Using ONLY the power amp of the Kemper PowerRack

• Hi guys!

I will pull the trigger on a Kemper PowerRack next month and I already read a lot about it. There is only one question remaining... But first let me explain what I try to accomplish here.

I'll use the Kemper for "snapshots" of the guitar recording sessions in my studio. I need this for recreating the tone in later sessions or for filling bits and pieces after someone knocks over a microphone, the amp craps out, and so on. I also want to model my studios amps as faithful as possible.

For this I'll also get a Countryman DI-Box for profiles including the power amp of my heads (amp - DI - speaker). I thought it would be best to seperate as many components of the chain to get the best possible results. I already read, that it is possible to add a Kemper cab to my profiled "complete amp head".

There's only one thing that bugs me about that. A Kemper cab always includes the profiled amps power amp and is only estimated by the Kemper. So I thought I'll just use impulse responses of my cabs including room, mics, preamps and A/D conversion (CabMaker). Only downside: I don't have a neutral power amp like the one in the Kemper. Which brings me to my question: Is there a way to use only the power amp of the Kemper PowerRack to create impulse responses of my chain from cab to DAW via sine sweeps? I already own plugins that are capable of deconvolving the impulse response, I just need to know if I can give a clean sine sweep into the Kemper, which will be amplified by the power amp without any coloration.

Thanks for your help :)

• I believe you could just turn off the stack section(amp,eq,cab) as well as effects and get totally dry signal being projected to use it in the manner you are referring to.

Yeah that's what I wanted to hear! When it comes to such basic things, the manual doesn't help at all :D I could not determine if there would be no signal at all or a totally dry signal by switching everything off :)

• Hey Chris, welcome here :thumbup:

Slightly OT, I think it has to be underlined that the sound of a poweramp "alone" doesn't exist. It has to interface with a load, which will give it an important part of its sonic signature. Using a DI will not give you the "neutral" sound of a poweramp, but rather the sound of that amp with that load.
    The interaction between an amp and a load (a cone for example) is complex and varies with the frequency, so it can't be reduced to a single number because a cone is electrically complex (the load is never purely inductive).
    So, by attempting at this, you'd have the same "error" (from a quantitative POW that the KPA makes when telling "the cab" from "the amp".

HTH

• Hey Chris, welcome here :thumbup:

Slightly OT, I think it has to be underlined that the sound of a poweramp "alone" doesn't exist. It has to interface with a load, which will give it an important part of its sonic signature. Using a DI will not give you the "neutral" sound of a poweramp, but rather the sound of that amp with that load.
    The interaction between an amp and a load (a cone for example) is complex and varies with the frequency, so it can't be reduced to a single number because a cone is electrically complex (the load is never purely inductive).
    So, by attempting at this, you'd have the same "error" (from a quantitative POW that the KPA makes when telling "the cab" from "the amp".

HTH

Thank you for your contribution :)

If I'm profiling with a DI between cab and amp, then I should catch the interaction between amp and speaker in the magic box, shouldn't I? The load in form of a big fat 4x12 cab is still there ;)

• Oh, I thought you were talking about a dummy load.
    In the case you specified, the amp will see the cab and the DI as a whole, so the DI will give its contribution anyway.
    Basically, what you do is to take a mic out and a DI in the equation. You may like the result better or not when you swap cabs from the KPA :)

• Oh, I thought you were talking about a dummy load.
    In the case you specified, the amp will see the cab and the DI as a whole, so the DI will give its contribution anyway.
    Basically, what you do is to take a mic out and a DI in the equation. You may like the result better or not when you swap cabs from the KPA :)

Yeah we will see :) I'll buy the Countryman anyways... It's one of the best DIs out there :)

• I didn't understand well, what you're trying to do, but one thing I want to tell you about the Stack section, especially Amp & Cab part of it.
    There's no perfect separation of AMP part and CAB part in a profile. The Profiler tries to split the profiled data into these two parts. You always profile the whole chain and the Profiler internally tries to guess what of the captured data should be part of the amp and part of the cab section. It does pretty well, but not 100% accurate.

You can achieve great sounding results by changing the CAB part of a profile (or switch the CAB off and use an IR via CabMaker). But don't expect 100% accurate, realistic reproduction compared to the real amp/cab combination.

Hope this helps to adjust your expectations. :)

• I didn't understand well, what you're trying to do, but one thing I want to tell you about the Stack section, especially Amp & Cab part of it.
    There's no perfect separation of AMP part and CAB part in a profile. The Profiler tries to split the profiled data into these two parts. You always profile the whole chain and the Profiler internally tries to guess what of the captured data should be part of the amp and part of the cab section. It does pretty well, but not 100% accurate.

You can achieve great sounding results by changing the CAB part of a profile (or switch the CAB off and use an IR via CabMaker). But don't expect 100% accurate, realistic reproduction compared to the real amp/cab combination.

Hope this helps to adjust your expectations. :)

Thanks for your reply :) What I'm trying to do (and I know this has been done before) is NOT to profile the whole chain. I want to leave cab, mic, preamp and A/D converters out of the equasion as far as possible, to create the most realistic profiles of my amps :) I

• This is the point I was trying to make: there's nothing like "the most realistic sound" of a poweramp, because an amp always has to play against a load, and any load changes the amp's character and sound, even a DI. It's a relationship, not a solipsism :D

• I want to leave cab, mic, preamp and A/D converters out of the equasion as far as possible, to create the most realistic profiles of my amps :) I

The point I tried to make is:
    Even if you profile without cabs and mics, a profile on the Kemper will always consist of AMP and CAB information because it can't perfectly distinguish. After the profiling process of a DI signal of your amp, the CAB part of a profile will not be empty, so to say. So, if you make a profile without cab and mics ... and then switch off the CAB part, some of the amp's sound will be gone and can't be restored by just using some self-generated CAB IR.

• This is the point I was trying to make: there's nothing like "the most realistic sound" of a poweramp, because an amp always has to play against a load, and any load changes the amp's character and sound, even a DI. It's a relationship, not a solipsism :D

This. A poweramp is not complete unless it feeds a load.
    An amp with cab x sounds different than with cab y not only because the cabs sound different but the amp itself sounds different, too.

• Hi AHChris,

I think you might be over-analysing the situation. ;)

When you get your Profiler and start making your own profiles, I'd recommend doing the easy thing first, which is profiling the entire chain (amp, cab, mic) of your proven, working sounds.
    That is how all the producers I know work with the profiler. Build up your library of (real world/production reday) tones, and use them.

"I thought it would be best to seperate as many components of the chain to get the best possible results."
    I see no reason why this would produce superior results.

Besides, a profile is much more than a 'snapshot' as you put it, but you'll probably have to experience the Profiler first hand to fully appreciate what that really means :)

• And there is something to add.
    Many have stated here correctly, that a tube power amp can only be measured or profiled correctly by using an authentic load: a real cabinet.

But there is more to the famous story of the interactions between amp and cab, that has rarely been told. The tube power amp has a significant impedance itself. This is what interacts with the impedance of the cab.

If you measure a cab, the authenticity of the amp driving it is cruical, since the frequency responce is affected by that. A solid state amp will create different results.

Strange:
    Cabinet impulse responces from commercial suppliers are en vogue these days. Those IRs are sometimes taken by using solid state amps, sometimes by tube amps. But how authentic are these IRs? Can they be combined with certain tube power amp simulations to form a realistic result? Can I swap cabinets on a modelling amp without bending the reality? Where do the interactions go?
    I have read so much cork sniffing and pseudo expertise in forums about separating and recombining amp and cabs. But I have not seen a single person asking this question or pointing out this specific problem in years. Not even real experts like Jay Mitchell ever mention this topic. Am I wrong? :)

I have read so much cork sniffing and pseudo expertise in forums about separating and recombining amp and cabs. But I have not seen a single person asking this question or pointing out this specific problem in years. Not even real experts like Jay Mitchell ever mention this topic. Am I wrong?

No, you are certainly not wrong. But luckely there are some forums and people who have shared this knowledge on the net. And this is why some big Cats still play their modeling or profiling (pre)amps with Tube power amps and real cabinets. None "FRFR" will give you this. It is science, simple. But again it is up to everyone what to believe :)

My question is. Can the KPA do this interaction stuff including the change of impedance by frequency in a live set-up? :D

This is why the Koch ATR-4502 1U Rackmounted poweramp got my interest. Hope to test this baby soon :) The interaction between tube poweramps and speaker cabinets can only (for now) be created by real tube poweramps and real cabinets. So I prefer this above the other "Bonanza".

Edited 3 times, last by DADA: grammar ().

• When you make a DI profile and tap the tube power amps speaker output, while the target cabinet is the load, you can then recreate the same interactions using the internal power amp and the same cabinet.

• When you make a DI profile and tap the tube power amps speaker output, while the target cabinet is the load, you can then recreate the same interactions using the internal power amp and the same cabinet.

AH HAAA. Does this mean that a profile captured this way HAS this interaction between the profiled poweramp and the speaker cabinet??
    But still there is the factor of ANOTHER interaction between the LIVE used (tube) poweramp and guitar cabinet. Or the LIve used SS poweamp with "FRFR" speaker.
    Will there then be TWO interactions?

Sorry to bother but I just like to understand this so essential part of the whole chain in a LIVE setup