1u power amps, whats everyone using?

• Tried a random cheapo one off ebay, now using a Behringer EPQ900 as recommended by a few on here. I'm probably going to have to live with it but its still not loud enough. I mean on full volume it is JUST loud enough, but theres zero headroom if i ever need any. Volume wise it gets completely destroyed by a tube head. Is my only real option to go with the massively expensive matrix stuff?

• How do you connect to your EPQ. I was using the exact same combination with Kemper Monitor Out via unbalanced TS to the EPQ into a 4x12 cab with 8 Ohms. I had the Monitor Out at about -12dB and the EPQ bridged with volume half way up. That was more than load enough and we are a fairly loud metal band.

What I recently discovered is that the level is significantly lower when you are using a balanced input via XLR.

• What cab do you play? Do you use the EPQ in bridged mode?
    I used the EPQ bridged (650W or something) with a 8 Ohm cab. It was loud as shit... I could barely turn the EPQ up to 1/3.

The impedence of your cab is important too. With a 16Ohm cab you only get like 130-150W (which should still be loud enough).

Did you use the balanced input with the kemper monitor out (which is not balanced and the level would drop to 0,5)?

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• What cab do you play? Do you use the EPQ in bridged mode?
    I used the EPQ bridged (650W or something) with a 8 Ohm cab. It was loud as shit... I could barely turn the EPQ up to 1/3.

The impedence of your cab is important too. With a 16Ohm cab you only get like 130-150W (which should still be loud enough).

Did you use the balanced input with the kemper monitor out (which is not balanced and the level would drop to 0,5)?

Some questions answered above, i'm using an unbalanced TS cable from the monitor out to the in of the EQP, will i get better results with a TRS?

• Is anybody using a Mesa fifty fifty? I've got a chance to get one at a great price and thought it might might be a nice alternative.

I've tried my KPA with a Mesa 2:90 and a VHT 2:50:2 into guitar cabs but I think that valve amps add a bit too much colouration. The sound is already coloured by using guitar cabs so I prefer the Matrix power amp which is more transparent. Just my opinion.

• Thanks guys. Ya'll confirm what I suspected. I've got a couple of Crown's laying around that I can use but might opt for a one rack space amp in my future.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• The EH 44 magnum is OK for small gigs with a 1x12. It will power a 4x12 but it will overheat after time. I use mine for practice or emergency only. It is loud enough for most bands.

• i use the velocity 300 crank the volume on the power amp and lower the monitor output and it sounds great

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/f05540.jpg]
    Pro Tools HDX HD i/o 8x8x8
    SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• Busy testing this 1u, 5,5kg, silent, flat, very powerfull, hybrid stereo power amp.
    http://www.koch-amps.com/atr-4502.html

Here some explanation from the designer himself why this amp sounds and behaves like a tube amp.

In Practice

Our ATR series of hybrid amps the Jupiter, Startrooper and ATR4502 (see also the blog article about these amps), are designed in such a way that they react the same way to speakers as tube amps. Although they operate with mosfets to drive the speaker, their ouput power does not fall back to 50% if the impedance is doubled. This is one of the reasons why our ATR series of hybrid guitar amplifiers sound like real tube amps.

Although their speaker outputs behave similar to tube amps you can safely disconnect the speaker and play them without a speaker or load connected. If you do that you will not damage anything.

Edited once, last by DADA: adding ().

• the only problem with the 44mag is that it starts to distort as the level is raised past half way

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/f05540.jpg]
    Pro Tools HDX HD i/o 8x8x8
    SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro