Happy with new KPA... but a problem!

• Hi all, I just got my new KPA, upgraded to 2.6 firmware and downloaded a few rigs to test.

Using the "headphone" out, I am very very happy with the sound of this machine. Really amazing.

The problem is, I bought the KPA for recording, and my setup is made of a Korg D3200 all-in-one machine.

If I go from "Main Output" of the KPA to the channel input of the track I want to record on the Korg, the sound is colder and clips with nasty distortion.
    I monitor things with headphones using the "headphones out" of the Korg, but it seems there is no way to avoid clipping.

I tried using the -26db pad on the recording channel input, it helps a little, but then the volume level gets so low that it almost disappears. Unuseable if I have to overdub a guitar part while all the song playing.

I tried with "clean sense", using "direct out", using "monitor out" with no success.... My guitar is a vintage Tele with low output pickups, so I'm not overloading anything (and in fact, as I stated earler, if I use headphones to hear only guitar + KPA, it sounds beautiful).

Thanks in advance for the help, I guess it's a tough one.... ;(

• Welcome!

Try connecting your KPA main out via two TRS cables to two inputs of your D3200.

The use the D3200 pads / trim knobs to adjust level - should work just fine.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Beware that the default output volume (output menu section) is rather hot if you run XLR into a device with mic-pre's. I usually back off somewhere between 10 and 20dB on the main out to avoid complaints. At the same time it may also be wise to detach the main-out from your master volume. That way you leave the mains level stable for the sound-man or recording-engineer to handle regardless of how much you mess about with the level for your monitoring speaker or headphones.

I've also tried other options such as 1/4" via DI-boxes and using hardware attenuators on the XLR-connection but concluded that staying with a reduced output and direct balanced XLR has no negative effect on signal quality.

Then there's also S/PDIF out if you have a mixer or recording-gear with digital input.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I tried going with an XLR cable from "Left Main Output" of KPA (left or right I guess it makes no difference) to channel input of the Korg but it was no different than using a regular guitar cable (maybe just a hotter signal).

I also tried reducing the main output in the output menu as suggested, the signal loses volume but still distorts badly.

• Hey Luca,
    be sure to use a line input in the Korg (or select the input to be "Line-level" as opposed to "mic level"). check the manual (p. 13): treat the Profiler as if it was a keyboard, not a guitar nor a mic.
    This should solve your issue.

If it doesn't, check whether you're actually clipping the Korg's input:is there an input LED, or a meter going into red? If not, you might as well just be clipping some other stage in the DAW.
    How is the sound when you listen the the Korg through headphones?

Of course check whether the Profiler's Output LED goes into red: if this is the case, lower the Volume (not the master) level.

BTW, you don't need an XLR cable, feel free to use an 1/4".

• Thanks Gianfranco.
    I'm not aware of different input settings on the Korg (Line level vs Mic level ?)... I regularly connect a keyboard to two inputs and it works fine, I just have to use the -26db pads but that's to be expected with keyboard levels.
    On the KPA I entered the Output Menu you told me, but the various settings didn't make a difference.

The meter on the Korg show safe values for the track I'm using as long as I keep the faders reasonably low, I think it's the input that clips so much, yes I use the -26db pads but it's not enough, and I can't reduce volume to the point of almost no sound!

The sound out of the KPA through headphones is perfect, but the sound out of the Korg through headphones is bad, I hope I described the situation.

Edited once, last by Luca79 ().

• Don't forget to check that your output includes the cab! The output can be configured to only be the amp sans cab in the output section and that would sound as you describe.

• So you're following what described @ page 175 in the manual as "The input or recorded sound is noisy or distorted", aren't you? And the CLP alert pops up unless the sound "almost disappears"?
    Are you sure the Korg's output is high enough to properly feed the monitors?
    What is the level of the Master Volume knob on the Profiler? Can you check whether the Headphones volume and the Master volume are linked in the Profiler?

Basically yes, you should treat the Profiler like a keyboard.

Last, @ page 17 I see a Guitar In (Input 1) and a Keyboard In (Inputs 1-12).
    Is maybe Input 1 different from the others? Have you tried with an input else than #1?

Also, try the Monitor out in the Profiler instead of the Main out.

Summing up, if the levels are almost unaudible otherwise the Profiler distorts, and you're not clipping the Profiler's output, you might have any of the following:

• The Profiler's main output you're using is broken;
    • the cable you're using is broken;
    • the Korg's input you're using is set incorrectly;
    • the Korg's input you're using is broken;
    • monitors level is too low.

Try the Profiler with another source (a recorder, your computer or the like), and try another cable.

And now, unless you supply some news, I've used up all my options :D

• Gianfranco, many many thanks. Grazie!

I can say that lowering the input level on my recorder solved the problem, in fact raising the headphones/monitor volumes to compensate makes things sound right.

However: in this way (2 cables go from the KPA main outputs to two recorder inputs), the recorded guitar becomes a stereo track.... and sometimes I like a simple old-school mono track.
    How can I record in mono if two cables are coming out from the KPA?

I was thinking about setting one single track on the recorder to "look" at both inputs, so that both inputs "flow" into one single track. Or maybe simply using only one of the KPA Main ouputs?