Kemper Profiler purchased, installed & rocking!

• I use Logic Pro X on a Mac Mini in my home studio. Using this system with Pod HD 500 and Axe FX is simple. Both have a USB out that plugs right into the Mac Mini. But unfortunately Kemper doesnt have a USB port. It has electrical SPDIF O/P. In my Google research folks have needed to invest in converters that have not solved and have created other problems(sync issues, etc). After spending $2000+ Im not interested in investing in more gear that may or may not work. I find the lack of USB port very annoying. If anyone has a tried and true solution to this dilemma, I love to hear it.

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• Research indicates that is just for loading in profiles, not for exporting digital audio info to other devices. I would love to be wrong about that.

Not for audio it doesn't.

The Profiler's USB is only for the Rig Manager, and Christoph has said we're probably never getting the ability to use it as an interface because most people buying a Kemper already have one.

As for the OP, I can't find anything to solve that for you short of buying a proper interface with analog ins/outs and MIDI that you might not need. If you're okay with that, I can recommend the Roland Quad Capture as a solid choice for not too much money. I know Behringer used to have a couple of cheaper options for SPDIF-USB, but I have no idea if they were any good.

• Thanks! Have you used the Roland as the converter between the Kemper and a Mac Mini? If so thats great news.

SPDIF users seem to have lots of syncing issues that USB users of AX and HD500 dont. I need a tried and true solution before I will purchase the Kemper. I appreciate your input.

• Setteling for less sound quality because of the lack of built in interface? Even if you bought the axe-fx, it still would be more expensive than the roland and the kemper, which works superb.

Althought another proof that the only culpits left are built in interface and dedicated foot controller.

• I'm thinking the same thing. ?(

Every time I go into a Pro studio it's analog outs, boom, let's record.

+1

I use my Eleven Rack as an interface to record, and despite trying the spdif - I found this a little tempremental on the Eleven, and seemed to be a little too 'hot'. So, I went to analogue and never looked back. I know I'm not setup for re-amping now, but I'm spending more time recording via analogue. And, even listening that bit more as can't just record and fix later all the time.

Hope you find a solution that work with you, the 'feel' of the Kemper from the POD is really quite a leap. I always found myself deep editing the POD tones, now it's often a few tweaks and back to playing.

• I use Logic Pro X on a Mac Mini in my home studio. Using this system with Pod HD 500 and Axe FX is simple. Both have a USB out that plugs right into the Mac Mini. But unfortunately Kemper doesnt have a USB port. It has electrical SPDIF O/P. In my Google research folks have needed to invest in converters that have not solved and have created other problems(sync issues, etc). After spending $2000+ Im not interested in investing in more gear that may or may not work. I find the lack of USB port very annoying. If anyone has a tried and true solution to this dilemma, I love to hear it.

USB is an inferior way to transfer audio. Either go analog if you have good converters, or go SPDIF.

• USB is an inferior way to transfer audio. Either go analog if you have good converters, or go SPDIF.

It isn't.

Using USB it streams a digital audio signal (like SPDIF e.g.) to the computer. So you have: Guitar Input -> A/D conversion -> KPA algorithms -> USB (digital audio stream) -> DAW
    Using analog outs it is: Guitar Input -> A/D conversion -> KPA algorithms -> D/A conversion -> analog outs -> Interface -> A/D conversion -> digital audio data -> DAW

Still I don't get why one want to cancel the order because of missing USB support. A cheap SPDIF interface is about 30€. And SPDIF either works... or it doesn't work ... so a 30€ interface won't sound any worse than a 3000€ one.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• One of the corner stones in a home or pro studio is a good sound card and it's capable of so much more than a USB only device.
    I've listened to A-B clips of analog vs digital connections and I can't tell the difference.
    I'm sure I've read that when Andy Sneap records major albums he's using analog connections with the kemper without any problems.
    Not sure why he doesn't connect the kemper via SPDIF, but that doesn't matter when it comes to sound quality.

• It has electrical SPDIF O/P. In my Google research folks have needed to invest in converters that have not solved and have created other problems(sync issues, etc). After spending $2000+ Im not interested in investing in more gear that may or may not work. I find the lack of USB port very annoying. If anyone has a tried and true solution to this dilemma, I love to hear it.

If you get a simple interface with coax s/pdif there are no sync problems. A somewhat recent interface will also have a dedicated low latency mixer that will make life both better and easier than trying to get different interfaces to play together.

SPDIF users seem to have lots of syncing issues that USB users of AX and HD500 dont. I need a tried and true solution before I will purchase the Kemper. I appreciate your input.

How do you monitor your music + modeler when recording/mixing? Connect monitors to the modeler? E.g. the Axe can ONLY play back 48kHz, which makes it quite unsuitable as a general audio interface.

Anyone doing music should invest in a decent audio interface. How about something like the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6? Can even connect directly to an iPad. Or the Native Instruments KOMPLETE AUDIO 6?

Edited once, last by Trazan ().

• If you want quality all the way then do not look for one magic box, so many people with different wants you are bound to compromise with a all in one solution. The KPA PROVIDES realistic amp tones better then any other, every thing else is a bonus.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.