First live gig with Kemper this Saturday

• I am going to use the Kemper live for the first time and after reading many posts here I have a couple of questions.

My rig is like this: Kemper > Main out (in mono mode) to pa, and monitor out (cab simulation off) to a Magnum 44 and a 1x12 aimed at me as my monitor. I am not changing any eq other than to add a little bass to thicken up the bottom end through the 1x12 (I did this through the monitor config, not on a patch level.). I played through 4x12's for 20+ yrs and miss the thump :)

Question 1. Do I need to worry about the sound of the rigs through the pa? Will it sound good or do I need to mess with the EQ and try to work with the sound guy? Is there anything I can do to make the rigs sound as good as my old tube amp did? Or am I worried over nothing?

Question 2. How can I set up my FCB 1010 (all stock) to change rigs on the lower level and turn on/off the tuner and other stompboxes?

• Hi buddy

Regarding the FOH EQ the KPA will sound excellent flat and if the sound guy know what he's doing he will be able to make it sound even better when in the mix.

There is a YouTube video where but cant remember what its called sorry where someone explains how to set the stock FCB up to do what you need. The tuner however should come on when you turn the volume expression pedal to heel if you are in the 2.1 firmware.

Regarding the thump of a guitar cab don't worry to much about this as it takes a while to get used to this new but excellent sound in stage. I've been gigging my KPA for 10 months now and I could use anything else even my band mates agree with how good it sounds on stage now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Question 1. Do I need to worry about the sound of the rigs through the pa? Will it sound good or do I need to mess with the EQ and try to work with the sound guy? Is there anything I can do to make the rigs sound as good as my old tube amp did? Or am I worried over nothing?

How did you dial the sounds? Through fullrange speakers or through Monitor out > cab?

If you're going to go direct to PA live, you absolutely should chose and dial rigs using fullrange speaker (could be monitors or similar at home, but beware the top end/edge and bottom as it is easy to dial in too much of it as low levels...). Then compensate using the Monitor EQ for your cab on stage.

• How did you dial the sounds? Through fullrange speakers or through Monitor out > cab?

If you're going to go direct to PA live, you absolutely should chose and dial rigs using fullrange speaker (could be monitors or similar at home, but beware the top end/edge and bottom as it is easy to dial in too much of it as low levels...). Then compensate using the Monitor EQ for your cab on stage.

I did not change anything other than add/remove gain on each patch. I bought the Friedman Amp factory patches and did not do anything to them. I found that by turning off the cab simulation on the monitor send, the patches sound very good through my power amp and 1x12.

I changed the main out to mono, that was it, no other changes. I guess the real question is are the stock patches configured to sound good out the pa without any other adjustment?

Thank you for helping.

• The gig went great! The profiles sounded good through the pa, and through my 1x12. I am very happy to have the Kemper and am looking forward to many gigs with it.

• Great to hear that, the good sound was to be expected.
    There is actually a nice new aspect around live sound.

There is a good chance that you sound not just good on stage and to the audience, but significantly better than you have ever sounded with a tube amp.

We have several reports from absolute pro bands, that they sound better with the profiler.

We have found a critics report of a metal festival saying: "and band X had the best guitar sound of the whole festival". They played Profiler.

I visited a stadium concert of another band. Backstage the tour manager suddenly approached me. I never met him, and he is not a musician himself. He said: "Are you Mr Kemper? The band sounds so good and big with these new amps!". I was surprized and talked to the guitar technicians afterwards for a conclusion. Both bands mentioned are in business for 30 years.

My conclusion is: if you take a profile in a Studio with plenty of time, or if you carefully choose your profiles at home from all the professional content, and you adapt them to your playing, you evolve a superior situation, that is a 100% reproducable in every live situation. When you play your dedicated profiles along your favourite recording and it mixes well, your sound will be great in a live venue, since the recording should sound great too, played through the same PA.

Do you have a keyboarder in your band? Keyboarders have never worried too much about their live sound, cause they know their keyboards sound good through a good PA. If it doesn't sound good, then the PA has a problem, that affects the whole band. Your guitar sound could be such a reference sound as well.

Many profiles are taken with more than one microphone - a technique that is rarely used in live venues, when you are not a superstar.

You don't rely on the microphones and critical cables of the PA company. The microphone position will not vary from gig to gig. The crucial equalizing for compensating a mediocre microphone position is obsolete.

The sound is transferred by XLR cables at studio level. No stage DI boxes are required. Show the PA technician the ground lift switches. The Profiler is resistant against incoming phantom power from the mixer.

When you deliver a sound that was perfect in the rehearsals, he front mixer might not even touch the EQ of your channel and immediately proceed to the voice sound, for example.

Ask the FOH guy how your sound was. He might answer, that he lowered some bass frequencies to keep clear from the bass.
    Change your rigs accordingly, or modify the main output equalizer, when you play live. Your mission is completed,, when the FOH guy says, he only had to adapt your sound to this special venue.

Christoph Kemper

• +1.
    I think it even has more impact with the amateur/semi-professional bands where micing an amp usually is: "oh hey, a mic, lets put it ANYWHERE in front of the cab (i once played a gig where the soundguy wanted to hang down a SM57 from the cab as you do with the sennheiser e906 e.g. -> oh god why)" ... stage sound might be good, but FOH often sounds crap like that - with good profiles you don't have that problem. I often use a guitar cab to monitor on stage and just use profiles from soundside/taf without any tweaking - i tweak the monitor sound with the monitor eq. Never had such a good FOH sound.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• +1.
    I think it even has more impact with the amateur/semi-professional bands where micing an amp usually is: "oh hey, a mic, lets put it ANYWHERE in front of the cab (i once played a gig where the soundguy wanted to hang down a SM57 from the cab as you do with the sennheiser e906 e.g. -> oh god why)" ... stage sound might be good, but FOH often sounds crap like that - with good profiles you don't have that problem. I often use a guitar cab to monitor on stage and just use profiles from soundside/taf without any tweaking - i tweak the monitor sound with the monitor eq. Never had such a good FOH sound.

Back in the 60s and 70s it was very common to see SM57s draped over the front of an amp, hanging perpendicular to the speaker, right on the grill cloth. Many classic rock photos show 57s used this way, and that's why some lazy/clueless soundguys still do it. Not an optimal sound situation :D

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• CK,

Thank you for the reply. I am finding that I will eventually want to profile my rig, I tried today and it was clipping in the input. I can see the benefit of eventually doing so, I will feel like I am playing the rig I can't move any more. Right now I am enjoying the existing profiles, it is unreal how good they sound!

• I think Christoph really hit on something very important there. Your ear. It takes time getting used to the sound and feel of the KPA and for the players ear to adjust to the difference from a typical guitar amp. This is something I struggled with for a bit but am in love with some of the tones I'm getting with the KPA.
    My problem currently is crossing too much frequency with the bass. Stepping into his sonic space if you will. I back the bass down but it seems an eq setting may be a good route to dial the specific frequencies that conflict.
    I have a big gig in San Francisco next week. (big for me). Is will be my first gig running through the house PA. Looking forward to it.

RC