Reamping for complete beginner!

• Hi all!

I've recorded lots of DI tracks using a Yamaha THR10X, and now I want to reamp then with my Kemper tones.

I've read so many threads, FAQs and articles about reamping but it's all going straight over my head! Wondering if you guys and girls could help summarise what gear I'll need (the absolute minimum to make it work).

I have no interface (the Yamaha acts as a USB interface but has no inputs etc other than a 1/4 jack for the guitar), so if anyone can recommend a sturdy one, inexpensive (in the UK too) that'd be great! I've seen the Scarlett ones and a couple of M-Audio ones as well, but will I need a reamping box as well? And SPDIF? This is where I get confused!

Assume I just have my Computer, kemper and a guitar!

What goes where, and what goes in between!

Thanks for any help!

• Either the Focusrite 6i6 or the MOTU Audio Express work with SPDIF reamping. I currently use the Focusrite and am very happy with the unit. No problems or issues. Also, you will need either headphones or a set of studio monitors. I am using the M-Audio BX5 D2 set of studio monitors and the KPA sounds great. Lastly, I am guessing you need a DAW. Reaper is inexpensive and easy on CPU usage.

Hope this helps.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• If you need an inexpensive audio-interface then check out the Tascam US-144 - it has S/PDIF slots and thus enables you to re-amp. Then you will - as mentioned - need a pair of studio monitors or headphones (for the "left: wet, right: dry" thing - explained in a video from nakedzen which you can find on youtube). And you will need 2 s/pdif cables to connect your interface to your KPA. Thats really all you need for re-amping :)

• Awesome guys, thanks! Got a better idea for interfaces and I Think I'll go for the Tascam us144, based on price as I need a quick turnaround!

How would I go about connecting it up to Kemper? Am I right in thinking I'll be playing the dry DI signals from PC, through Interface, into kemper then it comes back to PC and records the new wet signal?

If there's any *really* bonehead simple videos/articles you guys could recommend in regards to cabling it up and setting up in my DAW (Cubase) that'd be great!

Thanks for your help so far :)

• If you're using SPDIF, you'll need coaxial SPDIF cables or RCA cables. They use the same connector, but proper SPDIF cables use better wire and give you a better quality signal. For home stuff, or with really short wires (a couple of feet), the difference isn't likely to be noticeable. I use a pair of RCA cables just fine. The SPDIF connection would look like:

Kemper SPDIF Out --> Tascam SPDIF In
    Tascam SPDIF Out --> Kemper SPDIF In

If you're using regular cables, something like:

Kemper Main Out, L + R --> Tascam Line In, L + R
    Tascam Line Out L --> Kemper Auxiliary In

Note that, using analog cables, setting up for reamping means you have to unplug your monitors from the Tascam and mess with the levels on a few things to get everything right. Using SPDIF makes it dirt simple - at most, you have to change the input source under the Kemper's Input button.

On the Kemper, press the Output button and page through until you get to setting the sources for each output. For reamping, you want either SPDIF or Main Out set to one of the "Git / ____" options. Depending on whether you're using reverb and want to record it from the Kemper rather than using reverb in your DAW, you might want to use "Git / Mod Mono" to take your reamped signal before the delay and reverb modules. If you're using SPDIF you'll have to change the input source under the Input button to SPDIF and then adjust the Reamp Sense knob to get the signal to a good level.

• You can't record guitar and reamp at the same time. You can either choose the guitar input or SPDIF. But that doesn't mean you won't hear the distorted guitar, depending on what channel you're outputting the dry and wet signals. After recording the DI track, change Kemper input to SPDIF, set reamp parameter to taste and keep scrolling till you find the sound you want. Remember to set output to master stereo or stack afterward.

• Thanks for all your help guys!
    After battling with the connections on Cubase, I got it working! Quite simple once it was all going!

Tracks are sounding so much better!

• If you're using SPDIF, you'll need coaxial SPDIF cables or RCA cables. They use the same connector, but proper SPDIF cables use better wire and give you a better quality signal.

Digital signal doesn't degrade the same way like analog does. If you get "bad signal" there is no signal at all. :) Or rather, there is signal degradation along the cable, but when the signal arrives at your computer and it is still strong enough to be readable, the computer has a perfect 100% stream and there is no change in sound, since bits are just ones and zeroes and the computer reads the information stream as either fully on or fully off.

High quality gold plated s/pdif cables are nothing but snake oil. Would you buy a "high quality HDMI cable" for a better picture to your TV, or a "high quality USB cable" for better quality file copying to an external hard drive? :D

Here's the already mentioned vid I made if anyone else than op is having trouble: :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Digital signal doesn't degrade the same way like analog does. If you get "bad signal" there is no signal at all. :) Or rather, there is signal degradation along the cable, but when the signal arrives at your computer and it is still strong enough to be readable, the computer has a perfect 100% stream and there is no change in sound, since bits are just ones and zeroes and the computer reads the information stream as either fully on or fully off.

Coaxial SPDIF uses fractions of a volt for the signal. I guarantee there's shit going on in your studio that could induce that much voltage into the cable, which has the potential to change whether a 1 or a 0 shows up at the other end. Now, you're only likely to notice a difference if the cable is crazy long (can pick up more noise) or the room is ridiculously noisy, electrically speaking (more noise for the cable to pick up), but it *can* be an issue.

Like I said above, any normal-person length of decent-quality RCA cable is going to work perfectly fine. If you're at all worried, just make sure it's not running parallel to any other cables and isn't sitting right under a fluorescent light.

• Digital signal doesn't degrade the same way like analog does. If you get "bad signal" there is no signal at all. :) Or rather, there is signal degradation along the cable, but when the signal arrives at your computer and it is still strong enough to be readable, the computer has a perfect 100% stream and there is no change in sound, since bits are just ones and zeroes and the computer reads the information stream as either fully on or fully off.

High quality gold plated s/pdif cables are nothing but snake oil. Would you buy a "high quality HDMI cable" for a better picture to your TV, or a "high quality USB cable" for better quality file copying to an external hard drive? :D

Here's the already mentioned vid I made if anyone else than op is having trouble: :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Great vid nakedzen!! Going to try this today.