A few Kemper Questions

• Hi,

I wanted to try out the Kemper Profiling Amp (Rack Version) cause I am looking for some good Metal Tones and Rock also. Due to the fact that I want to have more optins then just buying one Amp I decided to give the Kemper a Try. I heard some tests and compared to Amp Simulations out of the Computer the Kemper really sounds so much better.

But I have a question about integrating the Kemper into my Setup. I got a lot of DI's which I need to reamp sometimes and I also always record a DI's Signal if I record an Instrument. Is there something Special I need to do or have to be able to reamp or record DI and Kemper Signal at Once?

I got 2 Setups. Here at home I have a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB with 2 Inputs and I lalso have Access to a Behringer X32 to record and reamp Stuff.

Would be nice if anybody cann tell me which possibilities there are to do that kinda stuff. I don't hink that my Focusrite has SPDIF.

Heavy Greetz

• In addition to SPDIF, and in addition to the Main and Monitor Outs, the Kemper also has a 1/4" direct out that can be configured to send a separate "analog guitar only" signal to your recording interface.

Thanks for the Answer.

Do I understand it right that I just need to plugin the Direct Out's into my Interface and just set the Kemper to split the Signal into Wet/Dry (AmpSimulation/DI).
    So I should get two Moni Signals which went into the Preamps of the Saffire Audio Interface. Would be interesting how to connect the Direct Out's into the Interface. It has combined XLR/Line Inputs.

Heavy Greetz

• If you´re talking about the 1/4" outputs and you want to record wet/Dry then you would have to use 2 cables. One for the Direct Output (DI track) and one for the Main output (wet track). This way you would get 2 mono signals. Of course you could also use S/PDIF to record both Dry/Wet at the same time aswell.

• If you´re talking about the 1/4" outputs and you want to record wet/Dry then you would have to use 2 cables. One for the Direct Output (DI track) and one for the Main output (wet track). This way you would get 2 mono signals. Of course you could also use S/PDIF to record both Dry/Wet at the same time aswell.

Yeah that's exactily what I would like to do when I record new Performances. My Interface has no SPDIF so I am fored to use the only 2 Inputs on the Front. Should I use some special cables for that or can I just take one like this:
    http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/109036.jpg

Heavy Greetz

• I think if you are reamping you defo need to use SPDIF, just remember the KPA can only be the master so what ever you clock to has to be the slave, and it's only 44.1 :)

Maybe I am missing something but what kinda signal is coming out of the SPDIF? Ist this a Digital Signal? I would just want to record the Signal from the Kemper like I would record a Microhphone or the Direct Signal from a Guitar.
    All the Interfaces I have access to are all set up to 48khz and 24 Bit.

Heavy Greetz

• Maybe I am missing something but what kinda signal is coming out of the SPDIF? Ist this a Digital Signal? I would just want to record the Signal from the Kemper like I would record a Microhphone or the Direct Signal from a Guitar.
    All the Interfaces I have access to are all set up to 48khz and 24 Bit.

Heavy Greetz

Yep SPDIF is digital you can reamp using the other analog outs especially if you wanna record at 48khz CK has stated when lots of users were asking for slave mode and 48khz that this is not gonna happen so if you want to record at 48 I'd not use SPDIF. Hope this has helped :)

• Yep SPDIF is digital you can reamp using the other analog outs especially if you wanna record at 48khz CK has stated when lots of users were asking for slave mode and 48khz that this is not gonna happen so if you want to record at 48 I'd not use SPDIF. Hope this has helped :)

Now I think to understand how it works. So I will need to use the Analog Outs from the Kemper. Hopefully I get it to work pretty fast. Cause I can't wait to try that thing out. I hope it will make the Death Metal Guitars we already recorded much much better.

Heavy Greetz

• If you plan to reamp and stack different amps, remember to set the latency to "fixed" in the System menu, so all the profiler will sound "in phase" with each other.
    You can use any signal cable you want, those for guitar will do well.
    In your interface, set the Direct input as Hi-Z (guitar), the processed signal as Line (like any keyboard/preamp).

:)

• Yeah that's exactily what I would like to do when I record new Performances. My Interface has no SPDIF so I am fored to use the only 2 Inputs on the Front. Should I use some special cables for that or can I just take one like this:
    http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/109036.jpg

Heavy Greetz

you can just use 2 standard 1/4" guitar cables :)

• Hi,

today my Kemper arrived and I started testing all the Rigs. Playing through the Kemper is a much better feeling that thru my previous Software Ampsims. Especially the Heave Palm Mutes.
    After I read some of the Manual and playing around with the Kemper I wanted to start trying and reamp some stuff. It seems that my Setup I tried didn't work very well.
    I tried it with my Saffire 6 USB which has no S/PDIF Connection. only 2 Monitor Outs and 2 Inputs (2xHi-Z and 2xXLR).

Maybe somebody can help me out to get it to work a bit better. by now I am routing the DI Signal from Pro Tools to the left Out of my Interface. That goes straight into the Return Input from the Kemper and then from the Left Master Out from the Kemper to an Input on my Interface.
    This Setup is kinda crap cause the Volume Knob on my Saffire influences the DI Signal which goes to the Kemper.

The Recording I did with a recently played Guitar that I recorded through the Black Cemetry Rig were kinda cool thou.

If there are any good tutorials out there let me know.

Heavy Greetz

• Read up the chapter in the WiKPA about reamping. (See my sig.)

Thanks for the Link. Now I found something about Reamping. As I followed another Link from the Forum I also came to a reamping Site. But I got the message it has moved. Now I found something. I got ramping working with my Stuff but I think I may need an Interface with S/PDIF. Will that make the reamping way more easier?

I also haven't found a way to record a DI and the Wet Signal at once when I put my Guitar right into the Kemper Input.

Heavy Greetz

• You don't need SPDIF to do reamping (it can be done with analog signals), but, you need more than two Outputs to make it easier.

By now I don't have another option here at home. I've got the Oppurtinity to use an X32 Mixer from Behringer in my Prectice Room. What Interface are you using?

Heavy Greetz

• To send a wet and dry signal from your 1/4" outputs at the same time:
    1) Click on output button
    2) Chain main outputs to guitar/stack

This will give you a dry sound on the left output and a wet one on the right one. Record the dry one while monitoring the wet one, or record both.

To reamp, you'll need to send the DI signal back to your Kemper through an analog cable from your interface. This is going to be difficult with your current interface if it only has two outputs unless you shift to headphones to monitor for a bit.

Also, the signal strength and how it is fed into the Kemper is going to be critical to how good it sound reamping. Keep an eye on the input and output LEDs and set distorted sense in the input section to a level where you feel you're getting the best sound. Remember to switch the main outputs in the output section to Master Stereo.

• Hi,

the 1/4" Outputs are the One's under Main Output right? I have tried that with all Settings I have under Main Output in the Output Source Menu. Git+Processing and Git Studio seem to give me a clean DI Signal on both Outputs.Stack seems to be the processed Signal. All other options except Delay/Reverb wet sounds kinda the same to me. But nothing of them gives me A DI on one Side and the processed Sound on the other.
    I think I missed some setting.

Heavy Greetz

• By now I don't have another option here at home. I've got the Oppurtinity to use an X32 Mixer from Behringer in my Prectice Room. What Interface are you using?

Heavy Greetz

I use a DIGI 002 console to record, but I don't record dry guitar parts. I prefer to record the main audio output from the Kemper. If I want to double a part, or change the sound of it, I play it again, and mix the tracks together.

I suggest using your 2X2 audio interface, and recording the Kemper main audio tracks directly into it. To me, reamping is one more thing that can get in the way of completing a song. :)