Room effects on profiles

• Are you using the cab portion of KPA when going into the cabinet?

I'd try using a SS power amp instead. Or are you using preamp profiles with the 2:90? If you're using full profiles, the additional coloring and compression etc from the 2:90 might be too much.

The "amp in the room" sound is a faulty expression. Should be "cab in the room" sound, as it is the cabinet that makes the difference...and it can never be replicated through a regular fullrange (so called FRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFR) cabinet.

Are you using the cab portion of KPA when going into the cabinet?

I'd try using a SS power amp instead. Or are you using preamp profiles with the 2:90? If you're using full profiles, the additional coloring and compression etc from the 2:90 might be too much.

The "amp in the room" sound is a faulty expression. Should be "cab in the room" sound, as it is the cabinet that makes the difference...and it can never be replicated through a regular fullrange (so called FRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFR) cabinet.

thanks for your reply :)

I have monitor cab off and use monitor out.
    maybe you are right that my mesa 2:90 colors the sound too much. I'm surly need some Eq to get it to sound good.

I have tryed the pre amp bundle from Kemper team, but I like normal profil better with cab off.

I have the same problem when I play through headphones AGK 271 I have to use a ton Eq and a cab with a lot of headroom to get profiles to the sound Good
    space feature works okay when using headphones, But I cant get my sound the same as all the clip you guys opload on soundcloud.

My Yamaha DXR12 cant get near a 4x12 cab in the room, a shame as I was hoping the Yamaha to be the holy gral.. :D

When playing my JCM800 2203 and a 1982 4x12 cab I have a hole differet feeling that play any JCM800 rig on the kemper
    Every thing sound so compressed and not very open sounding on the kemper, just like a blanket over the speaker.

Maybe there's something wrong with my device. ;(

If I replace my Mesa 2:90 with a Matrix GT1000FX will that change anything, anyone tryed booth?

• I have tryed the pre amp bundle from Kemper team, but I like normal profil better with cab off.

Did you remember to turn cab back on when using the preamp profiles?

If I replace my Mesa 2:90 with a Matrix GT1000FX will that change anything, anyone tryed booth?

That would change things quite a bit. I'd try borrowing a SS amp first to see how it works for you. There isn't THAT much of a difference between the different brands, as long as it's powerful enough 8)

• Did you remember to turn cab back on when using the preamp profiles?

Yes, but it just sound thin to me, for my setup it work better with my goto cab an cab off on monitor out.

That would change things quite a bit. I'd try borrowing a SS amp first to see how it works for you. There isn't THAT much of a difference between the different brands, as long as it's powerful enough 8)

I will try to borrowing a SS amp then! :D

Thanks for your answer Trazan :)

• With all due respect Per, your position is contradictory in the extreme. Perhaps you should evaluate exactly what your trying to accomplish. It would seem someone really concerned with the old school way of recording might not be a good fit for the Kemper (and digital gear in general). A huge reason for the way things were done in the past was because they simply didn't have the options available today. I mean Malcolm Young recorded some overdubs for the Black Ice album using Amplitube at home, and it don't get much more old school than Malcolm.

That said, I really hope you find the tonal goal you're searching for. I think if you just opened up your options a bit you'd be able to find a happy medium using modern tech to emulate old school vibes.

• An update on this thread. My problem is still that I can't find a good way to emulate the room sound of an amp recording. I am totally happy with the KPA profiles; yet I just don't get how to create a good room sound. I have NI Guitar Rig; there the room simulation (control room) is very satisfactory - however, you need to choose a cab for that and the cab alters the sound of the KPA profiles in a bad way (2 cabs). Also I have Amplitube - same problem here. The reverbs (the ones contained in Guitar Rig e.g., convolution or standard reverbs) are okay, but I I am still looking for a good way to really emulate what GuitarRig does with the "control room" feature.
    How do others deal with this problem? Any further ideas?

• An update on this thread. My problem is still that I can't find a good way to emulate the room sound of an amp recording. I am totally happy with the KPA profiles; yet I just don't get how to create a good room sound. I have NI Guitar Rig; there the room simulation (control room) is very satisfactory - however, you need to choose a cab for that and the cab alters the sound of the KPA profiles in a bad way (2 cabs). Also I have Amplitube - same problem here. The reverbs (the ones contained in Guitar Rig e.g., convolution or standard reverbs) are okay, but I I am still looking for a good way to really emulate what GuitarRig does with the "control room" feature.
    How do others deal with this problem? Any further ideas?

What mixed song from a CD are you using for comparison to your dry mixed song? The effects used on the individual tracks contribute to the final sound in a much different way than trying to get an isolated "amp in the room" track. Try making your mix sound similar to the reference mix. If you get mix, EQ, and FX close enough to sound like it would fit on the CD, you are in great shape. The song is much more important than the subtleties of the reverb on guitar :)

• Even if the room is not captured by its length, all room reflections - and their typical overlaps and cancelations, that create a characteristic frequency responce - are captured in the profile.
    When mic's are close to the speaker (< 30cm), the room can be neglegted, IMO.

I'm 100% agree with this. :D