Ultimate High Definition guitar recordings suggestions

• Was having another conversation on fidelity with a fellow Kemperite when the subject of Hi-Def guitar recordings came up. Do they exist? Would love to hear from the Forum regarding your favorite guitar records.

Think of the question this way : any guitar recording that YOU think has unusual detail, depth and tone and represents a remarkable recording.

Edited 2 times, last by MLScola ().

• Yeah, Hi-Def as a term is kind of a can of worms .... I'm looking for any guitar recording that anybody thinks is particularly stellar, something special, beyond the "normal" fidelity. So, any and all suggestions are valid including advance file formats.

Is there such a thing as a Hi-Def guitar recording? Damned if I know. Would love to find out.

I thought Jeff Beck's "Emotion Commotion" was pretty nice sounding album with a 64 piece orchestra but I would hesitate to call it HI-Def. Great recording though.

• Nakedzen,
    How about this ... any guitar recording that YOU think has unusual detail, depth and tone and represents a remarkable guitar recording. This whole thing started when someone tossed out the term Hi-Def which made me wonder if there was such a thing as a Hi-def guitar record. That's why I asked the question. Because if there is, I'd like to hear it. Who better to ask than the Forum?

• Well it's so subjective... it's be easier to just name a track by your favorite guitarist or something.. there's just as much technique in micing an acoustic guitar as an amp, maybe more..

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Well it's so subjective... it's be easier to just name a track by your favorite guitarist or something.. there's just as much technique in micing an acoustic guitar as an amp, maybe more..

Of course! But don't put too much thought into this. If you love any particular record and think it represents the best recording of an acoustic or electric guitar, mention it.

• I have two records that i think is a good answer. Very different kinds of records.

The first is Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing. It is not a "guitar record", but so much care have been taken to make the sounds, and that includes the guitars. It really showcases the diversity of the instrument. From the solo in Drive Home that is played with a sustainer, to the nashville tuned acoustics. And i really love that round tone he gets in the intro to drive home for example.
    And finally, the guitars are played by Guthrie Govan. Listen to the whole song, but in case you don't feel like it, just take a peek at the solo from 5.00.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycYewhiaVBk

The second is Paramore - Brand new eyes. The guitars are loud and huge. But at the same time smooth. I love it. It has really fine acoustic guitars too.

• Thanks Cybertwin, Jesper and Lokasenna!

I know Hysteria well, excellent example of well arranged parts and tones.
    Loved "Raven" ... good song, great solo, great tone. Liked Paramore.
    Will check out "Casualties" shortly.

Have to hook up my studio monitors immediately!

Sometime in the future I need to check out DSD, Blu-Ray, Pono, HDtracks file formats etc. I want to hear if any of these High Rez recordings are worth the effort and expense.

• Opeth album Damnation has a nice airy mix to it. Nothing but clean guitars though.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Others that spring to mind, the new Carcass album, Paradise Lost Tragic Idol has a good natural sound to it while still sounding very modern, also pretty much anything mixed by Sneap has a good clarity and separation to it although his mixes sound a bit robotic/sterile because of it imho.

• Jim Campalingo - Orange

A Tele master welds angular lines of jazz, country and blues through a fender amp whose transformer seems to be melting :)

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Opeth album Damnation has a nice airy mix to it. Nothing but clean guitars though.

I really love that album. The sounds are so very Wilson. (The damnation album together with Harvest and Dirge for November from blackwater park was what turned me on to Opeth)

But when it comes to the guitars, i don't think the acoustics are stellar. They work in context, but when i focus my listening on them they don't sound great.

The electrics are really good though.

• Casualties of Cool is great, very atmospheric vibe. Just bought the album! Thanks.
    Opeth, excellent, yes very airy, surprised by orchestration, first time I've heard them.
    Jim Campilongo Orange. Kind of reminds me of Roy Buchanan with wider musical horizons.

Thanks for the suggestions. All this stuff is great and I love hearing it. It's all new to me.

Edited once, last by MLScola ().