Expression Pedal Review Thread - please post your reviews here :)

• In some situations, i just like to use the wha in a fixed position. In this case, it is easier to use a switch to turn on or off the wha. Otherwise, i prefer the auto-off when the wha do not move

+1
    I have it set to Wah Off At Stop on the FCB, but I miss the fixed-position-wah-filtery-sound à la Joe Satriani sometimes.

Cheers,
    Sam

• You can set the pedal to be flat at toe, or slightly depressed at that position. I have mine set up in standing position, which means it is a little depressed, but I don't find it uncomfortable, it's actually really interesting to be able to do that with a pedal. You could set it up in seating position, which means it is absolutely flat at toe.

It's a good idea to disengage the fortissimo function if you're using the controller for volume, because it will push it up from zero position.

But for pedal effects? It is one of the coolest things to have. For example, as mentioned above, I have mine setup with a whammy effect. I set the toe position to +12 and the heel to -10. The fortissimo spring is jacked up all the way to 10 degrees. Now, when my pedal is at middle (maxed out spring makes the pedal flat), it is centred in between the two positions of the pitch effect. So if I go up, pitch effect is in reverse and full toe makes it go up +12 steps. And it's super easy to find centre again, just depress to spring (you'll feel the resistance) and stop there. This would be virtually impossible with a whammy of large throw, because you would have a lot of difficulty finding dead centre between 22 steps.

That little spring is amazing. It's like adding a bit of flutter to wah or whammy, I like it a lot. Unfortunately, I only have one pedal, so I disengaged volume from the rig menu (can rely on my guitar controls). But I plan to get another, because you can screw them together to make a mini pedal board without a base plate.

Umm, I made a video of the fortissimo function, but it isn't great. Let me know if you want me to upload it so you can check it out. I can demo the seating position as well. ^^

• Thank you @sambrox and @nightlight, that was very enlightening.

That spring does sound like a lot of fun! I would probably use two pedals, one for volume with the spring set to zero and in "seated" position so it maxes out to horizontal, the other for modulation effects with the spring set so that the toe position goes a little further but bounces back to horizontal.

Your explanation was very helpful so I think I can picture it already without the video (although if you find the time to upload it I sure would watch it). :D

• Here you go. Wasn't sure how to embed the video and the damn thing is sideways (stupid phone camera), but you should get a good idea of how the fortissimo function works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpP0AcYETyw

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

+1 if you guys like my "skirt" lol ^^

EDIT: Well, whaddya know. It embedded.

• Hahahaha nice! @nightlight

Got my Mission EP1-KP yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it with my KPA yet, but it feels solidly built and has a nice shade of green! Kinda makes me wish I'd gotten around to modding a Crybaby first, though, as it seems like that's exactly what Mission have done, hahaha!

Cheers,
    Sam

• Nice night gown :)

• Here you go. Wasn't sure how to embed the video and the damn thing is sideways (stupid phone camera), but you should get a good idea of how the fortissimo function works.

+1 if you guys like my "skirt" lol ^^

EDIT: Well, whaddya know. It embedded.

Excellent video man, not just for the fortissimo function but also to see the full sweep of the pedal. Thanks for uploading!

PS. -- I too have, in a distant past, committed the sin of the sideways phone camera video... :D

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• as explained ... i did the modification on my old crybaby, and it works like a charm. But i'm still waiting for the stomp foot push-button to replace the actual switch. As soon as i receive it, i will solder the wire a test it.

This solution is FAAAAR better than my FCB1010 pedal and my roland EV-5

For the push-button, i ordered this : http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/SP…ain_0&hash=item3ccb79f7dd

So, I modified an old cry baby and it's working!
    I have two doubts, I hope that someone in this amazing forum can help me :)

1) I didn't put the 1KOhm resistor for now and it's working very good (smooth and precise)... why should I put the resistor... what problem can I have without it?

2) on the heel position the rubber is a bit elastic so, after calibrating the pedal pressing the init button, if I press more on the heel the KPA assumes the new value as zero and is not precise anymore. I think the pedal is continuously calibrating! Is there a way to ignore those values below zero (given by the rubber pressed) and fix the zero position where I want it?

Thank you in advance,
    Carlo

• 1) I didn't put the 1KOhm resistor for now and it's working very good (smooth and precise)... why should I put the resistor... what problem can I have without it?

Here's a good explanation:

"But what happens if the potentiometer fails for some reason (age, poor quality, dirty, etc.)? If the wiper (which is the rotating part of the component and probably most prone to failure) shorts out, it will let the full amount of signal through. By attaching a resistor, we are building in a “fail-safe.” This ensures that the circuit is never completely open—there will always be some resistive path in case the wiper goes south."
    http://beavisaudio.com/techpages/Pots/

• Thank you, I put the resistor as suggested :thumbup:

What about the second problem?
    I'd like to calibrate my pedal and then "freeze" the calibration to avoid a wrong heel point... it's not a real problem with the volume or wha, but with whammy (and other effects like that) it can make a big difference because I can't return to zero precisely.
    Am I doing something wrong? If not I'll open a feature request about it... or I'll cut the rubber under the pedal ?(

• The rubber is useful for the switch ! It prevent to switch each time you push the pedal (you need to press hard to press the rubber to achieve the "switch click").

Here's a good explanation:

"But what happens if the potentiometer fails for some reason (age, poor quality, dirty, etc.)? If the wiper (which is the rotating part of the component and probably most prone to failure) shorts out, it will let the full amount of signal through. By attaching a resistor, we are building in a “fail-safe.” This ensures that the circuit is never completely open—there will always be some resistive path in case the wiper goes south."
    http://beavisaudio.com/techpages/Pots/

Because the kemper is able to handle either expression pedals or dual switches (which are basically a short circuit), the "protection" resistor is not useful (maybe someone from kemper could confirm this)

• Remove the Rubber - it is the reason the pedal does not have a precise "zero point".

Those rubber pads are common for wah pedals - they are not a good thing for volume/expression pedals. Some wah pedals also have a rubber pad at the toe position. If someone is converting one of those to an expression pedal, it sgould be removed, too.

If someone is interested: removing completely the rubber is not the best solution... cutting approx 1mm of rubber is better. No metal-against-metal noise and the zero position now is really precise :)