New firmware released - 2.4.1 beta / 2.4.2 beta

• The bug is fixed. A modded profile I had clipped with the bug and now doesn't.

CK said it would be fixed with the next update since. If it was an intentional omission, that would be strange since CK came on to say it existed and would be fixed. He caught it rather quickly.

Perhaps HE fixed it and the Team didn't and the team logs bugs?!? Could just be some dumb miscommunication. I was a programer for a few years, and did QC testing for a year, and if the boss fixed something he found, half the time he didn't even tell us. He just fixed it cause it was his company and moved on. Busy guy.

Either way, the promise is kept, the problem is solved, and we got more free profiles from the Kemper partnership with Third Party Profilers.

I call that a "Good Day" for me!

• Peto found a workaround for Rig Manager, will this help you get by for now? Workaround

That brings us to another oversight by the Kemper team... You don't know that the latest Rig Manager version requires the 2.4 firmware :D It tells you that you need to update the firmware only after you have updated the RM. Nice.

So by the time I have updated the RM, there was no way of reverting to the "old" RM to use the workaround solution, because on the KPA support page there are no links to download previous RM versions.

Anyway, this is all too convolved.

Point is -> They made a mistake, no one will die :) But put it in the damn CHANGELOG! :D

• Problem 2:

Let's say someone DOESN'T KNOW about the bug and reamps half of a project using the "buggy" firmware. Later, they update the firmware (keeping in mind that Kemper team promised that firmware upgrades will never change the CORE sound of a profile) but the SOUND IS CHANGED. I would go crazy!!

The best solution here is not to use anything which is beta in production flow. It was said many times before. Beta version is only for users, who are willing to play with latest versions and to discover possible bugs. If you want to be sure to get bug-free firmware revisions, use only RELEASE versions and not BETAs.

As for Problem 1, you are right, this was mistake on Kemper's side, they told us it will never happen again.

I would not take it so serious. Imagine, that Kemper releases no beta versions and we get only regular release versions once in 3 months.
    Some of us prefer to get beta toys, because we are curious about new features and we like to play with fire. And it also helps Kemper in testing new features.

• The RM <--> OS Update can be a real issue. That needs to be worked out.

But I would not ever upgrade before doing a project until it's a Stable Release. And if I did upgrade to a stable release with a bug, and couldn't use the RM, there is always the online Free Exchange. And it helps to be backing up your made Rig Manager folders & files to a separate File Folder on your (current: PC) as a usable backup to begin with. Just so you don't lose the organization should an accident occur or your db become corrupt. Stuff happens.

• So by the time I have updated the RM, there was no way of reverting to the "old" RM to use the workaround solution, because on the KPA support page there are no links to download previous RM versions.

With software like this I use to keep all downloaded versions for such cases.
    If you need older version of RM, you can PM me and I will send it to you. ;)

• The best solution here is not to use anything which is beta in production flow. It was said many times before. Beta version is only for users, who are willing to play with latest versions and to discover possible bugs. If you want to be sure to get bug-free firmware revisions, use only RELEASE versions and not BETAs.

2.4.0 WAS a RELEASE version for some days.

So I see this a valid point:
    If anybody tweaked sounds for 2.4.0 or created new rigs by profiling - and used these sounds for a project - he/she is lost.

Any other (older or later) version will sound different - and there is no way to continue the project with the same sound other than using 2.4.0.

That's why it would be best to know what happened and if there is any fix - eg. set the EQ to xxxx to get the same sound as in 2.4.0.

I am glad I did no new profiles in 2.4.0.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Thanks for the workflow suggestions. I've been doing this job for quite sometime and I'm well aware of what a beta is and what backups do. I have my stuff on 3 different HDs and there's no chance of me losing anything - I lost nothing here, only a couple of hours.

Also, I'm sure that you are aware that in a busy environment a couple of hours of troubleshooting can be quite a "downer" :)

Again, I'm not trying to say that something extra horrible happened, I'm just trying to communicate the importance of a changelog.

As for this:

The best solution here is not to use anything which is beta in production flow. It was said many times before. Beta version is only for users, who are willing to play with latest versions and to discover possible bugs. If you want to be sure to get bug-free firmware revisions, use only RELEASE versions and not BETAs.

2.4 was originally intended to be a RELEASE version, that's why it was a requirement for the RM. It was IMPOSSIBLE to use a RELEASE version of the firmware with the RM. It was beta or nothing.

Guys, it was obviously a MISTAKE by the KPA team. Nothing horrible. YES THEY DO MAKE MISTAKES, just admit it :D

I'm not saying they are idiots for making a mistake, I'm saying they should keep a changelog. That's it. Stop beating a dead horse.

• So I see this a valid point:
    If anybody tweaked sounds for 2.4.0 or created new rigs by profiling - and used these sounds for a project - he/she is lost.

Any other (older or later) version will sound different - and there is no way to continue the project with the same sound other than using 2.4.0.

EXACTLY! :)

• 2.4.0 WAS a RELEASE version for some days.

You are right, but it was a mistake on Kemper's side.
    I was rather referring to normal software development flow.
    I can tell you, that if I was dependent on Kemper as a tool used in production flow, I would not update to release version sooner as two week after release date and thorough forum reading. It's better to be safe than sorry in this case.

• You are right, but it was a mistake on Kemper's side.
    I was rather referring to normal software development flow.
    I can tell you, that if I was dependent on Kemper as a tool used in production flow, I would not update to release version sooner as two week after release date and thorough forum reading. It's better to be safe than sorry in this case.

So now it's not only about the BETA, now it's about the "not more then 2-weeks old RELEASE"... Come on :D

You are aware of the fact that it was a either 2.4 or no Rig Manager choice?

• 2.4 was originally intended to be a RELEASE version

Not sure about this.
    I did catch it like:
    2.4.0 Public Beta available By Burkhard (Apr 27th 2014, 11:43am)
    2.4.0 Release now available By Burkhard (May 9th 2014, 8:33am)
    Correction: 2.4.0 still Public Beta By Burkhard (May 10th 2014, 10:58am)

So version 2.4.0 was not meant to be Release.

• 1. It doesn't matter! It was 2.4 or no RM.

2. You are arguing for the sake of arguing. If the essence of the matter is not clear to you, I'm sorry. I think I've been perfectly clear.

• So now it's not only about the BETA, now it's about the "not more then 2-weeks old RELEASE"... Come on

2.4.0 was elevated to Release version by mistake only for 26 hours. As I said I would not even touch anything before it is out for at least two weeks. This way you would be safe even in case of this mistake. But this are only my 2cents.

You are aware of the fact that it was a either 2.4 or no Rig Manager choice?

Yes I agree, this should not happen.

• 2.4.0 was elevated to Release version by mistake only for 26 hours. As I said I would not even touch anything before it is out for at least two weeks. This way you would be safe even in case of this mistake. But this are only my 2cents.

I agree, I wouldn't either. I'm not that keen on beta testing bugs. But it wasn't a choice. It was 2.4 or no RM, as I already said.

Also, thanks for the offer to send me the earlier version of the RM. I solved my problem with backups. But thank you anyway!

• 2. You are arguing for the sake of arguing. If the essence of the matter is not clear to you, I'm sorry. I think I've been perfectly clear.

I am not trying to argue with anyone. I was disturbed with this issue at least as you were. I even started thread about it: HERE.

• I am not trying to argue with anyone. I was disturbed with this issue at least as you were. I even started thread about it: HERE.

No hard feelings I hope! :thumbup: I was just getting a bit frustrated because I felt that what I was saying wasn't getting through.

And what I'm saying is... A CHANGELOG helps :D

• No body talking about the sound .
    Personally I don't give a shit about boot time , it took me much longer to warm up my amps properly .

2.4.1 sound is completely different than 2.4.0 and 2.3 release.

I am going back to 2.3 release, since something is really wrong with 2.4 , I do not want to waste my time, waiting for 2.4 sound to be fixed.

In 2.4.0 too much bass, now in 2.4.1 I have to add bass and to be worse it lacking mids, since there is no that natural , brown meat sound , especially in vintage distorted rigs.

Try TAF Fargan in 2.3 versus 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 and you will know what I am talking about .
    Fargan have that unmistakable bass distortion (which can come from heavy broken speakers as well) like no any amp on the world and I kindly recommend to Kemper team to use it like a reference during OS updates.

ps
    for the truth sake, I didn't play with new cab parameters , maybe there is a problem
    Very similar thing happened when the new Green Scream was introduced, I had to adjust all rigs with green scream to match the sound, where new sound was better than previous.

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 3 times, last by Rescator ().