Audio interface

• Hallo.
    Currently I'm using a Tascam US122MK2 interface with Reaper to record the Kemper.
    Unfortunately, the Tascam has no S/PDIF, and reamping is not possible.
    I'm trying to find an interface with S/PDIF and at least 4 inputs.
    My computer has windows 8.
    I tried to use the search function of this forum, but I could not find much about interfaces and reamping...
    All advice is very welcome! :thumbup:

• I use the tascam us 1800 It's got spdiff and 8 xlr inputs but I would not recommend this i have had lots of problems with this and will be looking for somthing else soon I will never buy tascam again

• I use an Universal Audio Apollo Duo, and used both on SPDIF and analog. I really prefer the analog sound that I got, as it seems to have more headroom and depth than the SPDIF. Analog sound will be converted to digital on audio ins of your interface again. SPDIF is digital, and do not need conversion out of kemper or to get in the computer. But, I found analog much more "real".

If you can afford an Apogee (firewire, first version, used), which would be half the price of a Apogee Duet, it has really good conversion quality, and portable. Apollo is awesome too, and has a lot more interesting features, like its mixer (console), allowing really near zero latency. Besides, apollo has both SPDIF and analog ins, and Apogee`s don`t have.

The best option, in my opinion, would be a Universal Audio Twin, because it is a smaller version of Apollo, same features, thunderbolt connectivity, and reasonable price. All this applies if you use a mac computer. All those interfaces do not run on PC, but some work with even iPad, iPhone, iOS in general.

Hope this helps.

• I just got my Quad Capture yesterday ... I'm still looking for how to get the best cabling scheme for recording both KPA output and DI (for future re-amp). I opened a thread about that. Otherwise, the quad capture seems to be a very good piece of hardware. I'll be able to get a better opinion in a few days.

• I just got my Quad Capture yesterday ... I'm still looking for how to get the best cabling scheme for recording both KPA output and DI (for future re-amp). I opened a thread about that. Otherwise, the quad capture seems to be a very good piece of hardware. I'll be able to get a better opinion in a few days.

I think that it will be very interesting for me to follow your tread! ;) (is it there yet? I can not find it on your username...)

@gui7arhero Indeed, the quad has 4 inputs. :thumbup:
    I'm afraid that, as a guitarist, I'm a bit to noob to find out what all reamping-recording-S/pdif and kemper setup stuff is about... ?(
    Or am I getting old... ;(

• I use the same interface. And I thought about upgrading to the next version the Tascam 144 which has the S/PDIF connections. Since you already know your interface quite well this might be a good option for you?

• I use the same interface. And I thought about upgrading to the next version the Tascam 144 which has the S/PDIF connections. Since you already know your interface quite well this might be a good option for you?

Well, I think that, if you want to record one stereo profile and 1 clean (for reamping) at the time you need at least 3 inputs, wich the Tascam has not... ;(

Thanks for the link Lokasenna!

• I think a focusrite scarlet 18i20 would be perfect for you. I use it, and it makes reamping, profiling, and various other things crazy easy. I run my instruments into the front input (allows me to record a clean DI) then in my daw I send the output from the track that is recording off input one into my spdif output, then on a second track I record the input of the spdif track. Easy as pie. Then when you desire to reamp, you just rerun the clean signal that you recorded. This would allow you to monitor the effected signal even when recording the first track.

• Well, I think that, if you want to record one stereo profile and 1 clean (for reamping) at the time you need at least 3 inputs, wich the Tascam has not... ;(

My quad capture has only 2 analog inputs and 2 digitals. So, what is do is
    - recoding the DI mono and output mono (without rev and delay) out of the SPDIF output (mono signal is easier for me for double or quad tracks)
    - recording the main stereo output (through the 2 analog inputs) ... just to get a quick preview

If i really need a good quality stereo output, I re-amp throug SPDIF

• Well, I think that, if you want to record one stereo profile and 1 clean (for reamping) at the time you need at least 3 inputs, wich the Tascam has not... ;(

If I get you right you want to record the profiled signal and a DI one. If that's the case ANY interface with an spdif connection (in and out) will do the job. Also the tascam one. Hope that helped you. If you really just need the spdif connection don't spend more money on an interface than necessary. :)