firmware 2.5 factory rigs list

• Can't understand why there is no tag, or flag, or any other stupid trick to determine if a rig is coming from FACTORY. If Rig Manager could add (rather substitute) text to a comment within a multiple rigs selection, we at least could add a personal flag in the comments field.

In fact, browsing rigs without any sort of grouping (categories, folders, etc.) is a very difficult task. KPA is a great machine, but some basic concept on usability (software side) must be reviewed from start.

f.

• After updating select to view "last imported" in browse mode, this way you are only viewing the factory rigs you just got. I review them, save what I like which makes them a favorite, then I delete all non-favorites so I don't have to be bothered with them again. Hope this helps.

• Can't understand why there is no tag, or flag, or any other stupid trick to determine if a rig is coming from FACTORY. If Rig Manager could add (rather substitute) text to a comment within a multiple rigs selection, we at least could add a personal flag in the comments field.

In fact, browsing rigs without any sort of grouping (categories, folders, etc.) is a very difficult task. KPA is a great machine, but some basic concept on usability (software side) must be reviewed from start.
    f.

We have a number of grouping and category features ...

• Can I create a folder on Kemper? Can I create custom tags? Can I select directly the Factory Rigs?

:)

I'm an ex POD Pro user. I'm also an ex "in-rehearsal-room-tone2song-quickly-tweaker" without hopeness.

Sorry, but this is the fact. KPA is usable live only if it was in-studio pre-configured. Otherwise, great pain and anxiety.
    I love this machine, but the interface is not for rapid setup of songs. It' mandatory, in performance mode, a massive use of renaming to avoid confusion. Renaming is a time-wasting task. Not for rehearsal room where you pay per hour and the band want PLAY.

Devices like POD have a limited palette of Amps and Effects, so you don't need years to learn combining them. KPA does not. KPA have tons of versions of the same amp, profiled by different users. Totally different approach. Current level of live usability must be improved with great priority, I think.

in 1997 I wrote a real-time patch editor for the BOSS GX-700. Old device, little and poor interface, but USABLE! :) Why? Because of one only knob. I'm constantly conscious that that knob is tweaking a parameter. I select the parameter with two keys < and >, so three only commands constantly under my fingers are working without any doubt. On KPA the eyes and the fingers are continuously moving! You loose the target of your actions and thinks, especially if you have directly in your ears a drumkit with an impatient drummer on top of it.

f.

• Here's a way to get your sounds set up for live use, without using up too much rehearsal time -

Before rehearsal:

Choose just one gain sound to use at the next rehearsal.

Choose just one clean sound to use at the next rehearsal.

Adjust the clean and gain sounds to have the tone and volume balance you need to be able to switch from a clean to a gain sound during a song. If you cannot turn up to stage volume at home, you may have to re-adjust these at the rehearsal space.

At rehearsal:

At rehearsal volume (or stage volume, if it is different), you can make the final adjustments to be sure the clean and gain sounds have the tone and volume balance you need to be able to switch from a clean to a gain sound during a song.

After rehearsal:

You can add all the other sounds you need, and you can compare the volume, bass, treble, etc of these other sounds to the two sounds you already used at rehearsal. If you have to turn down at home, that effect will also be present in the two reference rigs. Tweak the additional rigs to be balanced with the reference rigs, and when you turn up for rehearsal/performance, they will still be balanced (or, so close that only a minor tweak will be needed).

• Sorry, but this is the fact. KPA is usable live only if it was in-studio pre-configured. Otherwise, great pain and anxiety.
    I love this machine, but the interface is not for rapid setup of songs.

Sorry, but this is completely wrong. I've been using the profiler live for more than two years now without any problem.

First, follow Paul's advice above. This is excellent advice to determine your starting points.
    Then do some preparation work at home. Make performances and name them according to the songs you're playing.
    Filling the performances with rigs that fit will be very easy then once you got the basics down about loudness and EQ of some basic clean, crunch and distortion rigs.

• Well guys, to be fair loosigoosi wrote you need some homework before jumping on stage, which is what you confirmed.
    He was comparing the KPA experience with other devices which are to his eye easier to set in real time. I've never owned a POD and can't comment on this. I guess each musician has developed a sense of what is practical, comfortable or useful depending on their experiences and skill.
    Please, let's not turn this board into another "kill the infidel" one, there are already plenty of those out there... :)

Pretty sure a "Factory" tag would be welcome, for example in order to delete the related rigs all at once, or to just browse through them, or to count them in order to get an idea of the state of things.

:)

• Can I create a folder on Kemper?

In Browse Mode we offer views: You can downselect for example your "Favorites" or the rigs with you as the rig author (My Rigs). On top you can sort the selected rigs by multiple criterias e. g. gain.

In Performance Mode you are able to organize 625 additional sounds by set-list and song, or if you want by amp.

• Here's a way to get your sounds set up for live use, without using up too much rehearsal time -

Very good workflow, at least in theory. I think some tweaking of Monitor EQ can also help to have the double situation home/rehearsal less painful.

I'm waiting for some Performance mode manager software.
    I think the management software should be a public domain programmer's API. A lot of advantages for users and for Kemper too, which could spend developer's energies to improve the sound related features. I'm a .NET developer, I could use the API to create some custom automation and share it on this Forum :) ...

• In Performance Mode you are able to organize 625 additional sounds by set-list and song, or if you want by amp.

Musician need to create his own categories! For example, if the need is to have a selection of tones to be used for a song or a set of songs, these tones must be selectable using a custom tag. Tags are not customizable. Or I'm missing something? :) Gain is not a useful criteria. Favorites is a too much generic criteria.
    If only we have customizable tags, things would be a lot better! :)

Performance mode is not easily surfable in rehearsal situations, IMHO. PM is not a good idea to create groups of tones, because they becomes not distinguishable if you doesn't schematize the name, and this is a painful task, especially when the time is money.

f.

• Each rig comes with 25 tagging fields, which you can populate with information at your convenience.

Each rig comes with 25 tagging fields, which you can populate with information at your convenience.

This doesn't solve the question. Tags are filled by the author of the profile/rig. The musician must be able to create a tag like "Style", "Guitar type", "Pickup config" or any other additional field in addition, without overwrite the original rig infos.

If I select a bunch of rigs in Rig Manager, and I want to categorize them for testing within a song, in most cases I can't write any personal info in any tag without overwrite something.

I know this is not simple to implement. But the issue is real, and needs a fix. Too much confusion, in a system in which the tones are essentially not model-based. Amp models are tweakable in their parameters, profiles are not (not really) so we must have different saved profile of an amp, one per gain/eq sweetspot... So the number of items grows and grows, and there is too much confusion in the palette of tones.

IMHO, of course. This is not the first device I tweak, and I can confirm, is not the most usable, for the above reasons only: confusion!

(please pass this little sarcastic joke: KPA OS is named KAOS not so randomly :D )

f.

• I for one would vote for the implementation of user-defined tags and some smart, powerful and versatile tag management methods, even on the device itself. It would be a much more advanced file manager than simple folders :thumbup:

• Hmm, I have bought the KPA some days ago and updated immediately, but I have "just" about 260 rigs, where have all the other gone? Or how can I reload them? Already tried the "get factory rigs" option, but there are always these 260 rigs.

• Anyone play guitar here ???? :P

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)