To Keep or not to Keep .... * RESOLVED *

• I seriously doubt he's trolling. Some people are more nit-picky over details than others, and when you consider how much a KPA costs it's easy to see how a person with these tendencies might kick it up a notch or two. I tend to be more of a "Don't sweat the little stuff" kind of person, but I can still understand it when others aren't as relaxed about things as I am. It's all good.

Plus, there's apparently something we don't yet know that Sonic's chosen not to share at this point, for reasons he believes are prudent and valid.

I can't wait to finally learn wassup wit' all this.

• I seriously doubt he's trolling. Some people are more nit-picky over details than others, and when you consider how much a KPA costs it's easy to see how a person with these tendencies might kick it up a notch or two. I tend to be more of a "Don't sweat the little stuff" kind of person, but I can still understand it when others aren't as relaxed about things as I am. It's all good.

When I first got my KPA, I was also ridiculously paranoid about anything that was 'off' compared to my tube amps. Any hint of 'digitalness' or problems related to it being digital, I was a major skeptic. I was hearing all sorts of things that I was convinced weren't natural. Eventually, I learned that it sounds exactly like most amps that are profiled, especially after turning off any effects and the input noise gate. Having that up too high (I didn't realise at the time that the setting was saved with the profile) can cause some funny artefacts when lowering the volume knob or the gain on the profile, and most of the stuff I thought I was hearing or feeling was related to that. Everything else was in my head...

• Dean is right. These questions belong in the Private forum. Where registered Kemper users can post.

IMO This is someone's 2nd username and he's talking to himself. Literally. And the sad thing is, I have a feeling this user has multiple usernames on here.

• Plus, there's apparently something we don't yet know that Sonic's chosen not to share at this point, for reasons he believes are prudent and valid.

To Monkey, Frodebro and all the other sensible forum members who have commented, I thank you again for your patience and willingness to help. (BTW, Monkey, you are probably correct in your assumption)

To the other negative attitudes and overly defensive fanboys, it is you who are hurting reputations. The manner in which some of you are acting, the personal attacks & accusations are just disgraceful. They reflect negatively not only upon you but the good people of the forum. And it is that very behavior that is the largest single contributor to why some of my threads have grown so unnecessarily long. If the moderator(s) need to be doing something, it is probably giving warnings to some of these offenders. Grow up and learn to stay on topic, otherwise keep the accusations and personal attacks to yourself.

I have said a number of times how cool and impressive the magic box is, the features, the concept, etc. The feel. The tones are coming into scope now that we determined the poor POD/J-Station esque result of my profile attempts appear limited to a specific amp. That caused a great deal of confusion at first. Once again, I am still working through one outstanding issue and one outstanding question. Your support and patience is appreciated, and is indeed valuable.

Regards,

Sonic

• Sonic, with all due respect, you have a strange way of going about winning friends and influencing people. Pretty much EVERYBODY involved in this thread has tried to help you, to one degree or another...including yours truly. If some people have "given up", and perhaps been a little less than charitable, it is only after exhaustive appeals to get you to perform even the most rudimentary (and reasonable) trouble shooting exercises. Unless I missed something, I still have not seen you confirm you have upgraded your KPA to latest public release OS. Unless I missed another thing...you still refuse to contact Kemper GmbH Technical Support. If you had, you would have told us by now.

Is it really that hard for you to understand why some forum members have grown a bit frustrated, or that others have begun to question your true sincerity and motivations? ?(

I would respectfully suggest you ask a Moderator to CLOSE THIS THREAD.

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• To the other negative attitudes and overly defensive fanboys, it is you who are hurting reputations. The manner in which some of you are acting, the personal attacks & accusations are just disgraceful. They reflect negatively not only upon you but the good people of the forum

I see.

99.9% of the members here are getting instant help and support for each and any problem. Myself got never attacked by anybody- even with my most beginner stupid questions back then.

No more words.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Well, looks like the verdict is in and here are the final results:

1. To answer the very first question asked, no.

2. As a response to a couple helpful suggestions, upgrade to latest firmware, breath, register your product, take a deeper breath, contact support, and then exhale knowing that no matter what you tell yourself, you are right to yourself for yourself.

Best of success to ya.

<eats the last two big sour patch kids, crumbles up the wrapper, chuckes up the deuces, throws away the wrapper and then exits.>

• You know, with a sour patch kids bag, if you don't like it, you could always just give (sell) it to someone else. That's what perplexes me about this thread.

First thing I did when I got my Kemper was register. You can't even access the rig exchange without registering, I think.

• Okay, an update just for fairness and anybody who was wondering....

It took more time & effort than I can possibly convey to get to the bottom of things. Yes, the settings play a minor factor. More treble of course helps (as was already identified and discussed) however adding a little sag also helped. Don't ask me why since it would seem counter-intuitive, but it does help.

However the main culprits were this: My headphone extension and the Fireface. The headphone extension must be badly corroded or something inside the connector (which is a strange Zinc-alloy looking connector), but here's the bottom line with that ---> I was sort of fooled. All the troubleshooting I originally did on this issue was through the Fireface. I only later dragged the extension out to plug directly into the KPA as a cross-check. So when I immediately noticed issues when connected directly to the KPA as well I just assumed the extension was the sole problem. Turns out that isn't the case, it was only poor enough to quickly make me assume the extension was the issue when it was only partially to blame. Rather it was mostly in the Fireface. Granted there is indeed extra latency introduced by the KPA but that's not what I was hearing & feeling so much.

Here's what happened, will try to explain this best I can (remember I'm an analog guy still sometimes struggling with the digital world):

I had never really used the Fireface (FF) as a stand-alone unit, which it is capable of being. I had always turned on my whole DAW. I also never used S/PDIF before on the FF. You can "flash" the FF to remember whatever the current settings are when the DAW is running. And it will remember this on next power up even if the DAW is not fired up. So what happened was, the FF apparently had stored inside it a default configuration from original purchase many years ago that had all the inputs "open" (not muted). So I come along after all these years and always start my DAW and the FF then loads up whatever the settings the DAW has running/stored. Makes senseso far, right? Well, somewhere along the way while testing out the KPA I thought why should I keep powering up my DAW and have it running for hours on end? I can just turn on the FF and everything will be just as well. WRONG! What happened was this..... While running the DAW I could see clearly things were properly set in the FF software - I either had the analog input * OR * the S/PDIF input open. But never both. HOWEVER, when I power up just the FF it was defaulting to the long-ago internal settings that had BOTH channels open. So the "latency" I was hearing was almost like a phase cancellation kind of thing, which is not nearly as noticeable when riffing chords, but when you go to play fast solo notes all of a sudden the attack is squashed, which is what I assumed was a latency issue. Making matter more confusing, if I turned on the DAW the FF would adjust it's settings to the DAW but then if I powered down the DAW but left the FF running it would retain those correct settings - only until powered down after which it would then load the default settings again. So there were THREE different scenarios involved and it wasn't until I powered the DAW back up and noticed a change in overall tone that I realized something else was going on. It's bad enough when you have two variable scenarios but I had THREE going on without realizing it. So it made testing and troubleshooting inconsistent and extremely confusing.

Anyway, hope I explained all that properly. What I was hearing & feeling was in fact very real. It just wasn't due to the KPA latency after all.

I will mark this post as 'Resolved".

And FWIW I decided to keep the Kemper....

• @SonicExporer really glad you sorted your issues. That would indeed have driven me nuts if I was in the same position. I hope this whole experience hasn't put you off asking for help or sharing your experiences on here. Although some have less patience than others, most of us are willing and happy to help.