Opinions on the HH 44 Magnum

• Has any of you guys used one with the Profiler?
    I was asking myself how much headroom its input has got, since you can just plug a guitar into it...

I'd drive a 2x12" with it (16 ohm, it seems the 44M does not work on 4 ohm), wondering how loud can I play before distortion.
    It could be a nice option when I want to travel really light and do not need stage volumes.

Also, any issue with 220 V mains?

• Thanks all for your invaluable insignts :P

Indeed, the Dragoon cabs (http://www.dragoon.it/dragoon_2x12.php), apart from being exceptionally well-designed with lots of good ideas, are extremely light. A girl can raise and carry one with just one hand. Furthermore, the one I own has got neodymium magnets, i believe it weights about one-third of a CLR :)

It's the one I put on sale here some time ago, if you want to have a closer look.
    Now I'm willing to explore how it behaves with the Profiler, but I need a good-sounding and practical option (power amp) in order to make this viable. And it has to be cheap as well, I can't justify a Camplifier ATM :)

I guess the point is, it's a really expensive cab (for my standards), and in this specific social moment I won't probably be able to sell it without a strong loss, so it might make sense to see if I can make any good use of it.

The 44M, or a Crate. This is what is currently in my radar.

PS, NB @ Dada: my two CLRs sound spectacular, thank you 8)

• I've got a Magnum, it's damn loud. With the 44's volume around 2 and the Kemper's master around 3 my ears start to hurt. Only complaint is that it has no on/off button, you have to unplug it to turn it off.

I should note that the Crate, though it obviously gets even louder, doesn't sound as nice and has no volume control when you're bypassing the preamp with the Effect Return.

• Wow, this is interesting! I thought the Crate was much more linear than the HH!
    I'm talking about the Powerblock, is it that one?
    The volume control would not be an issue for me, I usually keep the Profiler close to me and at chest-height.

Also, I'm glad you confirmed that the 44M at low volume settings doesn't distort with the Profiler and sounds loud. My cones have a very high sensitivity so volume should not be an issue.
    Just to be sure, have you played clean rigs, and it sounded... clean? :D

• Hi,

I find this topic very interesting.

Would you mind if I ask one or two questions - just to understand the minds of other KPA (AXE) users better ?

You seem to be willing to pay 149,- Euro for a 44W amp with a large power supply and some hassle to carry and to set up.
    You seem to be on the edge of buying a used 150W amp which is small and technically much more complete (most of the features you might never use).

If you were to tell us your (realistic - not "oh, I want a 1000W amp for 25,- Euro") optimal offer , what would it be ?

For example :

A small power amp with 100W with no features :

- just an amp with a power cable connected to it (no external power supply)
    - two 1/4" jacks (signal + speaker)
    - no volume control
    - no power switch

for 150,- Euro.

Would that be something of interest to you ?

Tilman

• Not for me..... I think a small 44w-amp with no features and a large power supply is not really a professional solution for the KPA, I prefer:

- a better and more powerful amp like your Camplifiers (fits perfect into the KPA and offers stereo, too)
    - KPA Powerhead
    - one ore two active FRFR-cabs

A small 44w-amp + power supply + cab isn't imho a good solution for the KPA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• The Camplifier is certainly the best option IMO for europeans and if there was not this very bad Euro to CAD $ conversion + taxes and import duties to get it to Canada I would have one fitted in the back of my KPA since a long time. But I calculated that it would cost me around $675.00 CAD at the end for a Camplifier 290. 8|

• Hi,

thanks guys for the kinds words about the Camplifier ! :rolleyes:

However, it has not been my intent get kind words (this time ;) ).

My intent was this :

People are buying the Magnum, or second hand CRATE power blocks or the ISP stealth power amp for their KPAs.
    This is sad for me, as the Camplifier guy, but it is understandable ; especially for non European users.

My idea was to offer a really bare bone power amp that is just - a power amp.
    Small box + cable + two jacks for the speaker and input.

I wanted to know what the requirements for such a unit would be.
    I guess it will be :

- small
    - affordable
    - no extra power supplies
    - at least 100W

We could design such an amp-box and if we find some interest in it, it could cost less than a Camplifier.

Tilman

• People are buying the Magnum, or second hand CRATE power blocks or the ISP stealth power amp for their KPAs

To buy an expensive, high-quality product and then saving money on amplifying it doesn't make sense for me. There are so many great solutions available (Camplifier, Powerhead, CLR, Matrix Q12a, Camper 112CX ect.), I'm not sure that there's really a market for small power amps. You'll need a cab anyway and then you end up with a lot of tools instead of f.e. one KPA, one cable and one cab.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Tillman, Guenter,

well, lots of people already own a cab. For those who buy a passive Profiler a good Class D amp is a good solution IMO.

FYI, Tillman, I can buy a 44M for 120 € brand new, less for a used unit. My attention went to it because it's the cheapest power amp I've found around, and apparently several people have used/are using one with a cab and a modeller (see the thread I opened on TGP).
    My point is to save money and have a solution which allowed me to use my cab. if I had the money I'd certainly go for a Camplifier
    Personally, I don't think 44 W is too low, my 5-W Lonestar Special makes the windows rattle @ 1-2 (Master). The 44M should exhibit 22 W @ 16 ohm.

You maybe do not remember this, but I was among those who were asking for a very low wattage Camplifier back in the days. Apparently most users disagreed. But if I had an extremely simple 30-W amp fitting the rear of the Profiler which cost less than 200 € with no power supply I'd buy it immediately. I know this would not be ideal from a S/N POV, but I'd be enough with setting the volume via the Profiler's Master. I'd also be ok if it switched on/off along with the Profielr itself.
    Ideally, it would work at 4-8-16 ohm to fit all the possible cabs configurations.

To buy an expensive, high-quality product and then saving money on amplifying it doesn't make sense for me. There are so many great solutions available (Camplifier, Powerhead, CLR, Matrix Q12a, Camper 112CX ect.), I'm not sure that there's really a market for small power amps.

See, I am exactly the kind of person you're not thinking of. You're projecting yourself into the thing! :)
    I already own 2 CLRs. Sometimes I think it would be great to just go out with the Profiler, a guitar and my extra-light (14 kg) Dragoon 2x12".

Saving money makes sense as long as you get what you need. "Saving on quality" would be the real issue. If Tillman - or anyone else - is able to design a small, barebone, cheap, flat, 30-W amp retrofitting the Profiler, they would make a lot of people happy IMO: those who don't want to spend 500+ € for an amp, and already own a cab they love.
    On Accordo.it, the main musical community in Italy, a lot of people dream of the Profiler and then realize they'd have to spend another grand for a decent amp/cab.

Of course I'm definitely skipping the "guitar cab Vs. linear cab" debate in this thread.

Till, if you build me one I'll be happy to promote and show it in Italy. I have a good reputation on Accordo and elsewhere.

Seriously :)

• I'm just giving my 50 cent here... ;) owning 2 CLRs and then buying a 44w-mini-amp together with a 2x12"-cab (!) doesn't make any sense for me....

I don't know if there's a market for small and cheap poweramps, if I would like to have a lightweight KPA-solution, I would use my Powerhead and a light 1x12"-cab or a very light FRFR-solution like my AER-AG8 (60 watts / 8 kg).

By the way: my Matrix Q12a is only 16 kg (2 more than your dragon box) and you get a rock solid 1x12" FRFR-cab with 260 watts power....

• Well nightlight, as I wrote I already own a cab. I'm just looking for a way to use it with the Profiler... Really can't see how this is hard to grasp :)

Also, it seems you've never heard 30 W... LOL
    Again, my 5-W Lonestar Special pushes the decorative objects off the table ...really can't see how 30 W (which sound about 2/3 louder) with a 102 dB sensitivity couldn't do the job.
    On TGP, many members have chimed in to say they use their modeller with a
    44 Magnum and a cab, and they play with drummers. If 22 watts can do
    it, even more so should 30 linear watts on 4 ohm, even tho they would sound only marginally louder.
    I'm not certainly going on the Palalottomatica stage with it, I'll use the CLRs for that (when they convene me LOL).

I'm also not going to sell my cab in order to buy a smaller cab: I'd have a money loss much higher that what I'd spend for an amp. The cab has got neodymium cones, has been customized and dressed and costs 1600 €. By selling it, I'd lose at least 800 €: it's not worth it.

Guenter, using a Powerhead is not an option either: you know you should sell the unit and buy another one.
    I also don't find that 8 kg Vs. 14 justifies losing so much money on the cab, I can easily grasp and carry it with one hand.

I must admit I'm a bit perplex at how this thread is developing :)
    Basically, by spending 100-150 € I can use what I have. Since you guys seem so consistent in your opinions, I must certainly be missing something here. Please talk me out of the idea, if you can. But - in the spirit of a good and enlightening discussion - start from my points and show them false, please :)

NB: Germans should be the best at this, with their philosophical inheritage :thumbup:

Thank you all for your insights till now, rally appreciate it :)

• NB: Germans should be the best at this, with their philosophical inheritage :thumbup:

At least we're talking about a German product.... ;)

I understand, you already have your lightweight, very expensive cab and you don't want to spend any extra money. In this special case an inexpensive and small poweramp could make sense.

But normally guitar-players own very heavy and big cabs and they are glad if they can get rid of them... ;)

• Hi,

that is a neat looking cab you got there.

If I were you, I would install a small power amp INTO the cabinet and make it active.
    I am sure there is a metal back plate at the back side of the cab. A tech could install a power socket and a switch.
    The switch would switch the signal from the Input 1/4" socket to be either a line signal - going to the am or a speaker signal - going to the speakers.
    If you install a second 1/4" you could even skip the switch.
    You would have an active and a passive input.

You could even install the Magnum including its power supply into the cabinet.

If you know a tech, you might get away with less than 200,- for the whole project.

Tilman

• Thanks Till, this might actually be a good idea, except that I couldn't use the Profiler with other passive cabs I'd find at venues.

I'm not sure it would be a really easy task to, since the connection panel (see pictures) on the back is quite complex:

X-LINK: A complete electronic plate giving you many connection options for the greatest system flexibility: mono, stereo and phase management at your fingertips, just by inserting the jack!

Furthermore, the back panels are removable to allow the use as a half-open or open cab. The amp should be installed on a side wall I guess.

Normally guitar-players own very heavy and big cabs and they are glad if they can get rid of them... ;)

I'm sure this is true for many. OTOH, I can assure you that there are lots of players who

• do not want to buy other stuff and already own a cab;
    • are obsessed about an issue called "amp in the room", and believe that nothing sounds like a real cab. You might have heard of it :whistling: :D (ask Lance, in case :)).

:)