New firmware released - 2.4.1 beta / 2.4.2 beta

• Not mentioning fixed bugs is not really the way things are done IMO. That's why changelogs exist. Is there a KPA changelog?

As a long time beta tester for companies like Adobe, Boris FX and AJA Video, I have NEVER seen a software release (Beta or Final) that doesnt mention the fix of a bug from a previous version. Release docs ALWAYS mention fixes and enhancements. Period.They exist to clearly communicate with users / customers.

I have the utmost respect for the Kemper crew and marvel at their work.

But this strikes me as rather unprofessional or just sloppy.

And with that, Im moving on.

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• The bug is not a feature enhancement. It only exists in 2.4.0 and we were all warned by the company that it somehow had crept in to the code. Kemper Amplifier and Mr CK have explicitly stated: the core sound engine of the Kemper will never change.

As such, Timo saying the bug is fixed is good enough for me, especially since the "fix" was super fast and a couple of additional improvements were made. I don't believe there's any need to berate the company for not mentioning it in the "changelog", which is posted with every new release.

Perhaps we could include this kind of information in the WiKPA. What do you think, viabcroce?

Peto: I believe Armin posted his boot up time results. It was quoted on P1 of this thread in response to a similar question I posed.

There's a whole thread about this too.

• isn't instead the case in which the team didn't mention it to get rid of the psychological factor?

we all know that this 'p' factor often played funny jokes to a lots of kemper users. this way, not mentioning it, this p factor is resized a lot so that people testing it would trust their physical hears instead of the psychological ones.

just my sci-fi opinion

michael

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Peto: I believe Armin posted his boot up time results. It was quoted on P1 of this thread in response to a similar question I posed.

I know :) db9091 also reported his boot times. I am sure that most of us will measure boot time improvement by ourselves anyway, so why not report it? :)
    Men like to measure "things", you know. :D

• I don't understand the discussion: if you hear sound changes in 2.4.1, you'll go back to 2.3.3. If not, then you stay with it. ;)

this!!

Take it easy 8)
    They simply have little experience with things that don't work.
    I wouldn't even call it a bug but YMMV :thumbup:

• OK, now Im REALLY moving on (promise) :D

I'll call you up on that.
    Go play yer new guitar! :D

Having said that, I would have found it better to declare the bug officially as fixed because of the history of having put the release back to beta status.
    Guitarists are a sensitive bunch.

But no need to get over- excited about it.

• Hmm, well the sound has definitely changed from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 can't say for the better though. It's more defined more treble, less lower mids, somehow less like a real amp, like the mic got stuck back up against the paper dome again. I might change back to 2.4.0 as I prefer the more distant mic'ed/air/room/natural sound it gave.

• IMHO does it not make sense to compare 2.4 beta (with the bug) and 2.4.1 (without the bug).

The question is does 2.4.1 sound the same as 2.33 (latest release version).

When 2.4 sound DIFFERENT because of a bug - then some may even prefer this "buggy sound" - but that is not the point - the KPA should sound as close as possible to the profiled signal chain - not "better".

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I need to profile with both to see which sounds closer to the real amp.

Here's a sample though of "PaulTS Jubilee Marsh" profile with a strat. I'd tweaked the cab parameters to add more bass and reduce the treble slightly from the stock, but it's the same in both firmware versions. To me the difference is huge, and not just bass response.

http://www.peranders.com/general/firmwaretest.wav

[edit]First is 2.4.0, second is 2.4.1[/edit]

• Yup the tone difference was huge with 2.4.0, almost sounded like a cheap stereo instead of a guitar cab. I'll check it out later and also post my boot times. If the times are decent enough I'll forgo buying a UPS for my rack and that will make my day! Thanks again Kemper for following through with the fix as promised, couldn't care less if it's in the release notes or not, I'm worried about the results and not so jaded by other companies that I won't let Kemper slide for showing they are human beings :)

• Wow! That is quite a difference. I did a similar test of 2.4 vs 2.3 vs 2.2 but the results were not that obvious. I would really like some clarification from Kemper on this. I intend on adding 2.4.1 to the comparison soon.

https://soundcloud.com/user501751099/2-4v2-3v2-2

Order is 2.4, 2.3, 2.2

• Forget 2.4 - it was buggy - if you like to compare use 2.33 and 2.41.

And the clip must be WITHOUT any changes in the cab parameters - because they are different (improved) in 2.4x

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• I'm not a guitarist, I'm a professional sound engineer and I do this for a living.

Problem 1:

It's 2AM and I need to finish a reamping job fast (half of the album already reamped). Rig Manager is an important part of my workflow as I have made an extensive library of tones I prefer for specific genres / tasks / bands. I turn it on and figure out that I need to upgrade to the latest firmware version which is a BETA. So, I need to upgrade my KPA to a firmware that contains an IMPORTANT bug, and the Kemper team is aware of it. So... I can choose not to install the firmware or not use the Rig Manager (most profiles are not even on my KPA). What would you do?

Problem 2:

Let's say someone DOESN'T KNOW about the bug and reamps half of a project using the "buggy" firmware. Later, they update the firmware (keeping in mind that Kemper team promised that firmware upgrades will never change the CORE sound of a profile) but the SOUND IS CHANGED. I would go crazy!!

Now, we can all agree that people / companies make mistakes, and that that's something that happens. But I think that the above scenario has clearly proven the point that A CHANGELOG MUST EXIST!!!!

Don't put down other people's opinions on the matter just because it's "not that important" to you.

• Peto found a workaround for Rig Manager, will this help you get by for now? Workaround

• Yes you are right - that the release version of the rig manager needs a beta firmware version is strange.

The problem was that 2.4.0 was a release version for some days.

So any rigs created in that timeframe and maybe profiles created with 2.4.0 will sound strange in earlier or later versions.

Would be great to get some answers from the mothership.

But to prove that 2.4.1 is now the same as 2.3.3 needs a rig without any cab parameter changes.

2.4.0 WILL sound different - no need to prove this - this was confirmed by CK as a bug.

Edited 2 times, last by Armin ().