Posts by Monkey_Man

The 1959 Randy Rhodes from the exchange, I think. Called 1959RR... I think.

I lowered the treble a little and cranked the gain to 5 o'clock, and it became the rig with the highest mojo rating of all of mine. My lil' brother, who's an LP man, loves it too; it's his fave. Mojo for miles.

The trick is to lower the treble and crank the gain at least a little. The initial treble setting makes it scratchy and nothing special, but as soon as you lower it, the mojo starts to kick in magically, almost from nowhere.

I've banged on about this profile before, but nobody's agreed or got excited, and I'm guessing it's 'cause they didn't lower the treble in the amp stack...

Agreed. The more complicated it becomes, the less folks will employ it for live playing.

I was assuming you meant a guitar-based effect. Something like midi timecode-based slicing of a section once you hit the button. I used to have a slicer on my old GT-8, it was pretty cool if you were feeling like playing techno or other electronic music. With a midi synced slicer, things might be even more interesting. Going back to the idea of an outboard effect, it would be cool if we could use midi note messages to further manipulate the slices based on the notes received - not that I'm sure how that would work, perhaps attaching the slices to a certain key.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, mate. All we'd need is a MIDI-clock feed and we'd be away.

On the MIDI-note thing, they could be used to trigger pitch variations, so that, for instance, each slice could play a successive note in a scale or one could construct short melodies a la an arpeggiator. Just a thought.

No, that's why I tagged you two!

This tagging thing has bugged me for quite some time, Sam.

Anyone able to quickly explain to this ignorant Monkey what this is all about and how it works?

Thank you very much in advance.

Lol, well a woman is at the centre of it all ("at the centre of it all" (David Bowie - Backstar)) in the tragicomedy that is my life as well. So I was just hazarding a guess.

You hazard a guess at a hazard, mate.

Oh, you can set up the module for use with an acoustic drum kit as well. That goes for any module, just need to attach triggers to the drums. You must have seen one attached to an a-kit.

Thought so after what you said. Must've been set up that way.

But the 2Box kit as a whole either has rubber pads or mesh heads (depending on the country, due to patent issues with Roland). Even if you get one with rubber pads, you can swap them out for the mesh heads yourself. It is quite silent.

Thanks man. Good to know.

I would avoid the really low end stuff when looking at e-drums, unfortunately, the prices of edits have dipped quite a bit over the years, but it still costs a fair amount to get a realistic kit.

Correct. I've been running Roland brains for years 'though (currently TD-30) as MIDI sound sources, so all I'm really after is a decent e-kit for input. This is why I considered BarfRinger et al 'cause money is an issue, but every time I do this research (every 7 years or so on average), I come to the same conclusion: For triggering it's either Yammy or Rolly.

The 2Box fits comfortably into the high end, imo. Misses out on a couple of features like positional sensing on the Roland and the hardware is not as good, but the ability to load VST sounds on to the module is a big plus.

I imagine that for live use that'd be awesome.

Seeing as I only want to get MIDI into the 'puter with a realtime-monitoring signal (the TD-30) for later use with either the Rolly brain or VIs, such a feature would be redundant. I expect that for many, other than those needing it for gigging, this would be the case. I'm no expert 'though.

Thank you for sharing, nightlight, and again, well done on all the purchases!

Just hook it up as you would for any other direct profile as per Kemper instructions.

If you've got the 1073 pre and are only using the DI input, it'd be great to have the pre itself profiled and uploaded to the exchange; we've already got at least one other mic pre up there (Avalon?), but it'd be wonderful to have more IMHO. If there's EQ on it just set if flat or disengage it if there's a switch, unless you want to profile a bunch of settings as well. The flat, straight-up pre would be a great start 'though.

Give it a go and let us know how you travel, Tychomusic.

Yup. I imagined this too.

There really are two sides to this. Maybe try to tweak for both, say, a "bright" or "edgy" and a "warm" or "dark"?

You're the boss, man. If it's too much work, I wouldn't worry about it, but it would be nice to have both.

We all want more profiles, after all; it's a freakin' disease in these here parts...

I meant whilst playing the guitar, of course, nightlight, but it occurred to me after re-reading the post today that it could have been taken to mean that I was proposing a purely outboard effect. As I don't have a stutter plug-in or a point-and-shoot, "loopy" or "fruity" DAW, this sort of outboard FX use could sure be handy too.

Well, it's a relief to know you took no offence, Andy. Ripper, mate.

Speaking of smoke, I wonder if any came out of vablows' ears:

LOL

With all that crap in your pants I don't suppose you noticed whether or not any smoke came out your ears. :D