Posts by Monkey_Man

I wonder whether or not they were running special custom-wound versions that were superior to the street models, Don?

Do any of you find that, although most of the available profiles are amazing, you still find yourself doing some regular corrective EQ'ing to remove that harsh 2.3k - 4k region that can be very obvious with digital processing? In a mix it's generally not too bad, but I find that I still have to add a studio EQ in the Kemper's X slot, just to kill some of the fizz. Sometimes i think my ears are just too sensitive to that region - it's like that whole "what has been heard, cannot be unheard" kinda thing.

I'm just a fussy buggar, me thinks.

Hey, we're all fussy buggers; that's why we bought Kempers!

I wonder if dialling a little Pure Cab™ processing in would help your situation. It's my first port of call when the obvious Pick, Presence and Treble parameters fail to tame things sufficiently. Also, for me, dialling back the Definition control can help.

A little amp compression might help smooth things out too.

For me, the culprit is usually phase cancellation due to the mixing of more than one mic or the placement of a single one. That's where I'm a ridiculously-fussy bugger. I can't stand phase cancellation, especially where it hurts most - in the high mids and highs; this is why I ignore Pure Cab™ at my peril.

Yeah, it's way too low to affect what these guys are talking about here.

I hear it too - just a little weight missing in action.

Whenever I hear this 'though, such as in A/B comparison videos, I always imagine the sounds in a mix and the negligible differences become redundant.

My humble opinion is that Kemper advancement shouldn't be overly concerned with what Fractal or Line 6 are doing when it comes to the pleathora of features but rather focus on what really made Kemper successful, unique and trendsetter, not just a follower on the footsteps of those who've been making guitar workstation with thousands of effects and parameters. That's been done over and over...Kemper is probably cooking up something completely different and brilliant, if I was to guess, not the same tired old chorus, flange ,reverb, audio interface midi controller blah ,bla blah

Yeah, IIRC the GSP2101, which was a blend of 12AX7 and digital technology, already had routing complex enough to have many scratching their heads. That was in what, the mid '90s?

Companies will always devise new, ever-more complex routing schemes. The question for me is the utility of 'em. There's an inversely-proportional relationship between their sophistication and the number of end users who're both willing and able to take full advantage of them.

So, the question "Can the KPA produce a Pat Metheny tone?" has been answered. ;)

Not sure if the man himself can produce it these days, if that White House gig's anything to go by.

Gianfranco, I just saw that the same thought occurred to you, mate. Great minds... great minds. :D

Exactly, see? That's why we were discussing it.

There seems to be no discernible pattern to it, at least, not one that we've cottoned onto yet...

Till clarifying I just count the stars on my cognac bottle. :D

:D

EDIT: Now I'm the only one on this page who has stars.

EDIT: Two days later, and now they've gone... again.

Perhaps. But who's to say, other than Kemper himself, that I am wrong?

Exactly, that's why I finished with the line, "IMHO it's difficult to know for certain what CK meant, but that's my take for what it's worth. I don't see it in any way as hinting at a new model."

I re-quoted CK to show that you quoted him out of context, and now you're doing the same to me.

You guys keep bringing up the tone. I think I've already explained that I definitely prefer the tone of the Kemper, that's why I have one for crying out loud, lol. I'm talking about features here. Keyword: FEATURES.

:)

I quoted CK to show that you quoted him out of context. I had to mention tone when "translating" what I thought he was saying, and in the first quote it's obvious that this is what he was referring to.

When you say, "... you guys...", you must mean practically everyone in the thread, no? Here're some samples posted since you made this comment:

But, my friend, I don't play with features. Usually I make music with tone.

Other than that - routing shmouting.. no other digital amp on the market is even close to what Kemper can do pure tone wise.

In my opinion, this isn't necessarily true. While I think extra features can definitely be a bonus, a lot of tone purists are interested in the most authentic amp tone possible.

In my opinion, excessive tweaking can lead to loss of perspective, and that's the one area I think Kemper has an advantage. It offers immediacy of great tone. That said, I do love and use the Axe FX's effects, but admittedly the amp modeling leaves me a bit cold.

Most guitarists I know and see playing need a good amp tone and a few effects. Nothing too special or freaked out stuff...

He also is a user who doesn't use it for its amp tones but as an FX unit.

But, my friend, I don't play with features. Usually I make music with tone.

But can I fault the Kemper for not being a synth? Not at all. I know that it's main strength is as a tone machine. So while a Kemper 2 would definitely be on my "get it now" list, the urge to upgrade for "additional features" beyond just a tone engine may be somewhat vitiated by the fact that the core sound is the same.

My 2 cents, I'm a hobby player and it's all about the tone and ease of use. Less time tweaking more time playing

Phew! A futile excersise, yes, but it brings home the point potently that what Kemper users have been after (until they bought the unit/s) is decent tone. There. I said it. This has obviously been frustrating for you, Jose. I wouldn't discount the possibility that most, if not all of us, totally get where you're coming from; it's just that we're responding by saying what's important to us, and in the vast majority of cases, it's tone. That's why we bought these things.

There will be a point where tone between the top devices of this kind will not matter at all, and all that will matter are features. And believe me, we are VERY close to that point (some people may even argue that we're already there). This (features) is where the Kemper is falling behind.

It isn't falling behind. It started behind, 'cause the emphasis has always been on amp sounds. See that? I managed to avoid using the word, "tone". LOL In many senses, it's actually catching up, with the most-obvious exception being in terms of complex routing.

"VERY close"? C'mon, mate. There's a reason hard-core valve heads' jaws drop when they've never come close to doing so before due to modellers. Actually, there're several reasons, with sound, response and feel being chief amongst them.

Agreed for the most part. So... essentially, everyone's gotta catch up to the Helix. The scribble strips look awesome. A Kemper foot controller and / or integrated floor unit with strips would be killer for many users, wouldn't it?

Smaller form factor? Mate, the Helix is HUGE! Place a Kemper toaster or rack next to one and it'll be dwarfed.

Anyway, I get you. I think we all get you. Cheers, Jose. We all appreciate passion in these here parts, so keep it up, mate.

I means I'm a certified-five-star goose, mate. :D

I see no stars under my avatar right now, and earlier in the thread (for most of it) I didn't either.

The interesting thing about this thread, for me, was that the members who's stars showed varied from day to day (specifically, every time I visited I saw differences, which was roughly once a day).

No idea, mate.

I've a philosophy of leaving my mistakes (apart from grammatical and spelling ones) intact for all to see. This way, I learn "better".

IOW, if you do find out how to do this, please don't tell me any details! :D

I'm also super interested in buying the system and hooking it up at my day job, although it might not go down well with my counterpart in our mother company - we wouldn't be able to exchange projects/sessions without him also investing at the very least in the software side of things. Hmmm...

... which one can't do; the SW comes with the mic and pre.

I have one on order and should be receiving it within the next week or two. I'll post my impressions once I've had a chance to play with it.

Woohoo! Yes, please do this, mate.