Has anyone tested EZ Drummer 2 yet?

• Just got to the Song Creator part. I have to go change now before I buy it.

Q: Can you play SD2 packs in EZ Drummer?

Not the sounds, but you can use the midi from SD packs if I got that right.
    For the sounds of SD you have to export the whole performance created in EZD2.

• Ingolf, also, what is it about Jamstix you like other drum Vi's don't have?

Jamstix at the moment is the only VSTi that builds/composes its performances on the fly, according to what you want it to to, based on probability.
    And it does it completely without the use of any loops.
    It is a bit like the poweramp feature described in one of those EZD2 vids, but much more elaborated and for ALL drum instruments.

AND it is the only drum VSTi that is able to inspire me. I specify a core groove and let it compose and recompose and it is able to come up with awesome inspiring performances.

• Jamstix at the moment is the only VSTi that builds/composes its performances on the fly, according to what you want it to to, based on probability.
    And it does it completely without the use of any loops.
    It is a bit like the poweramp feature described in one of those EZD2 vids, but much more elaborated and for ALL drum instruments.

AND it is the only drum VSTi that is able to inspire me. I specify a core groove and let it compose and recompose and it is able to come up with awesome inspiring performances.

Well, MIDI will have to do. I can work with MIDI in EZ Drummer and then reimport that into SD for the sounds I suppose.

Q: Can EZDrummer export the WHOLE MIDI song once it's composed? I assume that's a give, but I have to ask.

I'll have to demo Jamstix. It's only for PC, but truly I'd only use my PC for jamming at home anyway. So that's an OK limitation.

• Thanks guys. Cool info to have.

I just played with the Tap feature. Tap in the 2/4 polka beat and found some interesting beats in my MIDI library I'd have NEVER found without looking for literally hours. Wow. Worth every penny right there, seriously.

I'm currently doing the "Show Web Shop Midi" and it's searching. That I suppose takes some time. Just stopped, about 2 minutes, not bad at all.

Hmmm, apparently this is more "Library of the Extreme - Death and Thrash" than Polka, who knew, ha ha.

This feature is killer. Wow. Finally, drumming is TOTALLY FUN!! Before I'd do Drums on Demand with Acid Loops and that was the first time I had fun doing drumming. (well, I suppose the first time was a Dr. Rhythm from the late 80's but that was more "novel" than "fun". still have it actually.)

Thank you, My Fellow Kemper Brothers!

• Well there is one thing that might keep it from being "perfect".

So far I only see where it check purchased Toontrack packs and also searches potential Toontrack packs, but is there a way to Tap search your 3rd party MIDI library?

Doesn't look like it so far. That's a bummer. That would be the bee's knee's! The cat's meow! The be-all-end-all.

• I dont really like all these drum sims so much, but when I do use them I use Addictive drums, (and I only use the kick and snares when I do as overlays to compliment)

But they are releasing a new Addictive drums 2 on may 13th that's suppost to be all the rage.. so thought I'd throw that into the convo too : )

• I've only had 1/2 an hour with it and now have to go and do grown-up stuff :whistling:

First impressions are that it's great - give it a midi loop and it really does do what it says on the tin. The brilliant thing for me (so far) is the ease with which you can build variety into this thing by just saying 'ok, on the 2nd verse I'll use exactly the same as the first verse but now I'll make the snare just a LITTLE bit more busy. And it does it for you. And then you can just drag the midi out and use it with whatever drum program you like which accepts EZ Drummer mapping (tried it with one of the NI Abbey Road VSTi's and it works). I'll need to audition the EZ Drummer kits vs the various Abbey Road I have but that will take me a while before I can make an informed opinion. But, just listening to EZ Drummer 2 on its own I have to say it sounds great.

Issues so far:-

1. I was using the tap feature using the mouse. And it lags really badly. I know the simple solution is to hook up the keyboard or similar but I'm a guitar player and those key things scare me ;)

2. I will 'RTM' later but I am struggling a little with the tap feature in Reaper. Basically, I opened a song I'd been working on which has a tempo of 131. EZ Drummer is set to 'follow the host' and it does indeed pull across the 131 tempo from Reaper and, if I put loops into the EZ Drummer song creator it works perfectly. But what I want to do is hit 'play' in Reaper OR the 'Tap' button in EZ Drummer and then tap out my beat along to the guitar I've recorded / the metronome in Reaper. And they don't line up. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

• For those still using Superior 2 and don't want to wait to use the songwriting tools in Ezdrummer 2 with it you can still get it and just activate the midi out feature and use it like EzPlayer and send midi to Superior 2

• Just bought it yesterday and realized it hardly contains any midi files and how toontrack now has me hooked on midi packs. 8|

It guess it will be a really useful tool once there is a larger midi library to search through.

• Just bought it yesterday and realized it hardly contains any midi files and how toontrack now has me hooked on midi packs. 8|

It guess it will be a really useful tool once there is a larger midi library to search through.

Audiodeluxe have a sale on at the moment where the packs are a little better than half price.....

http://audiodeluxe.com/search/…w%3A%22On%20Sale%20Now%22

• 1. I was using the tap feature using the mouse. And it lags really badly. I know the simple solution is to hook up the keyboard or similar but I'm a guitar player and those key things scare me ;)

2?

curious as to what soundcard you are using?
    do you need an asio s/c for ez drummer 2?

• Hi there,

apart from the better workflow and this MIDI-recognize-function, how are the new kits you can build with the new samples?
    are u satisfied with those? i think i will download anyway. 8o

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• I think the kits are awesome, a modern sounding one and a vintage sounding one.
    Workflow is very good. Lots of possibilities to alterate a midi loop on the fly without tedious editing in the piano roll (This is like a Jamstix-ification of EZD2, without Jamstix' deep alteration possibilities).
    As I own LOTS od SDX`s I also have plenty of midi material (maybe not enough, let's see)... :)

All in all a VERY smart move of Toontrack!

• curious as to what soundcard you are using?

curious as to what soundcard you are using?

I'm using an external firewire interface, a Focusrite Pro 24. The Asio driver for this is already set up in Reaper and gives great results from other control surfaces. I need to re-connect my keyboard and do it that way as I can't see anything inside EZ drummer to tweak.

Mouse is a wired Logitech into the USB port.

• I have them Slate, Logic X and EzDrummer2 and EzDrummer 2 is easily the best songwriting tool and most intuitive to use. Logic X drummer is very good also but it just got kicked out the park. It will be interesting where they take it to now.

Slate sounds better and SD2 prob does too, but EzD2 is a supplement that everyone should look to have considering its cheap and highly effective.

+1

I love Slate drums, especially the signature series for the tone, but EZD2 is way more intuitive for songwriting

• I still haven't figured out how to route the EZdrummer midi to another channel with Superior Drummer on it for sounds, in Reaper, but that's how I'll do it, cause I like Reapers NY Vol 3 drum set.

But I also toyed with having EZ and SD both play at the same time and mixing between them to get a unique drum sound, so that's cool.

I see that Toontrack puts their own packs into a proprietary database so you can't take their MIDI, but also, you can't put external MIDI there to be searchable in the TAP function, which makes me sad (boo hop) as I have 5x the MIDI files from Groove and many other third party, as well as Slate, etc.

But that said, this is a very useful tool and for not much money, so I can hope, but not complain!