Shoulder strap failure...

• Hey guys,

I am so pis*ed off tonight... My leather shoulder strap failed tonight on the neck side of my Tokai 335 replica and it fell almost 4 feet straight on the floor while I was tuning and couldn't react fast enough to prevent it from falling its whole way down... Some damage, of course, on one side of the the very end of where the tuning pegs are located. The side of the G string.

Paint and lacker gone and a small wood dent... ;(

Should have installed those quick snap buttons that hold the strap holes better... Stupid me... :S

• sounds like were lucky, actually.
    I once dropped my (non-reissue) SG2000 like this and the fretboard came off for the first couple of frets together with some minor headstock breakage...

...but a good luthier fixed the issue without problems (whew...)

lesson learned the hard way ;)

• This happened to one of my les pauls even though i had strap locks, it was some kind of schaller copy
    that didnt lock deep enough and the "U" was upside down in the strap at the time, i was lucky to catch it a few inches off the floor.
    Since then i have dunlop strap locks on all my guitars and hasnt failed yet.

• Fortunately never had this happen, until yesterday when I was about to mount Schaller strap locks to my new Squier Tele Thinline 72.
    It fell but I was fast enough to catch it. Phew!
    Apart of that I mount strap locks to all my guitars, and I have found that the Thomann copies do a good job as well.

• Glad I wasn't this guy…..epic fail!
    (go to 1:10)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• never had this happen, until yesterday when I was about to mount Schaller strap locks to my new Squier Tele Thinline 72.

It fell but I was fast enough to catch it. Phew!

Apart of that I mount strap locks to all my guitars, and I have found that the Thomann copies do a good job as well.

Harley Benton's ? Nope, here is what I could do with them:

External Content
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YTo-SKxNY

Edited once, last by lef38 ().

• That's bad.
    I just checked and can't do this with mine.

• Schaller strap locks

Ouch! I've had those original Shallers from Fender fail on me more than once. The mechanism may slip as the video above shows. The Schallers would be near the bottom of my list of straplock alternatives. I use the Marvell Security Straplock system on most of my electrics. Ernie Balls straplock system and Dunlops straplocks are also good. On my acoustics I use the Loxx straplock system.

• Sorry to hear. :(

Should be no problem for a good tech to repair to 100% condition...

• How can these rotate when properly fixed? I have never had that sort of problem for the last > 20 years on any Guitar I own

Well, in my case i fastened the nut tight with thread lock, but with time my thick leather strap got compressed and the "U" could begin to rotate, when it did i dropped the guitar.
    Had i known the lock could fail if the "U" was upside down i would have checked it with every use.

The dunlop is not direction sensitive so i feel there is less that can go wrong with it, but i dont think any strap lock is 100% safe.

• Yes, with leather and other strap materials the nut can surely loosen over time, I've noticed this as well.
    So certainly it is wise to tighten the nut from time to time.
    But even with a rotating nut I never had the grip fail on one of my locks, ever.
    I wonder if this is a bad batch?

• I've not had straps fail since getting locks and also I started using Buffalo leather or synthetic. (I highly recommend Lakota Sioux made Buffalo 3" straps for LPs or heavy guitars, softer than leather, but tough material)

But I DID have a soft Fender guitar cover strap metal break and it fell and my MIM Fender looked like a Meat Cleaver hit the end (fell on asphalt)

Not cool. I ended up giving it away to a kid who now plays better than me, so it was worth it!

• I had a Schaller let go on one of my Fender strats many years ago. I've never used those again. I'm trying the Loxx units now and thus far, no failures. I've used the EBMM locks previously and had a couple of them fail.