Use of Reverb For Live Performances

• OK, all you highly experienced live performers, here's a question. Do you use reverb at all in your live work? If yes, do you adjust it differently live vs studio? From a KPA perspective, how do you configure your rigs to account for any differences?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I don't use the reverb on the KPA at all, and probably never will, unless they come up with a spring reverb.

For shows with my surf band, I use a pedal for spring. Otherwise I only use a bit of delay on the odd solo here and there. If the sound required reverb, I'd leave it up to FOH, as for me the room determines the amount needed (if any).

Cheers,
    Sam

• For me it's like this, it all depends on how "live" the room is when full of people which, lets be honest will be done by the front of house peeps to sort in the mix out front Also a general rule is the more reverb / delay you use the more the guitar will be pushed to the back of the mix, so I feel for live work a general rule is less is more unless of course the music has a lot of space then the reverb / delay would have more room to breath and shine through.
    Thats my take on it anyhow :)

• I haven't played many live gigs since picking up the guitar again after a long period of inactivity. For those I have, I've mostly used delay, and not reverb. However, I recently began playing in my church (along with piano, acoustic guitar, and some percussion), and I'm finding that some reverb helps to fill the sound out a bit. This is a very specialized situation, where my mission is just that - fill out the sound, and take the load off of the piano. So, my question was more in the vein of getting ideas on how I might use it for my scenario. Currently, I'm doing almost no solo work, just filling in around the chunka chunka of the acoustic guitar.

• I always use reverb, and it's locked in fact. MY rule of thumb (unless I need some "special fx") is to set quite a long rev. time, and set the mix so that I can barely hear it when I play aloe, but if I switch it off I feel a difference.
    Pretty sure this setting doesn't collide with any mixing board or venue :)

PS: I've never be able to stand a guitar sound with no ambience at all. And no, the actual room is not enough :D

• Since the ensemble you are describing is not a loud format rock band, there is not much of a concern about being pushed back into the mix, so adding some reverb sounds like a great idea to me :)

For recording, I usually add reverb in the mix. It can put the instruments into a "common space", as if the musicians were all recording in the same room.

I have some live sounds using reverb as a special effect, especially for side gigs, and, they are very wet sounding

My main live sounds have much more delay than reverb, but, there is just enough reverb to fill in a little space for outdoor gigs. It is not enough reverb to make my guitar sound distant in the mains (and the sound engineer has more reverb if it seems too dry) - it is to prevent the guitar from sounding dry to me onstage. It isn't loud enough for me to hear, but it is loud enough to feel.

• So, my question was more in the vein of getting ideas on how I might use it for my scenario. Currently, I'm doing almost no solo work, just filling in around the chunka chunka of the acoustic guitar.

When I try to fill the space along with the piano and acoustic I use some reverb (slight), delay (changes pending Hillsong/U2ish, Brewster, Tomlin etc.) and even some chorus (adds Rush, Boston fullness). I have to make sure I can cover rhythm and lead stuff if the acoustic guitar lays back too much. In our auditorium it is consistent so I've just spent time adjusting and recording open air with my DR40 so the sound is what I want. Out at other places it gets adjusted slightly based on size and configuration.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

Edited once, last by bshaw92 ().

• I was going to mention Chorus, too, but I thought it might only be used by people who play a lot of '80s music ;)

Paul, I'm actually using your AC15 rig with chorus, delay, and reverb for the church stuff. However, I found that I had to take down the reverb quite a bit from what I used in my home studio. I get a lot of compliments on the sound - but then, they were used to just piano and acoustic guitar before 8)

• Paul, I'm actually using your AC15 rig with chorus, delay, and reverb for the church stuff. However, I found that I had to take down the reverb quite a bit from what I used in my home studio. I get a lot of compliments on the sound - but then, they were used to just piano and acoustic guitar before

LOL!

That rig is a modified version of AC15H1TVL3 (on the Rig Exchange).

• LOL!

That rig is a modified version of AC15H1TVL3 (on the Rig Exchange).

Actually, I don't have the chorus on - only using compressor, vibrato, delay, and reverb. I love the sound, and I've hardly tweaked it from your settings :love: