Crackling sound as notes die away

• That's the problem with the crackling issue. Sometimes it won't do it, and you think you've magically found the cure to stop it, then all of a sudden it comes back.

If you get a chance, try this: unplug your instrument cable from the input jack, put it on a profile that gives you crackling, turn off your noise gates and see what kind of noise it makes with nothing plugged in.

I really hope you can solve what's causing your issues, because then maybe I can fix mine!!

• No-dice
    As far as stopping the crackle. I found that setting pick to '0' works everytime to stop the crackling.

I'll try it when I get home from work. If that fixes my problem, then I will owe you big time!

• I got the crackles using that rig, setting pick to 0 takes the crackle out. But i do not get that crackle with other rigs. Maybe you should send the rig to support for analysis.

• I got the crackles using that rig, setting pick to 0 takes the crackle out. But i do not get that crackle with other rigs. Maybe you should send the rig to support for analysis.

I just switched to another rig at random. 'Carr Rambler' in this case, but I don't think it matters which rig. Turned pick up to 5 & low & behold crackling. So it doesn't seem rig specific.
    It's the pick control.
    Fingers crossed No-Dice that's your problem too

• Ok, so just contact support and let them know about your findings. Hopefully they can find the cause for the crackles then if its in the code of the pick parameter. And good look to no dice.

• i just wanted to point out that i think the default pick setting is always 0 when you create a profile. like many of the deep editing parameters on both the amp and cab blocks, things can get weird when you veer from the default. it likely depends on the profile.

it still may be worth submitting your findings to support as mentioned above though, if maybe they can fine tune it.

do you find the super low pick setting to be really appealing? have you tried to substitute it with the power sagging setting or a compressor?

• no_dice, i responded to your post. sorry it took so long. have you tried recording a DI directly to your interface, then SPDIF sending it into the KPA with the input source on the KPA set to SPDIF. This will tell us if the issue has something to do with the Kemper's guitar input. Then send me the DI's and I'll reamp them through my KPA and we can see if the KPA's make different sounds. And I can send you a DI and you can reamp it to test even more thoroughly. I suspect your issue is the profile's response to interference introduced into the signal before it is converted to digital, with a high gain level. The noise suppressor seems to actually makes it worse.

• no_dice, i responded to your post. sorry it took so long. have you tried recording a DI directly to your interface, then SPDIF sending it into the KPA with the input source on the KPA set to SPDIF. This will tell us if the issue has something to do with the Kemper's guitar input. Then send me the DI's and I'll reamp them through my KPA and we can see if the KPA's make different sounds. And I can send you a DI and you can reamp it to test even more thoroughly. I suspect your issue is the profile's response to interference introduced into the signal before it is converted to digital, with a high gain level. The noise suppressor seems to actually makes it worse.

I don't have SPDIF capability on my interface, I don't think. I use a Presonus Inspire 1394. Unless the SPDIF is in the back, I'll have to check when I get home. I can certainly record some dry guitars and send them to you though and see what you get when running them through the KPA. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. It means a lot.

Also, Pobinr:

My problem profiles all have the pick set to 0.0 so that does nothing for me. :(

• i just wanted to point out that i think the default pick setting is always 0 when you create a profile. like many of the deep editing parameters on both the amp and cab blocks, things can get weird when you veer from the default. it likely depends on the profile.

it still may be worth submitting your findings to support as mentioned above though, if maybe they can fine tune it.

do you find the super low pick setting to be really appealing? have you tried to substitute it with the power sagging setting or a compressor?

The pick effect is interesting at -5. I've decided it is worth using. Kind of makes the strings sound miraculously as if without being plucked. So hoping all the more that the issue will be resolved. Pick isn't the same as sag etc. There'd be no point in it if it was so it wouldn't be incorporated in the kmpr. Here again is the profile that does it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6n8…013-11-20%2000-11-10.kipr
    I changed the amp & still crackles with pick set to anything other than 0.
    Support are investigating.

• I love it! It's one of the parameters I use more often, I like that kind of "guitar-sound-without-attack" à la Metheny :thumbup:

And, for my taste the pick attack is too outstanding in most mid-to-high gain profiles (with a Dunlop Alligator .71, my favourite pick). :)

• I have tested your profile. It seems to be very sensitive to the Pick algorithm

I have modified the Pick algorithm (for the next firmware) so that artifacts that you hear are mostly surpressed.

Thanks
    CK