Searching for active wedge for guitar and bass playing

• Hello !

I am on the way to order a Atomic Clr wedge (for guitar via KPA but also bass and acoustic guitare) but i'm wondering if it is works well with a bass guitar (for finger playing and slap)....?
    Anybody have already test it ?

Can you give your advice on another cab please ?

Thank you !

• I got the Atomic CLR powered wedge! It's a high end FRFR speaker...and yes, it should work just fine for any other audio reproduction...it's not a guitar cab; it's a high end monitor speaker

Good luck and enjoy the CLR! They are awesome!

G

• +1

No other 1x12 will make your bass sound better. The CLR goes down in freq. as much as dimensions and specs allow.
    You might want to add a sub later if you really want to make earth shake, but it's more than enough for normal use. And it will render all freqs wanderfully.

Let us know!

:)

• Depends on your use.

With a passive bass plugged directly into the CLR, with everything turned up full, you can't even begin to keep up with a med to loud drummer.

A DXR10 does. Even better would be a DXR15.

If you plug into the Kemper first and use it as a boost, you can definitely get the CLR much louder, but it seems a little iffy since the CLR can't get there on it's own.

For studio or around the house use, it works fine.

To play any of my weekly bass gigs, it won't cut it on it's own.

I am going to Profile a couple of my bass heads and cabinets this week and hopefully the results will be worthy to post in the exchange.

If
    you plug into the Kemper first and use it as a boost, you can
    definitely get the CLR much louder, but it seems a little iffy since the
    CLR can't get there on it's own.

...Not sure I'm following you here dude :)

Like a guitar, a passive bass doesn't provide a line-level signal: of course it requires a preamp. An active cab is not designed to manae this kind of inputs. No surprise the SPL is low.

When properly fed and set, the CLR outputs 120dB continuous / 130dB peak. For this to happen you
    have to put the level knob all way out and supply a robust input signal.
    This is all what a power amp is supposed to do.

The fact that the yamaha can pull a passive bass up by itself is not a quality parameter: it should be checked at which cost this happens, in terms of linearity and harmonic distortion.

IOW, I'd not use this as a point for choosing a good active cab

:)

• Agreed.

Mostly.

OP is looking for an active wedge to play bass through.

My point that I could play a bass gig with Dxr15 and not a CLR without a preamp I stand by...

I certainly don't feel comfortable taking my Kemper to my sunset outdoor pool gigs. Especially if the weather is iffy. Looks like rain? I can put the Kemper in the car and keep playing fingers crossed.

Or if God forbid there's a problem with the Kemper, I could easily finish the gig without it.

Of course none of applies if your looking for a studio monitor for bass etc...but if you want to gig with it...just a consideration in your list of plus and minuses.

• Thank you for advices !

I would like to play the bass (and guitars) on stage with the KPA plugged to the CLR with an amp/cab simulation...
    Are speakers of the CLR (with a CAB preset from the KPA) can sound as loud as a markbass or Ampeg for example ?

• Talking about the loudness of the CLR I have a slight deja vu ... ;)
    Do we have to go there again?

Of course a Yamaha DXR has an advantage when connecting directly BECAUSE IT HAS A MIXER built in and is capable to take and amplify even mic signals.
    This is not the case with the CLR (and certainly defeats its purpose to amplify a Line level signal).

Point is that the OP wants to play bass over his profiler and asks if a CLR is an appropriate amplification solution for this purpose.
    The answer is YES.

Talking about the loudness of the CLR I have a slight deja vu ... ;)

Do we have to go there again?

Rings a bell, yeah... :D

This is not the case with the CLR (and certainly defeats its purpose to amplify a Line level signal).

Did you mean "lower-than-line-level"? Or I am getting this wrong? An active cab is meant for line level signals.

ur2funky: I'm apparently missing the point as why a bass player should have a harder life than a guitar player, or be more careful about their equipment. I've never heard of a guitar player wanting to gig with just a poweramp and a cab... If generations of guitarists (and their preamps) survived it, I'm sure bassists will do as well :D

• ur2funky: I'm apparently missing the point as why a bass player should have a harder life than a guitar player, or be more careful about their equipment. I've never heard of a guitar player wanting to gig with just a poweramp and a cab... If generations of guitarists (and their preamps) survived it, I'm sure bassists will do as well :D

Yeah, 4-stringers are a different breed. A lot of classic hits were made plugging the bass straight in, and a lot of players I know gig that way still (pedal-free) as do I. So you could say Bassists have it easier in some ways...

Personally I don't use the Kemper for bass gigs.

I don't remember making any point as why a bass player should have a harder life than a guitar player, or be more careful about their equipment.
    Point was you better have a back-up preamp for bass gigs with the CLR, no need with the DXR...

And my apologies that I mentioned in a different post about the CLR volume.

People get soo touchy about OPINIONS with the CLR. How about a little full disclosure here...did everyone posting on here pay full retail for their CLR(s) like I did, or did anyone possibly pay a little less after their review period with CLR?

• I don't remember making any point as why a bass player should have a harder life than a guitar player, or be more careful about their equipment.
    Point was you better have a back-up preamp for bass gigs with the CLR, no need with the DXR...

Uh, sorry, you wrote "I certainly don't feel comfortable taking my Kemper to my sunset outdoor
    pool gigs. Especially if the weather is iffy" in a thread where the OP was asking about playing bass with the Profiler, I though it was bass-related :D
    Not a big issue actually ^^

People get soo touchy about OPINIONS with the CLR. How about a little full disclosure here...did everyone posting on here pay full retail for their CLR(s) like I did, or did anyone possibly pay a little less after their review period with CLR?

Can't answer for others, but I don't even own the CLRs (yet), and I've always written exactly what I think about them, since day 1. Things are going to change soon tho :D (but I never changed my technical opinion on the product. I might once I own one, ad apparently only for the worse LOL).

In general, when discussing subject I like to put things straight as I see them. I may be wrong of course, but when I realize it I always correct myself, or apologize.
    Your post could give others the impression that the yamaha are a superior product in respect to the CLR, which I - technically speaking, and regardless individual preferences and musical tastes - find to be an incorrect statement when it comes to sound quality alone.
    I didn't even know the yamaha had a preamp... different products, definitely. That's all :)

Another thing, very important for me and for explaining my general approach to technical forums like this one: I never discuss opinions, which are strictly personal. I try to stick to facts. You won't find a single post from me here or elsewhere where I disputed about someone's taste or preference. But some statements just require being circumscribed at times.

See for example the guy who went to a store, tried a Profiler with a guitar, a cable and some HPs they gave him there, played for some 20' w/o even knowing what he was doing or pressing/turning, and opened a thread to state the Profiler is not for him. Opinions, sure, but I'd feel like writing something back to that guy... if I only dared signing in on TGP LOL.
    Note: I'd think the same if the guy had tried an Axe-Fx, if I only cared as much. BTW, bd9091 wrote a beautiful post on that thread :thumbup:

Peace ad axes :)

• I'm sorry, I certainly didn't want to argue. Fact, opinion...whatever. A group of friends and I have done extensive listening tests between my CLR, DXR, & QSC. That's how I've formed my opinions. Plus 17 years now full-time musician, at least two nights a week are bass gigs. I'm just trying to help here.

I've seen no facts regarding any of this stuff. Just some reviews written by people's opinions.

I've spent half the day profiling my gigging bass rigs and comparing the profiles thru these different monitors today. This stuff is fresh in my ears.

Peace and regards