playing haha

However, I do really need to have my Clean Sense down in the bottom at -12 otherwise it starts getting red, while the Distorted sense is at -4 only

Those profiles sound not-that-great. Even a great amp can be profiled badly. Some are created for recording, others for live playback. What you are missing from these tones is lower mids and mids.

Is this sound thick enough for you?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…745912/theconstant_g1.mp3

I didn't like that sound, it's way too clunky.

I'm after a sound like this, it starts at 0:42:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sharp and distorted as fuck but still heavy

I just use whatever cab comes with the profiles I download through rig manager, I don't use any real cabs in my home studio

I dont know what FRFR are

I haven't read the entire manual but I shouldn't be experienced troubles just be starting up and not fiddle with anything? BEcause I haven't, I try to avoid trobule at all costs

I just realized I have SUPER THIN sound and I have no idea why

This weekend I brought some recording equipment to one of my bands gigs and also recorded the three other bands

EDIT: THE LINKS DOESNT WORK TO CLICK ON, PLEASE MARK THE WHOLE LINE ALL THE WAY UNTIL "dl=0" AND COPY PASTE TO YOUR ADRESS FIELD, OTHERWISE YOU JUST GET 404 ERROR

Here's the first band, this time I miced their speaker:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f185jduepfxcce/other band live 1.mp3?dl=0

Here's the second band, which I recorded directly with Radial DIs and then just added some Cubase ampsim plugin
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/og6a2fjkltm1kzs/other band live 2.mp3?dl=0

Here's the third band, which I then again just miced up
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vg4rtkspww11e0/other band live 3.mp3?dl=0

Notice how full all these guitar sound.

Then comes Kemper...

I recorded directly (just like the second band) and when I got home I reamped with Kemper hoping for a great sound but fuck no, it sounds thin and lifeless
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4eiu8l4cujekwjc/my band live.mp3?dl=0
    (please note I play drums in this band, so it's not me playing guitar... we play punk rock so dont expect any virtiuosity haha)

Anyway, I just had to try out some 3 different profiles and yeah, they ALL sound thin and boring.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i27tv3g2pxcaaz5/3 different proriles.mp3?dl=0

There's no power in any of them, and they are all profiles of 5150s and Engl Savages, so they SHOULD be powerful.

And YES before you start saying stuff like the bass is in the bttom, I know all stuff about highpass filters, and I dont like mid-scooped guitar sounds, and bla bla.

What I wonder is why my sounds are so THIN compared to both real amps and that Cubase ampsim plugin (which doesnt even sound good, but still fuller than Kemper?!

I reamped with SPDIF, and then I tried the same thing iwht Main Outputs both through XLR and guitar cables, but nothing works.

I have also checked output settings, and all EQs are at 0.0db so nothing wrong there...

What am I doing wrong? please help :(

I had no trouble setting up reamping sessions with my Tascam US-1641, but after moving to a apartment I hooked up my US-144 instead to save some space.

I am QUITE SURE I connected everything right with the SPDIF cables but it doesn't work as I want it to:

1. I can record guitar through Front Input through the SPDIF output to my Tascam
    2. I CANNOT get the signal to go from Tascam SPDIF output to my Kemper

And yes I have the input set to SPDIF ...

Does anybody have a clue what to do??

I never thought about that either...

Maybe it was therefor my guitars sounded bad? But I'm quite picky about how I setup my guitars and I'm SURE I did it right; I could play stuff down low and stuff high up and it sounded very good intonation-wise.

I guess this is a stupid question but can I simply rename profiles?

Instead of "stock names" I wanna name them after my different bands/projects like "Breitenhold rhythm" and "Breitenhold solo" and then "Mortyr rhythm" etc etc etc.

I'm confused... how can a guitar be intonated TOO well? Isn't that like saying "my car's steering alignment is too good"?

It's not a problem if you have Evertune on your bass too, and a "Evertune Tremolo"... But your bass and tremolo guitars are still regular intonation. That makes the Evertune sound bad in comparison to the others, or the other way, depening on which instrument is in the foreground.

Lack of sustain and thinner tone would be a total deal breaker for me.

For rhythm guitar it's not a big deal, but you can't do a high note in a solo without it dying out in a couple of seconds.

I could definitely think to have a Evertune guitar with Sustainer/Sustaniac installed in the neck position, still doesn't get rid of the intonation "issue"

I built a Warmoth Evertune guitar once and while I really loved that it was staying in tune for months without having to reach for the tuners, I really thought there was two major downsides to this system after using it for a while:

1. Lack of sustain on higher notes, and somewheat thin tone
    This is quite obvious, and something that I was totally ready to foresee, since my guitar was mainly built for rhythm guitar recordings (I use a fair deal of Floyd Rose divebombs and stuff in solos). Thin tone must have been because it doesn't have any real contact with the body. I had EMG 81 in three guitars, one Les Paul, one Warmoth with Floyd Rose and also in the Evertune guitar; the Les Paul sounded full and punchy, the Floyd Rose was a bit thinner, and then Evertune sounded really thin. And this was EMGs ; they do NOT make all guitars sound the same.

2. The intonation is too good
    Now this is the real deal breaker! A properly setup hardtail/floyd guitar sounds different (worse) than the Evertune in comparison. The Evertune intonates too well, actually. And for me, that's no a good thing. And that's because I really like my Floyd Rose guitars and my regular hardtail bass... But it sounded different to those.

BUT STILL I'M TEMPTED TO GET MYSELF ANOTHER EVERTUNE GUITAR! And that's because the tuning stability.

I come VERY close with Tremol-No on my Floyd Rose guitar, with that it holds perfect tune for a very long time, but I still don't think it's perfect.

Anybody else who can show an A/B comparison with Evertune vs hardtail/Floyd Rose guitar done with Kemper?

But the intonation issue still remains... Gah!!! X/

Got my Kemper yesterday and I'm already having so much fun!!!

Anybody else who thinks this profile is excellent? I loved it right from the start, but it really sounds best without additional EQ.

Right now I'm reamping the guitars for my bands upcoming album with it, but I will also use SAVAGESHRED2 by some guy called Chris. EXCELLENT profile of the Engl Savage.

Here's a reamping session with TAF Van \m/ Halen in action :love: anybody else using this profile?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.