The only sound i haven't yet gotten out of the kemper

• Think of volume as the level of sound and distortion as a sound too loud overlapping itself and forming a more radical, effected frequency. These are not the same things, even though that's how a tube amp distorts. Even a conventional speaker will distort if you push it too loud. But with something like the Kemper, you can get monstrous distorted sounds at low volume.

Cool Steve Wilson tip, Mr CK! :thumbup:

• I tried CKs suggestion for making the sound. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, either way, i couldn't make the sound happen.

I recorded a bit of myself playing with Lamberts Schmatz, max gain, no amp definition, wah on, volume up a bit, Neck pup. Then for shit and giggles, i put in three stompboxes with more volume and drive. The last part is just the amp, for reference.
    https://soundcloud.com/jesperb…mp-dist-solo-test/s-zcgRv

Notice how crazy long sustain there is. Which usually is a pretty good thing. For this, it's not. After having way too much gain, and even when adding more distortion, it still sounds like a guitar. When i take a note, i hear that note clearly. And even when the note fades away, with real stompboxes i usually get a dramatic attack of ambient noise coming up from behind the note that is fading away. With this it's a more slow and gradual transition from note to background noise.

The thing that appeals to me about the multiple OD/dists sound as in the Wilson song, is the way the distortion fucks up the notes. After no more than 3-4 seconds I lose the note. Play two notes at the same time and it turns into a mess. That is far from what i get when i try with the stompboxes in the KPA (clearly demonstrated in the clip :))

• the info available on BG's gear is sketchy at best. That guy is a known prankster that loves to confuse peolple about what he uses.
    the six Pandora in series 'info' has been going around for over a decade now.
    chasing BG's tone (and I'm a huge fan of early ZZTop stuff and the Rhythmeen/Antenna era) by looking at his gear is the completely wrong approach IMO.

• example uploaded https://soundcloud.com/kemperp…acking-01-2-green-screams

"two examples of stacking distortion stomps

example 1 - lower dist stomps:
    1a just the breaking up amp profile
    1b + the first GS stomp
    1c + the second GS stomp

example 2 - more distortion from the stomps
    gain-wise the example is in reverse:
    2a the breaking up amp profile with two GS stomps
    2b just one GS stomp
    2c just the breaking up amp profile"

• That does sound really good.

It's not really stacking boxes that I have a problem with. It's stacking boxes with way too much distortion that doesn't sound the way I want.

• Don, I haven't listened to the clip yet as I'm at work but coming from you I'm sure it sounds good. Can you give us the settings for the 2 Green Screamers? Also can you shed some light on why when I stacked 2 of them myself I got the gain reduction that I've mentioned? Here are the settings of both my GS's that I used in my test:

Gain: 1.5
    Tone: 2.3
    Volume: 0.3

EDIT: Just heard the clip, sounds very good, that's exactly what I wanted to do, I'll give it another try when I have time. Seems your approach is a bit different than mine, from what I can hear your first set of clips has the amp gain around 12 o'clock, maybe less, and the screamers a bit more cranked than I usually use, also I usually have screamers paired with amps with a bit more gain.

Edited once, last by Deny ().