More fuzz

• I would love to have the Kemper allow stomps to be profiled and to be stored under the Kemper Stomps somehow...

I have so many great Fuzzes that could be profiled and shared.

Is there no way that instead of Kemper profiling via mic just to have it pass through the pedal and back into the Kemper? I could imagine dialing in the pedal with a guitar and amp and just removing the leads and putting it through the kemper and having the Kemper profile that directly into the Stomp section and not amp profiles.

Well just a dream which the right person may be able to capitalize on ;)

• You can actually do what you're suggesting, but will not be able to store the profiled stomp and use it as a stomp: fx in the Profiler are modelled, like in any other digital simulator.
    You can also load the profile as it is, but it will be loaded as a profile, you won't be able to use other amps along with it.

A third option is to profile the stomp with an amp which takes pedals well, but again you won't be able to switch the stomp off and will be stuck with that amp.

Last option, you can use any stomp or chain of stomps in the Profiler's loop and place them (almost) anywhere in the chain. Using MIDI you can built quite complex interactions between the Profiler and this external pedalboard.

• Thanks for the input Viabcroce.

Yeah, I will keep my fingers crossed that the peeps at Kemper will one day make it possible to store the pedals as Stomp profiles so they can be added to different amps. It is a dream scenario but hey, 10 years ago the idea that a digital profiler could recreate a realistic tube amp sound was also just a dream.

I will most certainly still run pedals both pre Kemper as well as through the effects loop. I really prefer having my effects in front of me and not in a modeler.

In studio applications I may use the Kemper effects but doubtfully outside of that.

The rig I will be running it with is also Stereo/Wet/Dry/Wet, so the Kemper is just an amazing find for me. A Stereo amp with monitor dry.

This is just one awesome invention!!!

Side note... I have yet to find a profile with a Klon in the mix. This seems like it would be a huge hit. Did I just miss them in my searches or is this one that has yet to be profiled?

• :)
    When this happens, we'll also have the possibility to run two or more profiles at the same time. Pretty sure this won't happen with the current incarnation, it wojld be like having n Profilers into one box :)

• alright,
    let's talk about fuzz.

exactly which flavor/color of fuzz do you think is missing in the Profiler?

Please be aware that quite a lot of fuzzes out there are sadly nothing more than a slightly tweaked Fuzz Face circuit - nothing wrong with a Fuzz Face of course - but we already have a model of that in the Profiler.
    Another quite popular fuzz is of course the Big Muff, which is also already covered.

Please suggest a specific pedal or pedal family (Tonebenders, for example) and how it would expand the Profiler/bring something new to the table.

We're always open to suggestions that make the Profiler even more desireable.
    Please kleep in mind that your suggestions should benefit a large number of people - a DIY pedal your buddy made, that everybody exept you and him hate obviously doesn't have much appeal. ;)

thanks!

• I think with the technology in the Kemper that it would be possible to do this with a bit of reprogramming to allow storage in the stomps block.
    The ability to layer effects on top of the profiles is already there which is pretty much two profiles working together.
    It may not happen soon but it certainly should be possible considering what the Kemper team has already accomplished.

If and when this happens I think my pedal board would find itself shrinking quite a bit. :)

• I think with the technology in the Kemper that it would be possible to do this with a bit of reprogramming to allow storage in the stomps block.
    The ability to layer effects on top of the profiles is already there which is pretty much two profiles working together.
    It may not happen soon but it certainly should be possible considering what the Kemper team has already accomplished.

Mhhh... No. As i wrote, fx in the Profiler are modelled, that is programmed just like any digital effect.
    We don't know whether the Profiler has got the memory and the CPU needed for running more that 1 profile at the same time. It's certainly not a matter of technology or design abilities, but has rather to do with how the Profiler has been "sized" in terms of hardware and costs.
    So, implementing this function would be a matter of FW upgrading (if it had been already planned), FW rewriting (if the current hardware supports it) or designing a brand new unit (if it doesn't).

It's now clear to me that Eng. Kemper has planned a long road for the Profiler, keeping it always "on the wave crest", as we say here, with progressive and regular improvements. So i'd not be surprised if the multiple-profiles option would have aready been planned since the beginning.
    OTOH, the constant costs reduction in the years will certainly give Kemper the opportunity to design a much more powerful Profiler in the future, at a fraction of the cost or at a similar price point, and i don't think they will miss the boat :thumbup:

... And let's not forget expansion boards :D

• Mhhh... No. As i wrote, fx in the Profiler are modelled, that is programmed just like any digital effect.
    We don't know whether the Profiler has got the memory and the CPU needed for running more that 1 profile at the same time. It's certainly not a matter of technology or design abilities, but has rather to do with how the Profiler has been "sized" in terms of hardware and costs.
    So, implementing this function would be a matter of FW upgrading (if it had been already planned), FW rewriting (if the current hardware supports it) or designing a brand new unit (if it doesn't).

It's now clear to me that Eng. Kemper has planned a long road for the Profiler, keeping it always "on the wave crest", as we say here, with progressive and regular improvements. So i'd not be surprised if the multiple-profiles option would have aready been planned since the beginning.
    OTOH, the constant costs reduction in the years will certainly give Kemper the opportunity to design a much more powerful Profiler in the future, at a fraction of the cost or at a similar price point, and i don't think they will miss the boat :thumbup:

... And let's not forget expansion boards :D

Thanks for the input, very insightful.

I merely was thinking that the pedal programs that are already existing within the Kemper are stored in the same digital format as a profile. Certainly if the profile data files are vastly more complex and need a lot more memory than this would be more than a software upgrade. Since the profiles can be stored on a USB stick I assumed that they were not too taxing on the Kemper's System.

Well, I will gladly play my Kemper with pedals on the floor and one day perhaps we will see the next generation come along. Either way the Kemper Profiler is an amazing innovative piece of gear, which I am really excited to plug into.

Thanks for all the insight and sorry if I ruffled any feathers saying that I thought that it would merely be a software upgrade issue. I should have stated that "I thought it might only be" :)

Cheers

• Since you've asked... :p

Skreddy Pedals' Lunar Module is an incredibly sexy and flexible fuzz, especially at low gain settings, would love to see it added to the KPA.

• +1 Agreed, The Skreddy Deluxe Lunar Module is one of my favorites, it is a great and flexible fuzz. The Analogman Sunface pedals are all fantastic too.

How does the Skreddy work with the Kemper? Are they playing nicely together?

• +1 Agreed, The Skreddy Deluxe Lunar Module is one of my favorites, it is a great and flexible fuzz. The Analogman Sunface pedals are all fantastic too.

How does the Skreddy work with the Kemper? Are they playing nicely together?

I use my Lunar Module in a different rig, which is a pedalboard with a switching system that allows me to take it, along with other pedals, in or out of the signal chain using a MIDI pedalboard, going into (also switchable) either a Marshall JMP1 or a Boogie Triaxis, then a G-Major2 and finally into the FX return of a tube combo. Never tried it with the KPA because I think it derails from the purpose of ease of use and simplification of set up, I'd rather use the internal dirtboxes in the KPA and hope that one day they'll incorporate something like the LM.

• You're welcome :)

The truth is we don't know if there's any hardware limitation in running more than one profile. I doubt it's a matter of memory and, out of my mind, am prone to believe it might rather be the processing power.
    But, since each effect slot is just a pointer to a routine that runs a model, it doesn't seem to me that it's just a matter of swapping n models with n profile routines.
    IOW, fx-wise the Profiler is more or less like any other multi-fx unit on the market. Any serious multi-profile approach would require more than just copying and pasting the main engine onto multiple (logical) locations IMO :D

• Well, I for one will still lug around a pedal board. I not only have very specific flavors I like and feel comfortable with but I have tried Multi effects processors and I hate not having direct analog access to make minute adjustments on the fly. I never racked my pedals for the same reason. The Gigrig G2 will not be abandoned with the Kemper joining the family. :)

My intent is for the Kemper to serve as an amp/cab simulator and nothing more unless in studio. That means still lugging around a pedal board but already saving from taking two amps and cabs out is HUGE not to mention having so many options in one small box.

As for other Fuzz's that I really like... The MJM London Germanium Fuzz (3 knob version), the Tone Bender Pro MK II (think Zeppelin), Analogman Sun Face BC 183, Sun Face BC 109, Sun Face NKT-275 are all stellar.