FW 2.6 thread

• Agreed - the honeymoon effect :) You start by listening actively for the stuff that is said has been improved. That is what you hear, and since you're listening very actively for it, you MAY hear it as being exaggerated, or perceive it to be the greatest thing ever. Either one of these could be totally justified, mind you. Then you get a bit used to the new tone, and you start noticing what goes on in other areas.

• Agreed - the honeymoon effect :) You start by listening actively for the stuff that is said has been improved. That is what you hear, and since you're listening very actively for it, you MAY hear it as being exaggerated, or perceive it to be the greatest thing ever. Either one of these could be totally justified, mind you. Then you get a bit used to the new tone, and you start noticing what goes on in other areas.

My spectrum analyzer plugin doesn't suffer from honeymoon effect. ;)

Goto this thread and listen by yourself and read the answer of CKemper. Probably, the change they did to the profiling process is just the lower frequency they consider in the profiling process.
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…d&threadID=16113&pageNo=1

• I take it the changes made in 2.6 affect both profile creation and profile interpretation. So:

If I take an old profile of Amp A and play through it with OS 2.6, it will have more bass than it did before?
    If I create a new profile of Amp A using OS 2.6 and play through it with OS 2.6, it will have even more bass than the old profile played through 2.6?

• I take it the changes made in 2.6 affect both profile creation and profile interpretation. So:

If I take an old profile of Amp A and play through it with OS 2.6, it will have more bass than it did before?
    If I create a new profile of Amp A using OS 2.6 and play through it with OS 2.6, it will have even more bass than the old profile played through 2.6?

Interesting and confusing indeed...

• From this thread:

• Is anyone else having duplicate profiles show up when you store -> replace a profile? About 20% of the time when I save a profile in place I end up with two copies of the profile, and when that happens my changes don't seem to be stored properly on either of them.

Just to update on this, it seems to be an interaction with Rig Manager. It doesn't happen if I don't have Rig Manager loaded, however if I have Rig Manager connected, the Kemper seems to get funky about saves and duplicates show up. I actually just ended up with my Mark IIC+ patch's amp/cab settings copied over my rectifier patch, yet still having all of the metadata of the Rectifier patch, while trying to adjust the definition on the rectifier rig. 8|

• My spectrum analyzer plugin doesn't suffer from honeymoon effect. ;)

And my ears are fine with 2.5.0 ;)

I'm not profiling at the moment and I never would profile with a beta, but some experienced guys like Lasse have a different opinion. They are not so happy with profiling under 2.6.0.

For me the whole low-end-stuff is not important, because I'll cut the low-ends of the guitars in the mix anyway to get space for bass, kick, keyboards ect. Maybe it's different if you perform live with FRFR-cabs. On the other side I tweaked all my profiles exactly to my taste and I don't want to have some fundamental changes there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• And my ears are fine with 2.5.0 ;)

I'm not profiling at the moment and I never would profile with a beta, but some experienced guys like Lasse have a different opinion. They are not so happy with profiling under 2.6.0.

For me the whole low-end-stuff is not important, because I'll cut the low-ends of the guitars in the mix anyway to get space for bass, kick, keyboards ect. Maybe it's different if you perform live with FRFR-cabs. On the other side I tweaked all my profiles exactly to my taste and I don't want to have some fundamental changes there.

Well. You don't always cut the guitars at the same frequency while mixing. Depends on the genre and how busy the mix is. Some of the profiles are already cut to high for some uses probably because the profiling process was cutting them like this.

The truth is that many people is getting better results and only two are complaining about the new process. ¿A bug or an user error while profiling? I don't know.

Listen to the test in the other thread.

• Wise comment.
    At a first listening I though there was more than a low end correction.

• And my ears are fine with 2.5.0 ;)

To me the new profiles dont have that kind of "more lowend" that you mean, the old profiles have more of that lowend that you have to cut in a mix. The improvement lowend in the new firmware is something like "more natural low mids" to my ears.
    The new profiles sound also tighter in the gainstructure to me and have nicer highmids/highs.
    In some old tests a friend and i had the feeling - "the real amp sits better in the mix than the Kemper profile". Now i would say the same to the "new profiles" they sit better and sound more natural.
    That improved lowmids is not the same like pushing with an EQ in this zone..its different.
    Also the "to much below 60hz" is different to me than cutting everything below 80hz. If it would be only this..it would have worked before. There is a lot of mud gone that has clouded the whole spectrum.
    But thats just my thought about everything..decide your on your own
    Also those i heard are much much closer to the real amp source. About 1% to nothing, not 3-5% like before.
    I´m sure the guys that had problems..something was wrong..may it be a bug or anything else

• Don't focus too much on the bass everyone, that's a step in the right direction in 2.6. The real problem is that the mids aren't profiled accurately anymore (which they used to before the change)

Hi! Some users reported that, after the update, their Direct Out configuration was changed to something different than Git-Analog. This could affect the results of the profiling. Did you check how your Direct Out was setup after the update?

UPDATE: the output is changed automatically to "git+processing" when you switch to Profile mode, so that should not be a problem.

Edited once, last by pacocito ().

• Don't focus too much on the bass everyone, that's a step in the right direction in 2.6. The real problem is that the mids aren't profiled accurately anymore (which they used to before the change)

Exactly, changing mids will have an enormous influence on all profiles, like I said I didn't spend a lot of time tweaking my profiles to a perfect result and then change everything again... I'm very careful with every FW-update changing the character of all profiles, for me 2.5.0 sounds excellent.

I tried 2.6.0-beta and I didn't experience that big difference, I'm using my KPA mainly for recording and I normally use high-quality studio monitors (Klein & Hummel, Genelec). I don't use FRFR-cabs, maybe the changes are more drastically there.

By the way, the lowest frequency on a standard tuning = 82,41 Hz on the E-string (61,74 Hz B-string on a 7-string/baritone-guitar), the highest frequency = 1175 Hz on the 22nd fret (1319 Hz on the 24th fret), so I don't care too much about everything below 60 Hz... ;)

[Blocked Image: http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/kingbee789/guitar-piano_zpsa588beb7.png]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• i also dont care about this area, because i cut it (there is still a lot of energy going on)
    its hard to explain...there is not more Bass or something...its more meat and less mudd going on in 2.6
    The profiles that i loved before sound to my ears now even better. So lets say i was happy with 2.5 but im 2.6 was "wow" and i only like profiles that i dont have to tweak.
    im talking about studio use mainly, but also more about highgain..maybe on midgain and clean the difference is not that much noticeable

Edit: did you check this comparison? to me 2.4 sounds good but 2.6 sound much much closer: Profiling with Firmware 2.6 vs 2.42

• This is true for the fondamental frequencies, but when sounds interact there are subharmonics as well due to intermodulation, which play an important role in a realistic sound. Then there's mixing, which is of course a different art and where you sculpt the sounds as you need/want.
    As for me, I always prefer to get a realistic reproduction of an instrument and then tweak it for my needs, and have to say don't get along with the "you'd cut it in the mix anyway" idea; although I can see how more mix-ready sounds could be more practical for sound engineers.
    :)

• yes subfrequencies will always be there - and should be there - but not more or less than in the Real amp imo.
    Mixready does not exist for me, only profiles that sit good in a mix..and with 2.6 they sit even better.
    You cant load a Michael Wagener (*add other producer here) profile...pan it..and thats it. Many people think that way ;)