Hello - not a user yet but hope to be soon

• Hello everyone,

I've been browsing here for a while and am hoping to get a KPA very soon. So I thought I'd introduce myself, say why the KPA is looking good and ask a couple of questions.

I've 44 and have been playing since I was 26 (late starter by many people's standards). I enjoy all kinds of music - favourites include Radiohead, Elbow, PJ Harvey, Muse, Placebo, Wolf People and Elliott Smith. But I'll enjoy pretty much anything that involves a well-written song.

When I first started, I was badly advised on which amp to get and ended up with an early Marshall Valvestate. It was really bad and so was I so the noise made wasn't great! I moved onto digital stuff (Boss GT series, Pods, Digitech, Guitar Rig etc). Then about 3 years ago I bought a small valve amp - a Matamp C7. This thing made me realise finally what I'd been missing in my sound for all of those years - it 'does what it does', but in the range it has it's wonderful. I've since built my own kit-build 12w amp which has power scaling. It's voiced pretty clean and, again, it it's zone it's great. I also build my own effects pedals, though they're all just clones. And I've got 3 of the Strymon pedals (Flint, Timeline and Mobius).

Guitar-wise, most of my collection is low-end stuff. But I do have a G&L Legacy, a Fender Deluxe Tele and a Godin LGX-SA. Two of these have been fitted with scatterwound pickups from this guy http://www.ekmpowershop6.com/e…/bulldogpickups/index.asp and the Tele set are on order. They really bring the best out of a plank of wood IMO.

I am now looking at modelling again - I love playing at home. I occasionally record. I play live about 3 times a year in an 8 piece covers band (I'm the only guitarist apart from a couple where we get joined by a 9th member :) ). We do anything 'dancable' and mainstream so set includes 'Shake a Tailfeather', 'Lady Marmalade', 'Love Shack', 'Hanging on the Telephone' etc.

I'd like something that gives me a lot of different voices BUT still makes my nice guitars with decent pickups sound their best. Might use it live, might not..... I just mic up the 12w home-brew amp and use my pedalboard ATM and it works well.

I recently bought and returned a Blackstar ID amp. The good thing was the versatility, the volume and the price. The high gain stuff was good but, as you can see from my favourite artists above and from our live set, I need great cleans and here was the problem. I'm unclear if it was faulty one or if they are all like it, but the digital hissssssssssss that came through was appalling! If you played a note and let it die away naturally, the hiss would be louder than the note by the time the note amplitude had died by half. This was on top of regular hum from pickups (which is minimal, I screen everything!). I a/b'd it with my home-made valve amp and not only was the valve amp 50 times quieter but it accurately let all of the lovely ringing harmonics come through. You know the interesting stuff that is there in the background? Warbly, chiming loveliness? Well, on the ID that was nearly all gone. It let some through but the benefit of a G&L Legacy with scatter wounds was suddenly lost as a lot of the character went. And what was there was hidden by the hiss!!

So it's looking like the higher end is the way to go for me - either the Kemper or the obvious competitor. Research seems to indicate that the Axe is better if you love tweaking and love effects. The Kemper is better at the actual guitar tones and is easier to get great sounds out of. This, coupled with the fact that it's a European company with EU support and it is considerably cheaper over here mean that the Kemper will be the system of choice if I can swing it with my wife ;)

Soooo. If I buy a Kemper, it'll be from a place that is 3 hours drive each way. I will go and try one but can you good folks here please answer the following:-

1. When on a clean rig, does the clean sense / noise gate(s) work to preserve as much of the subtle detail of your guitar as the original valve amp? In other words, if you just gently play a C Major chord / Am chord and let it die away, do you hear all of the lovely upper harmonics same as with a decent valve amp? And does the noise gate work well (so it gets rid of the hiss / hum without getting in the way)? It sounds dead quiet on all the clips out there but everyone is too busy playing impressive stuff that I can't tell if the 'interesting stuff' from the guitar comes through. I don't want to go down the modelling route if it is still the case that some of the information is thrown away and my good guitars sound the same as my cheap ones!

2. I'm a little confused by the recent rig packs at 2.0. The shop in question has a deal whereby you can get Amp Factory packs at a discount at the point of purchase. But am I right in thinking that the Amp Factory packs 1 and 2 are now included anyway?

Many thanks for reading if you made it this far :)

Gary

• Your first Question: Clean sense Has no effect on tone of you guitar, Clean sense is used to balance the perceived volume difference between Clean rigs and distorted rigs.
    The noise gate works great.

All your guitars will sound there best!
    Profiles of my own amp are more useful then the amp its self!

Edited once, last by troynova ().

• I'll share a slightly different opinion than the one given by Troynova about the clean sens, indeed it controls clean level but also affects semi-distorted or edge-of-breakup profiles. And since many tube amps change the low end and high end content depending on the input level, clean sens does affect the tone, so I'd take my time setting it properly if I were you. Here's a quick and dirty foolproof way to adjust it: strum as hard as you can and set it so the input LED barely lights yellow, and then take it down by 1.0. If you want to use it to hit the amp sweet spot you can turn it down from the initial barely-lit-yellow input LED until you hear a noticeable decrease in the high end (only happens in semi/distorted rigs).

IMHO the noise gate is key in letting amp detail shine through, I set it with each rig because the noise level obviously changes from profile to profile. Set too high it kills high end and detail, so I'd advise you to give it proper consideration.

Another important thing is listening through good speakers, I can only recommend the Yamaha DXR10 because it's what I own and works for me, others might chime in and give other recommendations on this.

Good luck!

• I agree with Deny. Very well said. One of the great features of the KPA is it has multiple gates. Some of the best clean and semi clean rigs I've heard use the more gentle 2:1 gate which seems to work great on single coil noise floors while preserving all the detail. For noisy higher gain rigs I've seen guys put a 4:1 in front of the 2:1 PLUS you always have the main input gate for additional noise control.

I think you'll gonna love the Kemper. It's a fantastic piece of guitar technology.

• From the manuals

"✔✔Note: Clean Sense is not a simple input gain; you will notice that it does not affect the gain of a distorted
    sound. Distortion Sense is also not a simple booster, as it does not affect the gain of clean sounds. Neither
    of these parameters colours the sound."

"If you feel that clean rigs sound softer or louder than distorted rigs, please don’t try to fix it by adjusting
    the volume of the rigs! Instead, you should readjust the “Clean Sens” parameter in the INPUT menu to
    match your guitar to the Kemper Profiler."

• There are so many other ways to influence the drive in to the amp section then to factor in your clean sense setting beyond its intended use is over thinking and making guitar voodoo :D

Ok I'll stop don't want to off track the thread.

• Thanks for all your replies :)

Sounds like the clean sense and noise gate combination should get me great results with all my guitars. The noise / potential stripping of detail were big concerns after my previous experiences.

Thanks also for the list of amp profiles - I can see I'm going to be kept very busy! Looking at the TAF profiles, it seems like most amps are covered BUT it'll only be one or two profiles vs many in the actual pack? I'll have to look once more at TAF website and see what is a 'must have' for my tastes.

As to 'where am I?' - I'm in the UK. I am familiar with Tampa though - my wife has family there and we've visited a couple of times. Like it very much :)

The good news is I've been given the go-ahead to get one. The bad news is my chosen shop is out of stock of black lunch boxes. No matter - it'll only be a couple of weeks and TBH life is busy at the moment so it's probably for the best that there will be a short delay! At least it will give me time to read the manual so I can hit the ground running when I finally get it.

One more quick question - spring reverb. Am I right in thinking there isn't one at the moment but one of the settings does a reasonable impression? I've a Strymon Flint that will go in the loop so it's not a huge concern.

• Yes, Clean Sens will affect semi/distorted sounds as well, as per CKemper himself.

From wikpa.org:

ckemper: Slightly distorted sounds will still be affected in volume by Clean Sense,
    since there is a certain transition window, not a hard distinction. The
    smooth transition is needed, since there is a soft transition between
    clean, crunch and heavy distorted sounds as well.

HTH

• Yes, Clean Sens will affect semi/distorted sounds as well, as per CKemper himself.

From wikpa.org:

HTH

I can quote too...

Ckemper July 12

While it's not the main topic here, I would appreciate not to tell the myth about Clean Sense affecting the tone and feel over and over. It is not true - proven.
    What the manual tells is the full story. Nothing beyond that.

• Thanks again folks.

Well, I've ordered one :)

The shop here is not due to get it in for another 10 days which is probably just as well..... I've got too much to do and wouldn't have the will power not to play it lots if it got here any sooner!

I've gone for the deal whereby I get a 1/2 price discount on Rig Pack 1 from TAF. I know I should just have waited and got used to the factory presets but everyone keeps saying how TAF are fabulous so it'd be a shame not to partake of a bargain. Oh, and I've ordered a bag too....

As well as everything else, I'm looking forward to seeing how it copes with pedals (see picture here).

http://i1287.photobucket.com/a…rdnight_1_zps16ea56ab.jpg

It's changing again as I've built a clone of an Analogman Sunlion (which is basically a tweaked fuzz face and a tweaked rangemaster in one box) and I'm also going to be building a Muff soon based around the Skreddy values (seems to be well thought of). Also, the Pearl Octaver clone will go..... I don't use it live and, with the harmony stuff in the Kemper anyway, there seems little point. It was a fun build though so I'll keep it around to play with in the future :)

I suspect that the Mobius, Flint and Timeline will move up onto my desk and go into the Kemper loop. Easier to tweak there!

• Hello all,

Just to say that my Kemper Blackface Toaster arrived today :D

Overwhelming - but in a good way. So far I absolutely love it :)

I've only had a couple of hours on in but have managed to find how to save favourites (lots in there already!!) and I've also updated to the latest software / put on the new factory rigs / put in a few of Andy's free ones from the ampmaker site / put on a few from the rig exchange.

Noise gate works well and it's all sounding good through my little home studio speakers. Lots of 'big grin' sounds in the first couple of hours. Putting on Andy's A-AC30 Clean+ profile and having a really good impression of Thom Yorke's sound on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYlR7ycoodc was great.

I'm liking the fact that the presets (if you'll indulge me calling them that) are focussed 99% on 'regular' sounds. Not super-weird stuff. Don't get me wrong, weird can be good but most units out there which are pretending to be an amp plus pedal board tend to have settings out of the box whereby you have no clue what the amp could be as there is so much other stuff chucked on it!

I can see why folks are so keen to get a librarian. There's over 500 profiles on here already and I got a bundle deal for some of Andy's stuff as well so, later on, it's going to have a bunch more. Heaven help me!