new user, the amp factory question

• Hello Forum

I have a question about buying "the amp factory "rigs
    Are they really better compared to the free / standard ones?
    There's a lot of free stuff on the amp factory site, as the "Classic Rig Pack/Vintage Cranked /Rock’N'Roll and so on.
    Can I compare those free rigs quality with there commercial rig packs or are the priced ones even better ?
    greatings
    Dorrus

• A few thoughts concerning your questions.

1. A lot of the factory profiles are awesome. They are very well- done, professional profiles.
    2. Also lots of the commercial profiles are done in a very prossional way and sound awesome.
    3. When you wade through the thousands of free profiles, findling the gems is a lot more difficult. Lots of them sound poor due to poor microphone technique. But at the same time there are real gems among them that sound just as good as any 'pro' or commercial profile.
    My favourites profile is a free one.

Best recommendation is to download some of the free profiles that get a lot of love in the forum.
    Afterwards maybe buy one or two commercial ones and compare. Also go back to the factory profiles from time to time.
    They don't get the love they deserve IMO.

• the JCM800 Hot Mod from TheAmpFactory remains one of my favourite profiles of all Kemper
    however the Engl Metal Pack from Jevo (free) is also one of the best

so it's not about them being better than free ones.

The samples are pretty faithful to the sound you can get with the profiles, so if there's an amp you really like, listen to its sample and buy it :)

• There are some great factory profiles. There are some great free profiles.

But however true this might be I recon I spend 95% of my Kemper hours playing 'something' from the Amp Factory.

The noise level tends to be better than the bulk of the factory / freebies out there and the 'wow to meh' ratio is exceptional. I love them.

• I personally gave up on the exchange and only stuck with TAF and a couple from Armin. Either my hearing is bad or the rest of the world's is but I just couldnt find a free profile that blew me away like the TAF profiles do. About 90% of what I tried on the exchange sounded HORRIBLE. To my ears most (not all of them, but most) were tinny sounding or just sounded like there was a blanket thrown over the speaker. I dont know... I'm probably crazy.

Most of the TAF profiles have a naturally organic life to them that give me the amp in the room vibe. I will admit that I'm not a metal guy in the sense that I'm composing djent styled tunes so I cant really comment on the "high gain" profiles that can be had on the exchange but most of what I tried made me feel like I was sonically getting drilled at the dentist.

Of course everything I just said above is totally subjective as one man's sonic garbage is another man's tonal nirvana. : ))

Try it all and you will, in short order, hone in on what profiles are most pleasing to your ears. After all that's what counts the most.

• Profiles are hit or miss but I suspect commercial profiles may provide a better ratio of hits, but personally as yet (14 months)I have never felt the need to try them. Way to much free candy to explore :P

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I have to agree with Ingolf on this, and my best profile(s) is totally free since they are my own,
    but as said there is alot of awesome profiles both from TheAmpFactory and Rig Exchange,
    and the profiles on Rig Exchange are just getting better and better!

• My personal opinion on this topic:
    It depends. :)
    It depends on what you're looking for. I like vintage, rare tube amps which have a very unique sound for the style(s) of music I prefer (Bluesrock, Blues, Ballads, ...). And I love the fact that Andy provides lots of gems that I wouldn't even find on the Rig Exchange. The quality of his profiles is outstanding, imho. And the added service of well crafted rigs from his raw profiles, the demo clips, and a nicely organized website is great as well.

The Rig Exchange is a big mess, sadly. It just isn't fun to browse, it's by no means inspirational, it's just a huge pile of profiles with a virtual headline "deal with it or stay away". I chose to stay away unless someone post a great demo of a specific rig on the Kemper forums.

I'm VERY happy to pay my small share for the products and services, Andy (and others) provide and I've not been disappointed so far. Don't expect to fall in love with every single rig you get. But there will always be one (or more) rigs that you will enjoy.

Cheers,
    Martin

• This might sound blunt but I think if you´re a metal-player you don´t really need to buy profiles to get AAA-quality. About 90% of my favourite rigs are free. And it´s quite easy to find great free metal profiles here in the forum.

• and if you're not only into metal, don't forget about the soundside profiles. that's what i use the most these days. and own ones of course, that are hidden in the rig-exchange... :)

• I'd just like to add in here, and for clarity..No you don't need to buy anything.

We provide a service. so guitar folk can come to us for a certain level of consistency in profiles.and because I have access too a large collection of amps, and will always have the privilege to be able to do so..

However, this does not mean that they are better or worse than any other profile authors work.. that's up to the player to decide based on his/her taste. - normally its about, the guitar they use and the creativity within themselves and how hey can adapt to many different flavors.

Nothing wrong with paid or free.. but the Kemper ships with a lot of great profiles, so I'd start there. and look upwards only if you have too.

Good luck in your search!, and let the forum guide you.

• Thanks for the answers guys !
    I just purchased the JCM800 Hot Mod from TheAmpFactory and its way way above my expectations !!!!
    These profiles are really good, no more doubt's were my next profiles are comming from :thumbup:

Edited once, last by Dorrus ().

• First you should get the "famous" Morgan AC20 from Rig Exchange (rmpacheco), it's one of the best profiles ever and it's free.

If you like authentic profiles you should also take a look at soundside.de, I would recommend the following profiles:

- Armin (Soundside.de): Fuchs Black Jack (if you like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford), Bogner Goldfinger, Suhr Badger 30, Plexi E (!), Diezel VH-4 (!), '57 Fender Deluxe (!)
    - Andy (TAF): Fender Toolkit (a lot of great Fender-amps), Fender Bassman '59 (!), Cornford Carrera (!)

There are also some useful Kemper presets like the Soldano from Peter Fisher, generally I prefer the commercial profiles, they are very well done with excellent equipment and mikes.
    For sure I don't know all commercial profiles, but you will find many great profiles at TAF and Soundside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I want to buy some TAF bundles. Which ones can you recommend to start with? I heard on YouTube excellent Hendrix and SRV rigs from TAF. What bundle is that?