letting of steam - serial numbers on the bottom of the rack!

• Sorry I have to let off some steam here. I exchanged my original unit some time ago. So I registered my new unit afterwards. I get an email today to say that the new owner of my original (faulty) unit has requested that the serial is transferred into their name. Fair enough, but instead of clarifying anything with me Kemper deleted my registration details from my account completely so I have no registered products at all.

So I have had to re-register my current unit just now. Which makes me realise why I hate it when manufacturers put serial numbers on the bottom of their rack products! Put the serial number on the rear so I can get to it easily!

Apologies again I am just venting!! :S

• It's always a good idea to write your serial number down just to have it in case it gets stolen. I have a spreadsheet where I write all registration information and keep it in the iCloud so I can reference it from anywhere.

It recently came in handy when I re-did my Macbook from scratch and had to reauthorize a bunch of studio software. I had all the Auth numbers handy.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes, the location is inconvenient, but it could be a reminder to get more organized in case of disaster. Even an insured disaster (home fire, auto accident were things get destroyed or stolen), you have all the products listed that you own, so you can begin to make claims.

When I did the Mac, I found a bunch of things I did NOT put into the spreadsheet, so I made sure I was thorough for the "next" time.

• That's why manuals should be read beforehand: to learn everything about how to get the best out of your device :)

Even with a quick (but serious) reading, you'll at least remember that you've read something about what you're inquiring\needing.

This is my approach, anyway :D

• I take your point but I did have a read of the manual but it wasn't something that caught my eye to be honest. I was focused on the main functions of the unit.

But a sticker on the back of the unit is always useful especially as when someone wants support usually they need the serial number. After all not everyone registers their unit in advance. And if your Kemper is dead you are not going to be able to go in that menu are you? ;)

• Sorry I have to let off some steam here. I exchanged my original unit some time ago. So I registered my new unit afterwards. I get an email today to say that the new owner of my original (faulty) unit has requested that the serial is transferred into their name. Fair enough, but instead of clarifying anything with me Kemper deleted my registration details from my account completely so I have no registered products at all.

So I have had to re-register my current unit just now. Which makes me realise why I hate it when manufacturers put serial numbers on the bottom of their rack products! Put the serial number on the rear so I can get to it easily!

Apologies again I am just venting!! :S

surely kemper would not remove you as a registered user without your authority otherwise it would make it easier for thieves to claim your unit as theirs? (Unless i've misread your original post?)

• A sticker on the back of the unit is always useful especially as when someone wants support usually they need the serial number. After all not everyone registers their unit in advance. And if your Kemper is dead you are not going to be able to go in that menu are you? ;)

Oh, do not take me wrong, I agree with you and the two things are somehow unrelated :)

• My opinion is that Kemper provides a serial number. After that, it's up to the user to record & register it.

In this digital age, there are many ways to easily keep such things organized for purposes of warranty or insurance recovery.

These are some fundamental things that help:
    1) Willpower to keep good records
    2) Organizationals skills (Folder naming, sorting)
    3) Smart Phone
    4) Use of digital mediums like iCloud backup storage for proof of ownership. (i.e. Amazon's Prime lets you store pictures indefinitely, Dropbox lets you have so much free storage and the ability to earn more)

You can also use a spreadsheet of info backup up on the web.

I use my iPhone to take pictures of serial numbers and gear AND keep a spreadsheet of ownership, serial numbers, registration info, pictures and cots. I organize pictures on Dropbox into folders. From these folders I can share the gear I own to family/friends or upload them to Digital services that showcase pictures for forum display (i.e. photobucket) I also have insurance. Homeownership requires it unless you own your home outright. Car insurance often covers car damage or theft of gear if you have comprehensive coverage. But if one lives in an apartment AND can afford thousands of dollars of gear, insurance is not optional or unaffordable.

If this all sounds like Dad giving advice, it comes from personal experience. Theft, car accidents, and a tornado throwing 3 trees into my house (thank you Fate!)

I do know that as unforgiving as my post here sounds, it's more forgiving than Insurance companies are when you are trying to recover your lost gears costs. As well as anything involving manufacturer's warranties.

• surely kemper would not remove you as a registered user without your authority otherwise it would make it easier for thieves to claim your unit as theirs? (Unless i've misread your original post?)

No you are correct - they removed both registrations without authority (at least according to my online log in where the registrations had vanished) - including my current one.

• Firstly, I think it is important to point out that my original post was a slightly tongue in cheek fists in the air thing about the sense in putting a serial number on the base of a rack (when it is quite easy to put it on the rear). Along with the original annoyance of having my registrations removed without anyone checking with me first. I still stand by that these are both annoyances. Not world ending. But my post was a bit 'man shouts at the sky' anyway.

Secondly, you make very good points about keeping records. But I am not talking about insurance claims. And with respect you don't need a serial number for that. An insurer should accept a store receipt for an item or at the very least a photo. I take photos of all my gear and I also keep original receipts.

My point, as originally stated, was purely a shout at the sky for a minor annoyance - this is not to say I don't advocate record keeping or reading or manuals or a million other sins which I am sure I have committed ;)