Variax & Kemper

• I gotta say, the Variax and the Kemper are a match made in heaven. Amazing versatility and sonic possibilities. 25 guitars in one. 1000s of amp/cabs in the other. Its truly mind boggling. And Im really beginning to appreciate how the HD 500 has a role in this setup . It can power the Variax while talking to the Kemper.

• You're playing old Variax series (300,500,600,900...) or the last series (JTV) ?

There was no 900. The flagship of the older series was the 700. SCNR. :)

Looking back ( I owned the 500, which was the first one, the 700, the 600, the JTV-69 (plus the Variax Acoustic) I liked the 500 and 600 best.
    Had a real nice fat neck.
    I couldn't bond with the JTV-69 although it's a much better built Instrument than the older series.

• Yeah, pretty nice guitar. I own a JTV-59P with P90 pups. Works nicely with the Profiler. I do prefer my original Gibson Les Paul and my Fender American Standard Strat over the corresponding Line6 models though. But good value for the money nevertheless. :)

• There was no 900. The flagship of the older series was the 700. SCNR. :)

Looking back ( I owned the 500, which was the first one, the 700, the 600, the JTV-69 (plus the Variax Acoustic) I liked the 500 and 600 best.
    Had a real nice fat neck.
    I couldn't bond with the JTV-69 although it's a much better built Instrument than the older series.

Woops keyboard fail, I meant 700. :)

Thats exactly why I asked about his model, I got the 600 and wondering if Jtv models are better, cause I also got some originals models (strat,tele,LP) and I'm not a big fan of their modelings on my 600.

• My Variax made me buy a lot of guitars while my Kemper made me sell all my amps.

Why? Because the Variax models were good enough to give me the desire for the real deal in many guitars for which, otherwise, I would never discovered any interest. But the Kemper is so real that I didn't feel the need to keep any amps.

Still, I kept my transplanted Variax 600 and I agree that it is great fun with the Kemper and especially usefull in cover band!

• The alternate tunings are lots of fun and extremely handy on stage, but can't be used for critical sound applications like recording. The sound/tone suffers a bit in alternate tunings. Fine for heavy sounds but starts to show on the acoustic sounds.

The Kemper will do a better fake bass guitar than the JTVs will.

• Brand new J-59 (Les Paul). Great action. No button issues. My other guitar is a 2000 Jackson Soloist SL1 USA.

You've been lucky then. I had 3 JTV-59s over a period of about a year, all faulty, before giving up on it. It took the distributor 3-4 months to come up with a fix or replacement every time there was a problem so it wasn't that may weeks I had the guitar during that year. I won't deny that it sounds good, both as a regular electric with the magnetic pickups and with the variax-modelled sounds, and that playability is great, but I also need reliability. Hopefully L6 will get some help sorting out their QA now that they'be been acquired by Yamaha.

• I made a point to call L6 tech support and have a long conversation with them. Upon closing I asked which serial numbers would be the wisest to buy to avoid those older issues. I followed their suggestion and havent had a lick of trouble.