New profiling (Better cab separation)

• If you do not use a Guitar cabinet, there is no Direct benefit.

I'm also still kinda fuzzy on the exact (supposed) functioning of this cab separation thing. I suspect I will remain so for some time to come. :rolleyes:

So you're saying that if I use the "new, 3.0" profile of an AC30, it will only sound "right" through an actual cab with alnico blue (or a greenback) in there?

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Guys

Stop stressing about the science of firmware 3.0.

Plug any Profile into any Cabinet using a Poweramp and it sounds fantastic.
    Even the current Profiling sounds fantastic into a Poweramp/Cab, it will sound even better with the new Firmware 3.0.

Trust CK.

• I dont have powered Kemper :D but... i made today some DI profile "old way" and new DI with FW 2.7.4 of my ENGL Savage - conclusion from my friend:

to me it seems that the accuracy of di profiles is the same between old and newbut when having engage new mode the old profile behave like it was new.. no cab blockso old profile with cab on is same as new profile with cab off. for the new profiling method the savage was still to bright

Stay Metal!

• "Still too bright"

Change the amp settings so it's not so bright and then make a new Profile. :)

true... but... presense at 12 o clock and treble on 13... what with merged profiles with this setting? in the mix this profile sound too dark.. but for live use its too bright :D waiting for answer ;)

Stay Metal!

• I'm also still kinda fuzzy on the exact (supposed) functioning of this cab separation thing. I suspect I will remain so for some time to come. :rolleyes:

So you're saying that if I use the "new, 3.0" profile of an AC30, it will only sound "right" through an actual cab with alnico blue (or a greenback) in there?

If you plug a Vox AC30 head into a Marshall 4-12" V30 cabinet, it will sound different than an open back 1-10" Alnico Blue cabinet. Both may be good sounds, though :)

The new 3.0 Direct Profiles are expected to minimize the tonal influence from the original cabinet, and eliminate any microphone influence (because no mic is used to make a Direct Profile). When a Direct Profile is played through a guitar cabinet, the sound of the guitar cabinet used will have an influence on the final sound, just like it would with the original amp.

For people who do not use guitar cabinets, the current-style profiles (which are going to be called Studio Profiles), and the new 3.0 Merged Profiles will continue to sound like the original mic'ed sound of the amps through FRFR speakers and studio monitors.

• I dont have powered Kemper :D but... i made today some DI profile "old way" and new DI with FW 2.7.4 of my ENGL Savage - conclusion from my friend:

Stay Metal!

sinmix, you're doing your DI profiling in FW 2.7.4? I know the option to enable it is in that FW, but in the 2.8 document, it says "Also don’t use these hidden capabilities in other recent firmware revisions. Resulting Profiles might cause compatibility issues in current firmware." There could be some algorithmic differences between 2.7.4 and 2.8+..This might be part of why you're getting results that aren't as accurate as you'd like? And also, when FW 3.0 comes, you might find all these profiles you're making with 2.7.4 won't work correctly as well.
    Just guessing on this, but I was curious about DI profiling with 2.7.4 as well, and decided not to try it after reading the documentation...

• The new 3.0 Direct Profiles are expected to minimize the tonal influence from the original cabinet, and eliminate any microphone influence (because no mic is used to make a Direct Profile).

True! But IMO how you set amps knobs deppend on mic pos :D soo i dont like on axiss mic pos - too much fizz for me, so i set different amp knobs (treble, presence) and then what? i still have the same DI profile sounding good with other cabinets taken from merged profiles? IMO NO ;) soo i still need 1 good profile for live use and another for recording :D

Stay Metal!

• True! But IMO how you set amps knobs deppend on mix pos :D soo i dont like on axiss mic pos - too much fizz for me, so i set different amp knobs (treble, presence) and then what? i still have the same DI profile sounding good with other cabinets taken from merged profiles? IMO NO ;) soo i still need 1 good profile for live use and another for recording :D

Stay Metal!

agree - but you can add presence and treble in the KPA amp section for merged cab.

After last of your post (about some amp you compare )i've noticed lack of low cab tone in the kemper. This was a low frequency late response of the cab. The KPA cut this part off i think.
    Maybe the profiler algorithm take some fixed time of the response - but is too short for some of the cabs response for low frequencies.

• agree - but you can add presence and treble in the KPA amp section for merged cab.

Fuck Kemper AMP section - i never touched eq in Kemper!!! If i have good Amp mic pos etc... all what i need its 100% copy of Real amp saved in Kemper profile. True when i made mix i use eq - nothing new... For Me Kemper can have only two buttons "Create profile" and "Save profile" :D

Stay Metal!

• True - KPA amps eq section is not the same like in original amp. Sag and bias i think are also digital emulation of this effects in real amp( they are not profiled part). So if you going to get the sound as close as it's possible better to take best sounding amp profile then tweaking it later. But is good to have this option.

• True! But IMO how you set amps knobs deppend on mic pos :D soo i dont like on axiss mic pos - too much fizz for me, so i set different amp knobs (treble, presence) and then what? i still have the same DI profile sounding good with other cabinets taken from merged profiles? IMO NO ;) soo i still need 1 good profile for live use and another for recording :D

Stay Metal!

I think it is entirely possible to make Studio/Direct Merged profiles that sound equally great in the studio and with a cabinet.

It may just take a different approach to making them:

Guitarists will want the Direct Profiles to instantly sound great on stage / at home, with that "in the room" sound.

Most guitarists have the EQ set on their amp to get a great "in the room" sound. The amp, and how it responds to their playing is their instrument, just like the guitar.

Getting the amp to sound great in the room (not through studio monitors), and creating a Direct Profile of that sound, will give people what they want when they use a guitar cabinet.

When making the Studio profile, those "in the room" EQ settings would still remain the same on the amp. I'm with you - I HATE fizz. Microphone selection and placement can be used to eliminate it. Then, the Studio Profile is made.

When they are Merged, one profile can be used used equally well for recording or with a guitar cabinet.

• "still to bright" is not possible...regular profiles are usally connected to real cab to dark..like covered with something. They sound good yes but they need some tweaking...the new DI profiles (if properly made) behave and sound exactly like the real amp.

i cant stand that discussion anymore..i posted many samples to prove

and sorry..some people still use tubepoweramps with the kemper and wonder why it does not sound like it has to sound or think "it sounds better with"

• Sinmix does have a point though. Would the same tone you use on a recording be what you use live?

My guess is, with all the studio wizardry that goes into making something sit in the mix, a recording tone wouldn't cut it live and vice versa.

That said, the new direct profiling improves performance with a real cabinet by eliminating the cabinet portion of a profile. I can see that as being a huge benefit to those I-need-pants-flapping guys.

• In theory, the new method improves things also for those, like me, who don't use real cab but only headphones. For example the are some beautiful vintage marshall's that i would like to play with different/modern cabs and the new method seems to make it possible without having the profile/head involved into the sound of the cab

• In theory, the new method improves things also for those, like me, who don't use real cab but only headphones. For example the are some beautiful vintage marshall's that i would like to play with different/modern cabs and the new method seems to make it possible without having the profile/head involved into the sound of the cab

if you want profile some vintage Combo - without separate loudspeaker - it will be a problem :D

Stay Metal!