Posts by SpinnerDeluxe

In my experience it's more the early reflections that reveal the space's size and therefore push it back the more you crank the 'verb, Spinner. Not exclusively-so, but more-so, if you know what I mean.

+1.

I'd be inclined to shorten the tail anyway to avoid mix clutter via the decay setting unless, of course, there's no other option (unlikely), in which case gating is all that remains. In passages where it's desirable to hear a tail, such as when the arrangement's sparse or nothing else is playing, automation can be used to mute the main 'verb and activate a copy of the same algorithm, but one where the tail's much-more evident. Alternatively, the decay setting could be automated.

I fully agree again with one minor exception: "there's no other option (unlikely)". If this is meant just for reverb, then IMHO its perfectly right. But if its meant in general to sweeten vocals without pushing them back in the mix then there is still a chance... :P

I have to come back to what many on this board call "phase issues", as if its deadly poison. :D Historically this came from orchestra and jazz recordings. For the first its true until today. But not for many modern jazz sub-genres and not at all for pop or rock. Quite the opposite is true!

What is *reverb* - technically?

The early reflections are the direct echoes of walls. Delayed. And out of phase. And those are telling us much about the distance of the vocalist to us. The later, more taily sound is a massive numbers of echoes of echoes of echoes, including the walls further away and then bounced back echoes bouncing back. Just to be bounced back again. Again: massive numbers of delayed multi-path signals with different phases. This is telling us much about the size and structure of the room. Dull reflections mean softer walls, bright reflections mean tile, brick or concrete.

So *the other option* is: For upfront into the face vocals do not use reverb to sweeten or fatten the vocals. Just split the signal into delay 1, delay 2 and direct (dry). Play with delay times (in the order of couple of ms, well below 60ms or so). This is introducing phase issues! 8o Just as any room does. Adjust the delay times until it sounds right. Its just the same as you would change the reverb from this to that until it sounds right. Its not science. Phase issues can wreck your sound. Or magically sweeten it. 8) Delays being so small will not act as Early Reflections and creating distance!

To refine things: insert a micro pitch into each delay path. Insert EQ after micro pitch, to roll off treble and cleanup bass to taste. If the sound got better, but not strong enough, the add another delay path. Or why not 5 more others? ;)

(Funny enough: this is again Phil Collins, but this time its his vocals and not the drums. He colaborated with Eventide, if I remeber correctly...)

I said that Kemper doesn't seem to be driven solely by profit, not that it wasn't a factor at all

I do also think you are right. Listen to Mr. Kemper himself on YT interviews. If you can read between the lines you will asure yourself, that he was sololey interested to solve the digi-tube-sim problem. He was even complaining about customers saying the Kemper can sound better than the real thing. :D His mission was to make it sound the same, *not* better! This is engineers- or problem-solvers-talk, not so much salesman bulls**t. He has to pay his staff, though. And yes, its not charity. But price-value of Kemper stuff is excellent to me...

with more modern components I guess you could achieve the same result with a tenth of the size... and maybe cheaper too...

...and would lose the greatest user interface on a digi amp ever. To me its all about haptics, real knobs with proper spacing.

What I could imagine though: Dial in the sounds with the toaster and transfer those to a standalone floorboard with just some knobs for volume matching. Would be one piece less to carry around...

Vox - trickier, 'cause you don't want to push it back too far. I reckon a small room or small plate for this one, and again, mostly early reflections. Throw in a little delay to help it gel.

You could also consider a gate after the reverb. Set it to a level where it cuts the reverb tail quite early. When doing so you could use more reverb to thicken the vocals without pushing it back by the reverb tails...

I don't think anybody is taking away your buttons and knobs (especially not on the older models), and where sometimes running an app can be a pain in the ass, it can also be incredibly helpful.

I am creating and using software since 1980. And from the very beginning I was very much interested in what software can do for music. Many aspects of that were just fantastic and this is true until today. BUT:

Leave my (mechanical) knobs and switches where they are! :D

Mostly for one reason: Each and every bit of gear which needed a piece of software to be operated properly just went out of operation because of that. Hardware changed (Commodore, Atari, Mac, PC, SmartPhone), operating systems changed, compatibility issues after so many updates on the OS, and so forth. Chances are (not far from 100%) that you will not have a proper device to run the software in 10 or 15 years from now. But the knobs and switches will still be there to operate the Kemper.

To the other negative attitudes and overly defensive fanboys, it is you who are hurting reputations. The manner in which some of you are acting, the personal attacks & accusations are just disgraceful. They reflect negatively not only upon you but the good people of the forum

I see.

99.9% of the members here are getting instant help and support for each and any problem. Myself got never attacked by anybody- even with my most beginner stupid questions back then.

No more words.

Oh, and went to the InMusic booth to check out the Headrush pedalboard but they have it roped off and you have to set a private meeting. Never encountered that before. I decided it wasn't worth it and I'll just wait for someone legitimate to demo it as it's released.

I think the touch screen is really a nice idea. Unfortunately the demoed sounds are not telling me much.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The coolest feature: hands-free tweaking :D Just press stomps and use the expression pedal to dial in values...

I mean really I know it sounds almost dead on and great there but I'd be interested to know if there are any definite values.

Yep, the very best is to double check with the eyes as well. But most important is finally the ears, and you seem to like what you hear... (which is remarkable in the case of H3000 comparison!)

The EV12L is a great sounding high-efficiency beast with 100 dB for one watt. With the proper horn and crossover you will enter the FRFR road. I prefer that over classic guitar cabinets. Give it a shot!

Dont use Mic on the DXR10.

Use the Line input of the DXR10 and set it to neutral (if there is such a setting, meaning: when driven at full line level it will produce its maximum, undistorted loudness). If you do that you will be able to control the loudness with the main volume of the Kemper with the least possible hiss. I'd use the XLR out.

Anyway, I guess that I would be better off with a FRFR speaker cab. If I would use, let's say, a Marshall 4x12 cab I would be stuck to only that kind of speakers for every song ...right?

Yes.

I go FRFR because I want my sound to be consistent. On any decent FRFR system, like any PA, any pair of studio monitors or studio headphones.

One thing to consider: you need way more power on the FRFR than on a tube amp. The FRFR may by no means add any further distortion or clipping. It will instantly kill the sound. So you need more headroom, more power and even better: high efficiency speakers.

I totally understand how many people won't even be bothered by sub 5ms latency. It depends on a number of factors. If you tend to play blues or legato style solos you'd never even notice anything. Probably not notice even 10ms. But if you play very precise, fast passages, especially quasi-muted runs or fast repetitious patterns,,etc, then latency can be maddening. More so for people who are used to recording and hearing instant reaction in the cans. On stage it's a whole other thing, but then so is everything else flying around in the air. Recording is a whole other animal, the two cannot be compared.

What you describe means that you just are not able to synchronize to others, not even a playback. Not being able to compensate latency is killing. You should not just sell the Kemper, no, its best to sell the guitars as well. To claim that blues is kindof sloppy and inprecise timing-wise tells me, that you have no clue what groove means, especially not laid-back groove.

Example: you would not have been able to play on a stage with other musicians at the analog and non-in-ear-times. Why? Because being away from the own amp and the other amps and the drumkit by just a couple of meters introduces analog latency in the range of milli-seconds. Now move around, get away from your own amp and approach the drums - then the audience. Ever changing latency, and any good musician will compensate for that - without even thinking.

Imagine a full orchestra on a generous stage. The musicians are spread apart by up to 20 meters , some are 10 meters away from the conductor, others are very close. This means the analog latency for the musicians related to each other and the conductor is in the range of say 3 to 60 (!) ms. How come they are able to play like *one instrument*?

Think about why you sound so horrible. Its all about the weakest link in the chain.