headphones and kemper

• I bought the Philips Fidelio M1 because of his quite flat frequency response graph :

[Blocked Image: http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/test/69/6923/Fidelio-M1-frequency-response.jpg]

It works very well with the kemper, but I find it a bit uncomfortable.
    AKG: They don't have detachable cables, and I don't find this very convenient when playing guitar
    Beyer DT770 : has a known problem: the low ends sometimes crackle in the right earpiece. I didn't believe it, bought one, got the problem and sent it back...

• thanks guys!!i'm intrigued by the bayerdynamic also because, owning an AKG, i would like to have a different approach in sound.. the akg is midrangy to me and lacks of bass so the dt 770 could be a good choice also for mixing.. i hear good things also about the sennheiser hd 600..anyone tried?

• HPs are a tricky device. I'd advise you to - more than for a cab - try HPs before buying them, or checking the possibility to fairly return them.
    Different HPs - depending on their impedance - will sound differently with different HP Outputs - again, depending on their impedance as well and their output tension. The main difference being between power amp's HP output (or dedicated HP preamps) and line-level devices such as recorder, players, modellers.

Another important thing to say about HPs is that what you usually find on the charts is the "open field response". But the response heavily changes (specially with respect to the bass freqs) once you wear them, depending on you head's and ears' shape and size. Generally speaking, the tighter the wearing (i.e., no air escaping between the cushion and the ear) the more the bass response will be full (you can try this with any HPs, just gently push the loudspeakers against your ears and the bass response will change dramatically).

IOW, apart from the personal sonic tastes, a couple of HPs which sounds good whith a certain device for a certain person (head) won't necessarily perform the same with a different device or person.

HTH

:)

• Beyer DT770 : has a known problem: the low ends sometimes crackle in the right earpiece. I didn't believe it, bought one, got the problem and sent it back...

Have been using Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for ages (the 80 Ohms version) ... and many of them in different places. Not even once did I have the issue you describe. For me, these are the best headphones, fullstop. And the price is more than sexy for what they deliver.

Cheers,
    Martin

• Have been using Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for ages (the 80 Ohms version) ... and many of them in different places. Not even once did I have the issue you describe. For me, these are the best headphones, fullstop. And the price is more than sexy for what they deliver.

Cheers,
    Martin

Oops sorry, just checked and it was for the Beyerdynamic Pro DT 990.

• I bought the Philips Fidelio M1 because of his quite flat frequency response graph :

[Blocked Image: http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/test/69/6923/Fidelio-M1-frequency-response.jpg]

It works very well with the kemper, but I find it a bit uncomfortable.
    AKG: They don't have detachable cables, and I don't find this very convenient when playing guitar
    Beyer DT770 : has a known problem: the low ends sometimes crackle in the right earpiece. I didn't believe it, bought one, got the problem and sent it back...

I would not consider this to be quite flat. A notch at 4 kHz with -8 dB.
    However, it can sound nice though.

• KRKs here, they have quite warm highs which I like very much. I'd not use them for any reference/mixing stuff tho.

Overall I hate headphones and almost never use them, but they work very well when I do.

• Have been using Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for ages (the 80 Ohms version) ... and many of them in different places. Not even once did I have the issue you describe. For me, these are the best headphones, fullstop. And the price is more than sexy for what they deliver.

Cheers,
    Martin

Thank you Martin for the hint. I bought exactly this one for christmas. It is the best headphone i have ever owned.
    I had another Beyerdynamic for 15 years, then used the sennheiser for mp3-players for years X( .
    Now what a difference! :love: Awesome! A new world opened. With the 3m cable i can watch my DVDs while my wife is sleeping.
    Great stuff!

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• You almost can't go wrong. I've got the 240, 280 and 770's and all sound great.

I will say this, had all for years and the 770's are not able to handle the full spectrum of music without breaking down. I also use all mine on Piano and the 770's have an annoying buzz due to some rattling component.

Maybe I got the lemon, but for twice the price of the other headphones, it doesn't deliver any better sound, and apparently isn't as robust either. They are light and comfortable on the ears, but the 80 Ohm pair I got also requires a higher output of volume that most systems can't deliver, but the Kemper can. So the 80 Ohm aren't as versatile.

Check your Ohm ratings and do not in getting headphones get a DJ set for listening on the Kemper.

• Hi,

I was in the exactly same situation, working @ home with 141 AKG. I' ve recently changed to AKG 271 MKii with good results. I suggest this headphones. remember to modify the OUT menú parameters in your KPA to increase your real room sensation .

I hope I helped you!

have a nice virtual-valve day!

JAM