For The Recording Guys-KPA & Tracking w/Plug Ins

• I'm considering a new interface for my recording set up.I have a Digi/Avid 003 and just run my KPA mains into it.
    I've been looking at the UAD Apollo Duo and salivating over the tracking with plugins facilities it offers.
    This has me thinking about my KPA and whether or not it would benefit from the same tracking method.I've had the UAD Powered Plug Ins years ago and they seemed to help anything I put through them but that was all pre KPA.

Anyone tracking with plug ins or having your KPA go through anything before it prints?

Most likely a stupid question but its been playing on my mind lately...Thanks!

• Hi studio66 I mainly have my KPA running through waves SSL channel along with some tape saturation Kramer tape for me. The KPA sounds great on its own but sometimes I like to sweeten it just that little bit with these plugs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!!

The KPA is such a great "delivery device" that I suspected the need would be low but its also so amp like and raw that it could be beneficial.
    My KPA is loaded with great examples of historically significant amps that I started thinking they would work great with a little secret sauce from some historically significant hardware emulations.

Thanks again!!

• Anyone tracking with plug ins or having your KPA go through anything before it prints?

Most likely a stupid question but its been playing on my mind lately...Thanks!

I use plugins a lot but I treat the KPA just like I have been doing a real amp for all the years. I would record pretty much dry and use EQ, compression, reverb, delay later on during the mixing process if I need to.

I would refrain from using EQ for tracking because you only know which frequencies you want to cut or boost much later down the line. It depends on how you mix your rhythm section and other stuff you have going on in your song. You also wouldn't want to much compression for distorted sounds as they are compressed anyway and you have not much dynamics to tame (clean sounds are completely different in that regard). It can be great to add a bit of compression with something like a 1176 or a LA3A even with highly distorted tracks just for the sake of the tone but as with EQ I would do that at a later stage during mixdown when you know what you want.

Of course there are always exceptions from the rules but unless you know exactely what you want from a guitar track I wouldn't print the takes with EQ and comp. Otherwise you might find yourself trying to undo later what you did at record stage.

• I use plugins a lot but I treat the KPA just like I have been doing a real amp for all the years. I would record pretty much dry and use EQ, compression, reverb, delay later on during the mixing process if I need to.

I would refrain from using EQ for tracking because you only know which frequencies you want to cut or boost much later down the line. It depends on how you mix your rhythm section and other stuff you have going on in your song. You also wouldn't want to much compression for distorted sounds as they are compressed anyway and you have not much dynamics to tame (clean sounds are completely different in that regard). It can be great to add a bit of compression with something like a 1176 or a LA3A even with highly distorted tracks just for the sake of the tone but as with EQ I would do that at a later stage during mixdown when you know what you want.

Of course there are always exceptions from the rules but unless you know exactely what you want from a guitar track I wouldn't print the takes with EQ and comp. Otherwise you might find yourself trying to undo later what you did at record stage.

All great points...I've always more or less viewed it the same way :)
    Nice thing with the Apollo is it offers all those great plugins at mix also...just started thinking about tracking and thought maybe I was missing something.
    Thanks!!

• I have an Apollo quad. I much prefer the neutral sound from the Kemper without any UAD2 plugins. Part of that is that for me any EQ or other effects I'd rather add after tracking as the way I work that's part of the mixing process, the other part is that the the UAD2 plugins themselves are nothing to write home about, just more bog standard digital FX, they'd only subtract from the sound quality.

• I don't know what your financial situation is like. If a new interface is a no brainer to you, well then go for it but other than that I wouldn't go for a new interface because of the ability to track with plug ins. the uad plug ins are certainly good but if you get the sound right in the first place - choosing the right rig, setting the tone stack right, then you don't need some high end eq plug ins or whatever for tracking. You might wanna spend the money for monitors for example or simply invest in the weakest link of your recording chain

• Very rarely track with eq/compressors (hardware or software) unless the player isn't very good.

Kemper naked is the way to go, but those UAD interfaces are great for working the result into a mix.

^this is good advice.

I always go nakid as possible because its the fundamental tone I seek. - I always find a tone thats 90% what im after at tracking, the rest of the 10% is sculpting this to shape the mix and blend in well.
    if you start to use plugs at tracking, then you end up with a over processed tone at the end result....

However.. if you insist on tracking with plugs/hardware the you can track a guide guitar first. get the track mixed. then go ahead and track the final guitars using whatever methods work for you.

having said that.. I always track through hardware units on my patch bay.

Kemper>Vertigo VSC>Massive Passive>Patchbay>Neve Genysis>Converters>DAW.. although I disabled the units. im just running via them as its the way I have mine setup.

Then at mix time, I simply adjust the controls on the units, then re-print the track.