Kemper + Mbox Pro

• Hey all,

I've been looking through some threads, but haven't really found an overwhelming consensus as to how people like pulling the Kemper into their DAWs for production.

Some people like using the XLR outs, others like using S/PDIF. I have an Mbox Pro 3, so I have the option of either or - I'm curious what you guys would recommend for the greatest fidelity =)

Thanks!

• You won't see overwhelming consensus, because there is no definitive advantage to one or the other method.

Technically, SPDIF is an exact copy, so it would be 100% accurate, but the XLRs would likely be 99.999%

Either method will give you better much fidelity than a microphone in front of a guitar cabinet (with the Kemper, there is no amp hiss, no cabinet rattles, no mic distortion, etc)

• You can use anyone of the outputs with comparable results, as paults said. I find the analog 1/4s give a bit more grit to the signal, probably on account of my cables, and other users have reported similar findings. The XLR outputs are a bit hotter than the regular 1/4" outputs, so you should lower the level before it hits your interface for good results. As far as SPDIF, it's probably the neatest solution, since it delivers a digital signal without additional AD/DA conversion, so some people prefer it when recording. The only thing to consider is that you will have to record at 44.1 khz when using SPDIF with the Kemper as master, something quite a few users have a grouse about, but there's unlikely to be any change anytime in the foreseeable future.

At the end of the day, there's no right and wrong way to record. Depending on your interface, you could use one of these methods or all of them. For example, you could record the wet output using the master output simultaneously while recording a dry signal on one of the SPDIF channels, or perhaps the DI signal on the monitor out and wet/dry signals on the SPDIF and master outputs, etc.

As far as the interface, it's a definite advantage to have more I/O options, but you should also check that it has stable drivers and there aren't too many user complaints. For example, some firewire interfaces require a specific chipset to function the right way. Take all this into consideration before making a decision.

• yeah i think so too,but maybe its just in my mind cos it must be a very fractional amount.

It's definitely there, especially when you're monitoring. Something to do with the DA conversion maybe, if not the cables? When it's in the DAW, I think I'd be hardpressed to say a signal is SPDIF or the other is from 1/4". Just a fraction, you're right.

• I use Kemper with Mbox Pro 3 too. I never had problem with both SPDIF or Analog OUT.
    I regularly have connected Kemper and PC with both; in general I use the Analog for the final recording/reamping and SPDIF for the dry signal to be reamped after.
    The differences in sound are impossible to detect to my ears and be careful that different volumes can give you wrong impression... so, just take into consideration that SPDIF is 6 db under the Analog OUT. In other words when you set Main Out to -6db (7,5/10 on the master volume) the volume is the same of the SPDIF set to maximum.