When should I touch the distortion sense knob?

• This is a bit confusing. Now suppose I profile a high gain amp. When I'm done, the gain will be at mid position on the finished profile. Yet distorted sense will clearly work in such a situation. The difference I can make out is the clean and distorted profling process. But that brings me again to the question I made in the previous post, i.e. if I boost the gain on a clean profile, will clean sense have any impact?

• This is a bit confusing. Now suppose I profile a high gain amp. When I'm done, the gain will be at mid position on the finished profile. Yet distorted sense will clearly work in such a situation. The difference I can make out is the clean and distorted profling process. But that brings me again to the question I made in the previous post, i.e. if I boost the gain on a clean profile, will clean sense have any impact?

You can think of distortion and clean as two parallel paths in the Kemper.

Clean Sense: whether CS controls loudness depends on how much distortion there is (what you hear). It affects loudness from completely clean into some distortion (Gain 0-4 on my setup, with DS at 0). How it is profiled doesn't matter.

Distortion Sense: Controls the sensitivity of the "distortion path". It results in more/less distortion and applies to all rigs. Whether CS has an impact on loudness still only depends on what you hear (how much distortion). IOW, the transition between clean/dist on the Gain control will be shifted up/down as you adjust DS.

When you push the Input button you have Gain, CS and DS right beside each other, so you can play around with them simultaneously and quickly hear the results 8)

• Nice explanation, +1.

Why don't you try?

• Why don't you try?

Scared to mess with my settings, lol. I believe I have the optimal clean and distorted sense parameters now. I should though, clear up some of this Kemper fog in my mind.

EDIT: I'm also one of those evil Kemper users that believe clean sense affects distorted tones, Mr CK :thumbup: