Tips on recording Kemper??

• I've tried my Kemper straight into the front of my Mbox and it doesn't sound anything like the profile through my active pa speakers etc or the same studio monitors when they are plugged direct into the back of the Kemper.

I've tried the LL Surgery profile which usually sounds really full through headphones and pa speakers etc, but through my interface into pro tools it sounds really harsh and the eq is hard to dial in. really toppy and the mid range doesn't sound good.

Is it normal to have to play about so much with the same profile between pa/headphone and use when recording?

• Normally this should sound ok without doing to much - if the profile sounds good on a frfr speaker.

Maybe check the output level (e.g. roll the volume on the kemper a bit back and check the rec quality).

If I record I usually just use an eq post recording and do a low-cut in the mix (cut everything below 80 hz).

I used the LL German Grease profile in this recording:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm going to be honest.

I've just realised I was using one of my templates in Pro tools which has an amp sim already loaded on the channel, hence it sounding strange! Lol

I need an early night ha ha

It sounds spot on now.

• He he.... great that you figured that out.

Maybe just make a template that you use in your DAW.

I for example have some templates that I use for certain types of music. For Metal for example with certain EQ´s already on the guitar tracks panned left and right for the rythm section and also my EZ Drummer inserted with the right kit loaded.

This saves time and prevents you from failing (-8

• Lol! No need to be embarassed. ;)

• Sorry to hijack but I have had a similar problem...just thought I'd try runnign through my PC but it sounds harsh.

First question - what level should I use, line level ( I get virtually no sound), mike or instrument level ? I have the output set to around -20db.

Could it be my interface ( a Novation Nio) as I normally use on board sounds ???

• HEH!! Just wait until you spend an hour troubleshooting why there's no sound, only to realize your guitar is plugged into the headphone jack ;)

• Sorry to hijack but I have had a similar problem...just thought I'd try runnign through my PC but it sounds harsh.First question - what level should I use, line level ( I get virtually no sound), mike or instrument level ? I have the output set to around -20db.Could it be my interface ( a Novation Nio) as I normally use on board sounds ???

You should be using line level, since that's the signal being output by the Kemper. If you're not getting any sound, check the output level for the output pair you're using. Also, try adjusting master volume and see if you get a better signal. Remember, the sound may be low in volume if you're speakers are set to output that much; what matters is the strength of the signal being received by your DAW. Harshness from the KPA to me indicates that your signal is clipping, it's usually very smooth.

• That's what I thought Nightlight but I get no sound and then crank everything and horrible crackling sound so I assumed that wasn't the right setting.

I get sound at mike level which gain wise seems about right but sond is a bit harsh which suggests something isn't right.

If you rememeber I had some issues going through a PA which was a dodgy channel

Perhaps I do have a fault ???

What is the best way to check this out - i.e. a control test.

• Yes, I do remember the issues you were having with your mixer. That turned out to be a bad channel, but I'm a bit wary about saying the same thing about the interface. The harshness of sound indicates problems with gain staging: remember, the volume output from your speakers is separate from the level of the input from your Kemper. I imagine that you are sending a loud enough signal, but by trying to amplify it further, you are introducing additional gain, which is resulting in clipping. If you want volume, you have to amplify your speakers, not the signal being sent from the Kemper. '

Think of it like a mixer. There's a level going into the mixer. You can analyse this level by looking at the LED strip indicating the level of a signal, even if there is no volume coming. Then you raise the volume of that channel, which results in sound going to the speakers. But if you raise this beyond a point, you will find that the clipping indicator is flashing, so you need to back that down. Now, to raise volume, you have to increase the master output on your mixer, which is solely for increasing volume on the speaker, rather than increasing the level of the input signal.

Switch back to line level and do a simple recording. Look at the waveform that is created in your DAW. Is it puny, or is it beefy?

• Hi Nightlight - that's the point...on line level...no level. No signal etc.

I have checked the volumes and I think they are correct. I have unlinked the monitor and master volume and have the monitor volume set to -20db. turning that up makes virtually no difference.

I have used the interface many times with no major problems although not the line level input.

I need a way to find out how to test it.

This sounds daft but on the mixer, the channel didn't work after I used it. My line level at home not doesn't work - is it possible to fry them ??

I don't understand because this should be plug and play....

Anyone live near Derby UK ?? The bass player in our band is a sound engineer so I will try to get some real time with the PA.

Help!

• It sounds decidedly dodgy. Could the problem be with your Kemper? I'm assuming you rectified the problem with the mixer, so there is definitely sound output, right?