New Overwhelmed Kemper User

• Hey there. I'm new to posting on this forum but have been lurking for a couple weeks now.

So I finally got my Kemper today along with a Mackie Thump 12 powered speaker. First thing I did was download Maurizio's Backup Starting Pack. After playing with a bunch of the profiles I've noticed that things sound kinda digital and very boomy. So I guess right out of the gate my question is do I EQ that out at the speaker via its EQ controls or would I just leave it's EQ out of the equation and do it from the Kemper?

I REALLY want to like the Kemper. I feel that once I understand it, I'll be able to really enjoy it. But as of right now I'm completely underwhelmed by it. So far, though, I'm chalking it up to user error.

• 1. How are you monitoring with the Thump? If you have it sitting on the ground vertically, you will get a very boomy response. This is not unique to the thump but almost any PA speaker. To get a flatter response, it needs to be pole mounted or on it's side used as a wedge.

2. Please be more specific regarding sounding "kinda digital". More than likely something is set up incorrectly. Are you perhaps overdriving the Thump's input? The KPA can send a very hot signal. Do you have cabinets disabled either on the front panel or in the master output?

3. The Thump series are rather noisey. They have a noise gate built in to try and help things. At quieter room volumes, you will probably be hearing it kick in and out. Used to drive me nuts when I had mine. Just a heads up if things sound a little noisey and you hear it kcik in and out, it isn't the Kemper.

• 1. How are you monitoring with the Thump? If you have it sitting on the ground vertically, you will get a very boomy response. This is not unique to the thump but almost any PA speaker. To get a flatter response, it needs to be pole mounted or on it's side used as a wedge.

2. Please be more specific regarding sounding "kinda digital". More than likely something is set up incorrectly. Are you perhaps overdriving the Thump's input? The KPA can send a very hot signal. Do you have cabinets disabled either on the front panel or in the master output?

3. The Thump series are rather noisey. They have a noise gate built in to try and help things. At quieter room volumes, you will probably be hearing it kick in and out. Used to drive me nuts when I had mine. Just a heads up if things sound a little noisey and you hear it kcik in and out, it isn't the Kemper.

1) Thump is sitting on the floor.

2) Right now it's basically getting sounds that are worse than what I can get out of my Line 6 POD HD400. My Master Volume is set at 0.6. The cabs are enabled

3) Thanks for the tip!

• The starting pack of Maurizio is fantastic but I would definitely recommend you explore the factory rigs to start with.

A lot of them have not been tweaked to the taste of their creator and that means that you will have the true sound that was profiled since everything is basically at the noon position.

From there you will have a better idea how your whole setup behaves and you can make quick and basic adjustments to get the sound that you are after.

You will soon find out that some patterns will come out of your exploration and then you can tackle the rigs of others more easily since you will know what to boost or reduce to get what you want from those rigs.

My experience from Line6 to Kemper was literally night and day, a real eye opener as to what things should sound and behave.

Welcome here by the way.

• "Digital sounding" often means that you're getting preamp only.. Check how it sounds through headphones. Make sure that the Cab section is enabled, and whichever outs you're using to the thump don't have the cab disabled (output section) for monitoring.

• Try to check the EQ-settings in the OUTPUT section (by pressing the OUTPUT knob for a few seconds) - maybe there are some unwanted settings done?

Play it like you mean it.

• I hate to say this, but "kinda boomy" is the Thump. That's one of my least favorite powered speakers.

I'd attempt some corrective EQ. Start with the EQ on the back panel of the Thump. Listen to some recorded music through the Thump and try to tune out the boominess. If you can borrow some decent studio monitors for comparison, so much the better.

As far as the level goes:

Turn down the level control on the Thump; this'll let you raise the master on the KPA. In no case should the Thump's volume be more than half-way up; this gives it a sensitivity of +4 dBU for full output (which is going to be quite loud).

• I turned the Thump level down to just under halfway. I set up the profile using this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZj1G8rxTss

Mine sounded nothing like his. Way too trebly and boomy. I adjusted the bass and treble and it's much better but still not great. To my ears it still sounds very digital. Seems that I'm not having much luck with the gain stuff. That said, the 'Sultan' profile with a Strat sounds pretty nice. The reverb sounds weird but the profile itself sounds really good.

• I reverted back to factory settings. The TAF profiles sound pretty nice. I turned the bass all the way down on the Thump's EQ and that seems to help.

• I'm glad to hear you are having some success. Please stick with it - the end result is very much worth the effort.

It's a sad reality that all monitors and FRFR speakers are not created equally. And most of them aren't really a flat response.

Also, like StealthAMD said, try out all the factory patches. If you find one that's close, tweak it to your liking. The trick to getting the most out of a Kemper (or any modeler) is to get the speaker right. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be a challenge. But when you do, BAM! All of a sudden the KPA will become a whole new tonal world.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• ..try factory profiles along with backing tracks also.. maybe you will be amazed ;) good luck!

ps: it will take a bit of time till you find what works for you, your guitar, your ears ecc.. but you will find it, definitely!!

• I'm glad to hear you are having some success. Please stick with it - the end result is very much worth the effort.

It's a sad reality that all monitors and FRFR speakers are not created equally. And most of them aren't really a flat response.

Also, like StealthAMD said, try out all the factory patches. If you find one that's close, tweak it to your liking. The trick to getting the most out of a Kemper (or any modeler) is to get the speaker right. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be a challenge. But when you do, BAM! All of a sudden the KPA will become a whole new tonal world.

I think my biggest worry is that I'll get it to sound good out of my monitor and that when I send it out to FOH it will sound drastically different.

• It shouldnt sound drastically different. Maybe different but thats why there is a monitor out eq and a main out eq. Have you tried these yet? They are in the output section (output soft button). If youre going into your Mackie using monitor out of the Kemper you can set the eq how you like it on just the monitor. The main out controls the eqs to the main outs (XLRs) You'd be surprised how just minor tweaks, especially to the low end can really help. This is one of my favorite features of the Kemper. Good luck!

• I think my biggest worry is that I'll get it to sound good out of my monitor and that when I send it out to FOH it will sound drastically different.

It will. Even without taking into consideration that each soundman will treat your signal differently. Each system will sound different. In fact, even the same system in different rooms will sound different. In fact, the same room will sound different when empty versus full of people. Don't get too concerned with things sounding different, they always will even with a traditional amp. Your best bet is to dial thing in at a fairly loud volume and then hope the soundman knows what they are doing.

• It will. Even without taking into consideration that each soundman will treat your signal differently. Each system will sound different. In fact, even the same system in different rooms will sound different. In fact, the same room will sound different when empty versus full of people. Don't get too concerned with things sounding different, they always will even with a traditional amp. Your best bet is to dial thing in at a fairly loud volume and then hope the soundman knows what they are doing.

Very true. Don't worry about what you can't control 8)

But seriously, get your sound as good as possible through your monitor, and if you find that you can't stand the sound at FOH (because the EQ is so hard for your monitor), you can always have the soundman mic your monitor.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Downloaded some TAF profiles and am pretty stoked with what I'm hearing. I can't wait to break this thing out at band practice.

• The story is often the same - when you get a new amp (in this case the KPA), it takes a few days until your ears acclimatize to the new sound. I never had this with most of the modellers (and I had a lot of them), they all never had the sound I expected but after working a little with the KPA, I found my "own sound" in a rough version quickly. Till now (over one and a half year), I´m tweaking it in every studio session and every performance till it´s getting perfect. I´m nearly there....
    "It sounds digital to me..." is just a synonymously for dialing in a not optimally rig or worked to little with the amp - the KPA is like a chameleon and can sound however you want, it´s just up to you!

Play it like you mean it.

• Had it for almost a month. It's just not doing it for me. Sounds good on low volume and like ass at band volumes. After this long I should be able to have some decent sounds out of it at band volumes. When I plugged back into my Mesa Mark IV I realized that nothing replaces the sound and feel of a tube amp in a live setting. Everything is packed up and going back. Thanks Kemper. It was...interesting.