Clean sens issue

• I am recording a guitar with a very hot output. We tried to lower the pickup, but the input on the Kemper still flashes red on and off. Not all the time but every 5 seconds or so. Not the fierce red. But it's still red. I have turned the clean sens down to -12. Can I do more than that? I do not want an overloaded signal at the input already.

That at leads me to another issue. I am recording both a clean and a distorted signal with S/PDIF through git/stack. Very cool. But the clean signal is very low from the Kemper. I know I can adjust the input gain within the DAW, but can't I get a more similar output from the Kemper if the clean sens is turned down to -12? Do I have to adjust the distortion sens as well?

Off topic: At what lever would you record a clean signal for reamping? The clean signal is not very compressed and have a lot of spikes and a lot of signal that is very low recorded. Would you even bother as long as the signal is recorded? I am thinking that the less noise the better. So a signal around -6 dB? But what I get is a signal around -12 and some spikes of course.

• Regarding levels for reamping: No worries. I would keep the spikes at maybe -10dB, and the "steady state" signal/sustain/RMS wherever that puts it. As long as you gain stage as described in the manual with the reamp sense, then no worries.

Distortion sense is not what you're looking for.

My advice would be: simply use the volume knob of the guitar, take it down a couple of notches.

• Regarding levels for reamping: No worries. I would keep the spikes at maybe -10dB, and the "steady state" signal/sustain/RMS wherever that puts it. As long as you gain stage as described in the manual with the reamp sense, then no worries.

Distortion sense is not what you're looking for.

My advice would be: simply use the volume knob of the guitar, take it down a couple of notches.

That's just silly! It could work the knob has "stages", but if it's a regular pot especially with a dome knob or something, you can never know exactly how you had before.

I think a rule of thumb is to try and make the sound as good as possible just having the volume pot on max. I always have it on max unless I dont play, then it's on 0 :thumbup:

Anyway, I also has this issue with things going red at -12

The only thing I have done to prevent this is by screwing down the pickup a bit. I did that it went away, but I'm not sure I like the sound... I prefer the pickups close to the string so the signal gets real hot. So I don't know what to do now really

• I think your clean sense at -12 is the reason your cleans are so low. Set it once so the volume of your clean channels match your distorted channels and then get out of the Input section. Seeing red on the Input LED is only a problem if you hear clipping. My main guitar is about the same, shows red quite a bit but it's never clipping audibly.

• I am recording a guitar with a very hot output. We tried to lower the pickup, but the input on the Kemper still flashes red on and off. Not all the time but every 5 seconds or so. Not the fierce red. But it's still red.

this should not a be problem, CK stated that there is quite a bit of headroom.
    listen to the DI - it should be fine.

and yes - your DI volume is directly linked to your clean sense setting.

• What do you mean?

If I record an album and do recordings during a long time, and want to have a consistant sound, I can't go around trying to find the exact spot of the volume knob. Everything has to be constistant.

My point is that it's fairly easy to get in the ballpark volume-wise with the knob on the guitar. No, it won't be exact, but if you get it to where you don't hear the difference in solo, then the listener won't notice in the mix. Use a notepad or track notes in the daw to document (say, volume a quarter down) to facilitate the process.

In general, from a production standpoint, I'd advise against recording over a long time. Sure, for preproduction etc, take the time you want. But when the recording process starts "for real", I'd go as fast as I can. That's just friendly advice, and a bit unrelated :)

More related, however: If you're going to be recording over a long period of time, you are going to want to change to fresh strings quite often. Otherwise, you'll likely have bigger sound problems than what is related to the volume pot on the guitar :)

• I think your clean sense at -12 is the reason your cleans are so low. Set it once so the volume of your clean channels match your distorted channels and then get out of the Input section. Seeing red on the Input LED is only a problem if you hear clipping. My main guitar is about the same, shows red quite a bit but it's never clipping audibly.

I think I am a victim of many years of trying to avoid the red color, so I think I will keep it at -12 just to be safe. Even though I don't feel safe, because it flashes red once in a while. And yes...I know that the low clean output has a lot to do with the fact that the clean sens is at -12. I can hear/see that when regulating the clean sens. I just hoped there was something else I could do.

More related, however: If you're going to be recording over a long period of time, you are going to want to change to fresh strings quite often. Otherwise, you'll likely have bigger sound problems than what is related to the volume pot on the guitar :)

Hey Michael...nice to see a fellow dane out in the big www :)

• I take photos of my settings with my phone for recalling sounds.
    Or better yet, a small video that covers the entire signal chain and the players face.
    Be sure to keyword/tag the images.

Powered Rack / Windows 10