Yamaha DXR10 review (3-week point)

• Holy f***ing shit, do these DXR10 sound great?! 8o
    And I just tried them using not only bedroom level but living room level, so to say.
    Can't wait to push them a bit more next week.

Thanks guys for the hard work promoting the Kemper Profiler / Yamaha DXR10 combination. Phantastic! :thumbup:

• I got the chance to try the yamaha dxr8 and dxr12's at a music store today. Unfortunately, they didn't have the 10's but I was still happy to try the others. I will say that these get louder than I ever imagined. I really loved the sound they produced but I have question that I thought maybe someone might be able to clear up.....is the "hiss" of the speaker able to be removed at all? After I left I realized a couple of things I wished I'd have tried. Does using the button on the kpa output cut this sound out? When I unplugged the kpa I didn't hear any hiss but I assume it's the amp on the dxr causing the hiss. Just curious if this is something that u have to live with or if there are ways to get around this. Any help from current owners would be greatly appreciated.

• A proper gain staging may go a long way. The Profiler is by far (in itself) less noisy than the Yamaha, so my advise would be to raise the output level in the KPA and lower the Yamaha's one. You'll see the noise level drops by a good amount.
    IIAR, the Yamaha has got only one level control per channel, so this is quite easy to accomplish :)

• Thank you for your response. I hope to get another chance to try this. The store is a decent drive from my house but I will try this method if i get another chance. I really want to pull the trigger but I'm the type to research every aspect before making a purchase. I wonder if anyone would choose the dxr over the clr if price wasn't an issue?

• I wonder if anyone would choose the dxr over the clr if price wasn't an issue?

Hmm... frankly speaking, if price wasn't an issue at all I assume one would go for the absolute best which is the CLR IMO.
    But sometimes it's not only about the price though but simply convenience.
    I own one DXR 10 and two CLR's.
    Most of the time I choose the DXR for gigs as I like its smaller footprint.

• I wonder if anyone would choose the dxr over the clr if price wasn't an issue?

Price wasn't an issue for me, and I chose the DXR10.

There are more features than simply how each speaker sounds (and remember, neither speaker is exactly 100% flat response, because no speaker is purely neutral). They are both great speakers, and have been thoughtfully designed for gigging musicians. There are differences in size, form factor, and weight to consider. These are significant factors for some people (myself included).

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• First I missed a bit of bass punch on the DXR10, but then I switched them to FOH/MAIN mode and now I'm perfectly happy even at pretty high volumes. Of course the DXR15 would have much more bass punch, but I guess it would be to much for most people. Also, the DXR15 would have been quite a bit heavier (14,6kg vs. 22.5kg) and bigger to transport. The Atomic CLR would also have had 21kg.

So I'm really happy and price wasn't an issue here.

Edit: Corrected the mode I switched to.

• Great News to hear. I was just curios because I will not necessarily have the opportunity to play the clr's. I have watched and read about every bit of information on these speakers and loved the way they sounded in the store (besides the small hiss which i think could be taken care of with suggestions like viabcroce gave) and was just curious if anyone chose them over the clr's. I personally chose to make the leap from tube amps to KPA for the convenience factor as well as a great sound so the small footprint of the dxr paired with the excellent sound quality seems like a great choice. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

• There is a line/mic switch on the back pannel, make sure that this switch is set to line next time you try the DXR10.

The DXR10 is not dead quiet but the very small hiss I can hear from it when I'm in my studio is absolutely nothing you should worry of for live use. The DXR10 is not a studio monitor like the CLR can be, but it sounds so good on stage with my KPA!

• So I got a Yamaha DXR10 yesterday, after reading tons of posts on here and elsewhere (axe fx users). Plugging right in, no messing around with EQ or anything, it sounds fantastic. I used one of the main outs (XLR) to the XLR input of the DXR10, had it set to "Line" like Pick909 mentions above, and had the D-Contour switch set to 'Off' like saw someone else mention on here. I could hear some elements of the sound of some profiles that I had not heard using just my studio monitors (KRK Rokit 5s). Maybe that was because it was turned up much louder. So, I'm very happy with this (I only bought one). BTW, I got a great deal on it - bought it used from Guitar Center for $399. So search on there and try to find one, as they'll take the order over the phone and ship it to you, and you can still return it locally if you want. Obviously this applies to those of us in the U.S. only.

Also, some people on here have tried the Fender Mustang III as a monitor (by plugging the KPA into the effects return - I bought a Mustang III (V1 - you have to use the Version 1 of this), also used from Guitar Center, and tried it a couple weeks ago. I did all the tweaks that people say to do, and had the cabinets turned off in the output and all…and I was underwhelmed. It had a screamy tone to it, kinda made my ears hurt. And I figured I didn't want to have to be tweaking the hell out of every profile to make it sound decent, so I went the faux-FRFR route and got the Yamaha DXR10 after reading so much about it and seeing it in the store.

• I want to also add: about the hiss some people mention. I definitely don't hear any hiss on mine. If I get my head right up next to it I hear a slight sound like any powered studio monitor, but definitely no hiss. Incidentally, when I was in Guitar Center walking around checking out their PA speakers (all the ones people talk about on here), I heard a noticeable hiss and I looked to see which speaker it was coming from. It was very obviously coming from an Electro-Voice speaker. The EV112LX or something, I can't remember, but it's one of the ones I've seen people write about on here, and many have mentioned the hiss, and you could hear it plain as day in a guitar store with all kinds of other noise going on. I def would not like to have that sitting in my music room making all that noise. I think it's the amplifier type - the EV is not a class D, and the Yamaha DXR line is class D. So is some of the other ones like the QSC and JBL PRX612. I don't know for sure if that's the reason (amp type), but possibly.

• Well I foolishly bought the 12" instead of 10", and was quite upset (damn my memory). It's very boomy on the bottom end, is it all right to have the HPF set on 100Hz 'cause that seems to have solved all my issues.

• Well I foolishly bought the 12" instead of 10", and was quite upset (damn my memory). It's very boomy on the bottom end, is it all right to have the HPF set on 100Hz 'cause that seems to have solved all my issues.

Why don't you return and swap for the 10"? It's also about the footprint and the weight of the 10”.

• Why don't you return and swap for the 10"? It's also about the footprint and the weight of the 10”.

^ This.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Yeah thanks folks, it might be the room (never thought about this room being the problem) as its wood floor. I'll see what it's like at volume tomorrow at practice. Size isn't a problem as its tiny compared to my old JBL eon g2s. Just wasn't sure where to set set the switches on the back, and wondered what concensus was, love the headroom though.