Can any members help me out with some Angus Young rig suggestions?

• Just bought a 2006 Gibson SG standard with stock pickups, I am contemplating the signature pickup when funds allow!. And as a lifelong AC/DC nut would love to hear some isolated guitar examples of members rigs, commercial or free that get that get in the ball park of Mr Youngs sound. Anything right from the very early days up to Back in Black although the cherry on the cake would be Powerage era.

Should mention I already have TAF JTM45, TAF JMP , TAF JCM800 HOTMOD, Top Jimi TJ-68 Superlead, Top Jimi 78 Marshall 2204. Anyone done anything with those then even better.

Thanks guys

• Thanks guys,

Just a couple of questions

@ lef38 that Riff Raff bridge pickup, is it significantly better than a 490T to justify the outlay, be great to get some clips with the kemper just as a reference, hint :) Also is the JCM you mentioned different to the hot mod, was it in the Marshall pack or as a single?

Couple of mentions of volume here, I know he pretty much dimes a clean channel saturating the power stage, what is the equivalent (if there is one) in the KPA. I had assumed that the volume was simply the gain staging post amp rather than any wizardy that might emulate power tube saturation?

I have posted in solodallas.com to see if any members there, or even Fil himself would allow me a DI'd track and a close mic'd equivalent giving a solid reference to re-amp and fiddle with in Kemper but as yet no bites.

I can't link to my post as it's member sign up so forgive me for pasting the original post below.

If there are similar AC nuts here who have their sound nailed that could oblige with the sound files I'd be a very grateful. Anyway here's that post:

"Hi guys,

I'm a realist and as such a large factor in Angus's sound being the guy behind the wheel it know I will always be fighting against my own ability to try and dial in his tones , that's not to say I won’t still continue to practice like a mad man.

I recently took the plunge and bought a Kemper profiling amp and am now beginning my tone quest in earnest. The Kemper is an amazing piece of kit and and perfect for me when my "studio" is little more than a spare room. I know I still have much to learn about the Kemper and the interaction between its different stages but already I feel the anticipation at finally being able to get something near to the tone I hear on those classic earlier albums, or at least some one with the playing skills could.

Anyway that brings me to my question. Could any members here be willing/able to post a HQ mp3 (or .wav) tapped DI sound file along with the final mic'd result. This would give me to have a solid reference file that takes 'me' out of the equation. With those files I could finally do some meaningful re-amping in the Kemper using some of the great commercial profiles "The Amp Factory" in particular of some classic era Marshalls.

The Kemper profiles are all close mic'd, usually a 57 and or a 121 or U47, so the room I need to create after the fact. That's the one limitation of the profiling algorithm in the Kemper and getting used to the close mic'd sound was something of a reality shock to hear. With that said I have some pretty good room impulses and the Lexicon PCM reverb to try. It may even by an advantage to work simply with the close mic'd sound as I think I may be giving myself too much to fathom by aiming for a final in the room sound from the get go.

If anyone is willing to assist with this project please post me a reply and I'll get in touch."

• I remember seeing this video a while ago. I thought it was using a vendors profiles like Topjimi/vsp or someone else, I don't remember who.

If so, these are probably still available to purchase.

Sean

• Hi I made a couple of great ACDC rigs out of my Marshall combo ( JTM30) some time ago.

hear the samples here

the rigs are available on the rig ex under WarabA " JTM30 Angus " there is one for Angus and one for Malcolm

They are really good for breakup marshall tone with the full chords & strings separation. The Gain is indeed quite low but you might need to lower it again.

Here is the thread about my beloved JTM30

• For free: Get Simones Marshall Rigs they are really nice, and all free. Here´s one of his rigs, with some modification, played with my Tokai SG, Wild Honey pickups (really close to end 60s Gibson pickups) this time just an audio clip:

Ain´t no fun

And here´s Simone (s) modified rig for that:

rig AC/DC style

Also done with Simone rigs, will be a backing for another video!

aussie rock

Rock´n´Roll!

And don´t forget about the fingers! :D

• Also looked for that rig I used for that older video, but I did not store. I just took some Marshall rig (sorry, but I do not remember which one I was using, but that was not important to me as that can be made with most good sounding Marshall rigs) turned some knobs, and then did the video.

As I been asked pretty often about selling AC/DC style rigs: Most of the rigs I´m using are bought rigs, from Andy, Carsten Liftin, and Top Jimi ones. Simones free rigs (rig exchange) have a special natural charakter to me, it´s like playing the real amps just at a standard rock´n´roll setting. I can not take bought rigs or even free rigs from other guys, modify them to my taste, and sell them, that´s not possible. And I also do not want to make own profiles, I´m too busy with other work.

The Ain´t no fun rig is Angus sound (not 100% sure), Malcolms sound is a bit different, and also needs some different amp settings as he´s using his Gretsch guitars and pickups.

• @ ACY

Fantastic! I should have posted 2 hours ago but I haven't had my headphones off since picking up the modified rig you posted.

My stock 490T is I would say a bit more mid range and a tad less sizzle but overall this is the post I've been waiting on.

That was also a brilliant way to demo how the rig sits with the rest of the instruments, really helped "sell" the authenticity of the rigs tone in a meaningful way.

Really gives me plenty to think about in terms of the TAF marshalls, Southside 1959HW (thanks for the tip Gunter)

I'm sure there's quite a few of us hoping that you will at some future point share some of the paramater settings for the commercial profiles mentioned, I'm guessing most any player fascinated with AY's tone owns them already! Perhaps Andy et al would consider making a page alongside the bundle descriptions where they could be noted for existing and future owners of those packs.

Anyway thanks again you've made my week :D

• Thank you for that Acy! Wow.

I play Angus in an AC/DC tribute band and I am very impressed with that profile you posted.....as well as your clips! VERY Angussy!!!!

Do you have any Malcolm profiles you like? If so, would you share them? You have a great ear for tone! And you are a great player!

BTW I am using TAF JTM 45 44-JTM Push for my main tone. Our Malcolm uses a Kemper too! He is using a TAF Plexi profile for his tone.

Here is some video from a show - recorded with a zoom field recorder out in the crowd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h4t0LQsAK0

Please excuse the mistakes (particularly mine) .... this band is just our hobby :)