Looking for a clean, minimum tone coloring lead boost.

• I tend to like more clear, less distorted lead sounds and so far all the boosts I've found in my KPA add some distortion or color the sound. I figure maybe going an eq or compressor route? Probably something after the amp section to keep my original tone?

Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks!

Richard

• You just want a plain volume boost? The "Pure Booster" adds nothing but gain. Put it in the X slot for more loudness and in front of amp to push the amp harder. Or you could use an eq as boost and add some additional tone shaping to the lead. A compressor after the amp can also work nice for cleaner lead sounds.

• Along with Don's advice, I've also found that adjusting the distortion sense and the clean sense in the input section on a profile can really improve the sound. You just have to tailor it to the individual guitar.

• Along with Don's advice, I've also found that adjusting the distortion sense and the clean sense in the input section on a profile can really improve the sound. You just have to tailor it to the individual guitar.

Clean Sense and Distorted Sense cannot improve the sound.
    The first only changes the volume.
    The latter only changes the gain.

• all the boosts I've found in my KPA add some distortion or color the sound

Even the "Pure Booster" will add distortion in front of an amp because you are pushing the amp harder. This is how it works in the real world but, ...

You just want a plain volume boost? The "Pure Booster" adds nothing but gain. Put it in the X slot for more loudness and in front of amp to push the amp harder

... as Trazan said, putting the boost after the amp block could be the solution to your needs.

Saludos!

• Clean Sense and Distorted Sense cannot improve the sound.

This has been repeated so many times and i have the impression it will have to be repeated endlessly...
    Maybe make this a sticky?

• Depending on how you want to organize your rigs, you could use cab volume to make a louder version of a rig, and put it next to the quieter version in a performance slot/ or MIDI controller.

As mentioned above, using Pure boost in the X slot is another option.

I personally use the guitar volume knob, but that dosn't sound like turning up a fader on a mixing board, it reacts like an amp. (And, that's why I do it that way).

BTW - with FRFR, you can make it louder without changing the tone, with cab volume or pure boost. If you do that with a guitar cab, the speakers will react differently with any changes in level, so it wouldn't sound exactly the same at a different volume, no matter which way you do it.

• For balancing the volumes of rigs for a performance, we recomment the Rig Volume with its dedicated knob on the lower right.
    It will have the same neutral sound like the Cab Volume, but it's more visible and accessible.

If you want a transparent volume boost, use the pure booster on the X or MOD position, like it has been mentioned before.

• Clean Sense and Distorted Sense cannot improve the sound.

Christophe,

after 1.5 years of constantly explaining that Clean Sense and Distorted Sense don't change the sound maybe it's time to give up and and add some bizarre functionality to these features. Maybe as these features are adjusted they take on random behaviors - then people will say "I turned the Clean Sense to 4 and got this really great auto-wah sound, then turned Distorted Sence to -4 and it sounded like a treble booster combined with a phaser'.

Edited once, last by MaxTwang ().

• +1 on using an EQ in the X slot. The EQ gain set to +3 to +4 db with a little extra boost in the mids and mid-highs to taste yields a great lead tone that is not only louder but more in front of the mix as well.

bd

• Christophe,

after 1.5 years of constantly explaining that Clean Sense and Distorted Sense don't change the sound maybe it's time to give up and and add some bizarre functionality to these features. Maybe as these features are adjusted they take on random behaviors - then people will say "I turned the Clean Sense to 4 and got this really great auto-wah sound, then turned Distorted Sence to -4 and it sounded like a treble booster combined with a phaser'.

Yup,
    I have even more criminal thoughts in my mind.
    There is no need to change my code in that manner and spend work time. :)
    Things are much easier.
    It would not take more than telling the story that by carefull adjustments of the Cab Volume everybody could improve the sound.
    I guess no one would disagree and no one would prove me wrong :)

• Ah, that would be nasty! :)
    This would send some users into an infinite tweaking loop.... loop.... loop..... loooop..... looooop....... looooooop...... looooooooop......