Kemper Profiler purchased, installed & rocking!

• I'm with you, OP. Not that I'm selling my KPA, but the lack of USB audio is irritating. I'd prefer not to go through extra D/A and A/D conversions, but when I tried SPDIF with my Firestudio Mobile I got all kinds of static/crackling noise. And even if that's solvable, with zero space for a home studio, each time I want to record something I have to dig the interface out of a bin, hook everything up, then disconnect everything and put everything away. No thanks. For now I've settled with just using a Y cable to run the KPA's main outs to the 3.5mm audio in of my Macbook Pro. Sometimes for non-pro users convenience outweighs quality.

• I'm with you, OP. Not that I'm selling my KPA, but the lack of USB audio is irritating. I'd prefer not to go through extra D/A and A/D conversions

the 'extra' conversions are not an issue soundwise at all. I switch between analog and SPDIF all the time.

but when I tried SPDIF with my Firestudio Mobile I got all kinds of static/crackling noise.

I quickly checked and it seems there are quite a few Firestudio Mobile users experiencing issues with the SPDIF on their units - regardless of the gear sending the signal
    TBH I never saw a Combined MIDI/SPDIF d-sub type output for what I imagine must be a breakout cable before

Sometimes for non-pro users convenience outweighs quality.

this coming from somebody who went to the trouble of designing, building and selling unique and beautiful high-endish guitars surprised me ;)

• Thanks everyone. I am still trying to work this so I can replace my order. There is lots of good generalized suggestions on how this could work. How about some specific recommendations on equipment models that will allow me to feed the digital signal from the Kemper to the Mac Mini. Analog is not an option here so we can let that thought slide. If you have a Kemper working solidly with a Mac Mini running Logic Pro X I want to hear from you :D

Latency, glitching and SPDIF word clock issues seem to be possible gotchas with this signal flow setup with the Mac Mini.

Does anyone use these possible solutions successfully with a Mac Mini & Logic Pro X?

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6

http://www.sweetwater.com/stor…J-I5JuCvb0CFc1cfgodzbQAxQ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ…psc=1&smid=A249O53PC30JPE

(Ive been a video editor for 35 years. Heres some of my work. http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com/…s_and_Cuts/Edit_Reel.html )

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• dunno... quick shots with the analog interface of the KPA is just fine... for non critical.. (i use it's tracks for quick rough mixes after a session) the S/PDIF interface for the most part works fine and very useful for reamping.. but it really sucks that it has to be the master instead of slave... THAT's a real pain in the buttocks... would love to have USB but for sure it's a pie in the sky kinda thing...

Gettin' funky up in here..

• The lack of USB audio is also annoying to me. The ease of plugging a USB cable into my iMac to record pickup swaps (the only recording I do) is sorely missed with the Kemper (so I use another brand modeler).
    A lot of people have been doing simple USB recording for years, and basically everything else does this, so this seems like quite an mis-step on the Kemper.

I don't own a studio...didn't realize that was prerequisite for owning a Kemper.

Buy an interface when this feature is available even on a $99 Digitech?

Okay, so I do have an audio interface...I just don't want to dig it out of the closet...

Please change this feature for musicians like me!

• If you want quality all the way then do not look for one magic box, so many people with different wants you are bound to compromise with a all in one solution. The KPA PROVIDES realistic amp tones better then any other, every thing else is a bonus.

This.
    Also I haven't seen an SPDIF syncing 'problem' that wasn't solvable (mostly user error anyway).
    Cancelling an order for the profiler only due to its lack of USB audio is not wise.
    The OP should hear the Kemper in person, first.

• I'm using the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 with Logic X on a MacBookPro. Works flawlessy.

• Hell-G, thanks for that info!.

I just read your post after ordering the Kemper Rack & Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 from Sweetwater. Talk about good timing!

It arrives around 11AM Vegas time, tomorrow. Im psyched!

• dunno... quick shots with the analog interface of the KPA is just fine... for non critical.. (i use it's tracks for quick rough mixes after a session) the S/PDIF interface for the most part works fine and very useful for reamping.. but it really sucks that it has to be the master instead of slave... THAT's a real pain in the buttocks... would love to have USB but for sure it's a pie in the sky kinda thing...

You see this whole digital connection pretty light and easy. But it's not. The Profiler being a Spdif slave would require that it had to support various sample rates. Doing that is extremely complex, this would mean variable processor loads and and various methods to prevent the sound from being changed by a different sample rate. Please be aware that the majority of complex instruments such as digital amps and keyboards only offer a fixed sample rate!
    I wonder why manufacurers of audio interfaces don't face this fact and offer sample rate converters for their Spdif connections.

Having USB audio would not improve this situation at all. Have a look at the low number of 'complex' devices that offer a selectable sampling rate. Same story as with Spdif.
    In addition a USB audio connection does not allow a second audio interface being hooked to the same system. You will have to use the Profiler as the sole audio interface and be losing flexibility.

• In addition a USB audio connection does not allow a second audio interface being hooked to the same system. You will have to use the Profiler as the sole audio interface and be losing flexibility.

In the Apple/Mac world it's called aggregating interfaces, i.e. combining multiple audio interfaces.. I can combine my Yamaha with my Apogee or my Guitar Rig 5 Kontrol 3 interfaces and select which inputs and output I'd like to use via my software application, like Cubase, Logic or what you. It works just fine! (what... a Windows PC can't do this?)

Also, why's the problem with just having 44.1 khz for the S/PDIF? That's all you do now... I don't understand why you want to make it more complex than what you're currently supporting? I'd just like it to be a slave. Then I don't have to constantly reset all of my equipment every time I turn of the profiler... it's a pain.. I don't need the profiler on 24x7 but I do need to perform other activities than recording guitar and reamping; the Kemper just gets in the way.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• I have a newer Mac mini with 2 SSDs running in it. I am using Logic Pro X as well. I don't see the need for the SPDIF because I am not re-amping things. I have a very nice interface in the Apollo twin duo and at the end of the day, you really can't tell the difference in the mix. The converters are fantastic on my interface.

:)

• Mac Mini user with RME Babyface using a similar toslink/SPDIF converter to the one that you linked - works flawlessly.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.