Interface pre-amp gain at zero..?

• I'm relatively new to this so this is probably a total 'noob' question, although trying to search the forum for an answer didn't show up anything.

I plug my Kemper directly into my Roland Quad-Capture interface using 2 XLR cables, but what I find is that it clips like crazy on the default volume setting unless I totally kill my pre-amp gain down to zero.

I have yet to experiment with turning the KPA master volume down so that I can actually use some of my interfaces pre-amp gain (haven't had time yet), but in the meantime I just wanted to check if anyone else had this 'problem' and if it was normal..?

Having the pre-amp gain at zero I wouldn't have expected to even pick up the signal, so I find it all a bit strange.

• Does the Roland have settings for the input of mic/line? KPA puts out a line level signal, if the interface is expecting mic level signals you could get this.

Having said that, I usually have my KPA master output at around -17db to make the sound man and FOH board happy.
    The KPA definitely puts out a nice strong level. Don't be afraid to adjust the master outputs if needed.
    Sean

• Does the Roland have settings for the input of mic/line? KPA puts out a line level signal, if the interface is expecting mic level signals you could get this.

Having said that, I usually have my KPA master output at around -17db to make the sound man and FOH board happy.
    The KPA definitely puts out a nice strong level. Don't be afraid to adjust the master outputs if needed.
    Sean

Does the Roland have settings for the input of mic/line? KPA puts out a line level signal, if the interface is expecting mic level signals you could get this.

I don't think there's any settings to be tweaked, it has those inputs where you can stick an XLR or a 1/4 inch jack into the same hole, I don't know what they're called but I guess they're just the standard these days. Then you would just adjust the input gain as normal.

I'll try it with a lower master volume on the Kemper as soon as I get a chance, I just wondered would it make any difference to the sound; the way it is currently, verses a lower KPA volume and some actual interface pre-amp gain. I guess it's up to me now to try it out and update this thread accordingly :rolleyes:

• I have yet to experiment with turning the KPA master volume down so that I can actually use some of my interfaces pre-amp gain (haven't had time yet), but in the meantime I just wanted to check if anyone else had this 'problem' and if it was normal..?

Having the pre-amp gain at zero I wouldn't have expected to even pick up the signal, so I find it all a bit strange.

completely normal behaviour.

there absolutely no need to pre amplify the signal from the Profiler.
    Having the pre-amp of your device at 0 means that there is no amplification happening, as is should be with line level signals.

reducing the output of the Profiler and then using the preamp of your device to counter that is pointless and considered bad gain staging. all it would do is probably introduce some extra noise.

most of the other posts in this thread assume that you can't get a non-clipping signal without turning down the Profiler, you state in your first post however, that the clipping only takes place if you use your preamp.
    solution: don't use the preamp (preamp gain at 0) :)