Anyone still rocking the stock profile "The Chief".? EDIT: added, 65 amps london tremdgrit R44

• Man, everytime I pull up this profile after months of not playing it and crank it up through my yamaha DXR 12's, I sometimes just sit and wonder why I don't just use this profile exclusively! It is the "clean' profile, but I believe the gain is set to about 3.4, and it has the perfect amount of breakup. I put michael britts compressor settings up front, delay to taste, add a TS to switch on for higher gain parts (drive about 2.0, tone to taste, volume at unity/noon) and I swear this is still one of the best tones to ever come out of the KPA. I cranked up the mids a bit too, but other than that, no tweaking. This profile loud is almost exactly my ideal tone, and still the best matchless profile out there in my opinion, although I very much love Michael Britts HC30 profiles as well. This is the perfect breakup tone for me, just a great profile for those that may have overlooked it (easy to do) or just immediately deleted it, a true gem I think.

*Edit*

I would also like to add the 65 amps London profile, called tremdrive I believe. This profile was created with an R44, I wish there was more info about this. Was this an AEA R44, does anyone know? This profile has absolute STUNNING clarity and top end chime, something the R44 is known for, and it shines on this. I add a pure boost up front and a compressor and this profile with my tele has almost unmatched clarity and chime, I am not sure I can think of another profile that has this much clarity right off the bat, atleast to me with my american Tele. This profiled immediately went on my pedalboard.

To me this is what is great about the kemper, you can often go back to older profiles or other profiles that may not have been your style, but as you as a player change and your tastes change, it is great to revisit profiles you once turned your back on. Or, in my case, you become more accustomed to what actually works and what tones work live or in the studio for you after listening for sometime on FRFR, or studio monitors, FOH mixes etc.

I urge everyone to try this profile as well, and what is more, the CAB on this profile (tremdrive) is one of maybe 5 cabs I have actually saved in the kemper. I am generally not a fan of swapping cabs (this could change with coming firmware however), but this cab really has something special about it. What I mean is, it is transparent enough that it lets the amp you are pairing the cab with shine through, verses where most cab swaps generally end up sounding almost the same as the original profile the cab is with. For some reason, I don't feel this is the case. I locked this cabinet and scrolled through some of my favorite profiles and couldn't believe how transparent the cabinet actually was. One of my favorite profiles is ands 58 pro from the fantastic pack. sure enough, this cab sounded like a real 58 pro micd through this cabinet with an R44, or as close as I think it would sound anyways. Quite impressive. I couldn't find a bad sounding profile with this cab attached. I believe it is a matchless 2x12 cab, I do not remember the speakers though. Anyways give it a shot, I am curious to see if anyone else feels the same as I do about the cab. The R44 is an extremely high end ribbon mic, and the clarity once again is just fantastic, I think a lot of people will enjoy this.

• Yeah, I use it sometimes (still the Morgan AC 20 is my favourite), and your sentiments are spot on.

I was looking at the Mesa Mini, and wanted a lunchbox amp, i could match with my CAE 2x12 cab. but it was to many switches and it could not deliver loud enaugh cleans.. So i was testing the Kemper against my will, and the guy at the shop loaded Morgan AC20, and i was sold! Its my favourite for breakupsounds and light distortions too! I wish all rigs was as dynamic as the Morgan AC20!!

• *Edit*

I would also like to add the 65 amps London profile, called tremdrive I believe. This profile was created with an R44, I wish there was more info about this. Was this an AEA R44, does anyone know? This profile has absolute STUNNING clarity and top end chime, something the R44 is known for, and it shines on this. I add a pure boost up front and a compressor and this profile with my tele has almost unmatched clarity and chime, I am not sure I can think of another profile that has this much clarity right off the bat, atleast to me with my american Tele. This profiled immediately went on my pedalboard.

To me this is what is great about the kemper, you can often go back to older profiles or other profiles that may not have been your style, but as you as a player change and your tastes change, it is great to revisit profiles you once turned your back on. Or, in my case, you become more accustomed to what actually works and what tones work live or in the studio for you after listening for sometime on FRFR, or studio monitors, FOH mixes etc.

I urge everyone to try this profile as well, and what is more, the CAB on this profile (tremdrive) is one of maybe 5 cabs I have actually saved in the kemper. I am generally not a fan of swapping cabs (this could change with coming firmware however), but this cab really has something special about it. What I mean is, it is transparent enough that it lets the amp you are pairing the cab with shine through, verses where most cab swaps generally end up sounding almost the same as the original profile the cab is with. For some reason, I don't feel this is the case. I locked this cabinet and scrolled through some of my favorite profiles and couldn't believe how transparent the cabinet actually was. One of my favorite profiles is andys 58 pro specifically the 3rd cab profiles from the fentastic pack. sure enough, this cab sounded like a real 58 pro micd through this cabinet with an R44, or as close as I think it would sound anyways. Quite impressive. I couldn't find a bad sounding profile with this cab attached. I believe it is a matchless 2x12 cab, I do not remember the speakers though. Anyways give it a shot, I am curious to see if anyone else feels the same as I do about the cab. The R44 is an extremely high end ribbon mic, and the clarity once again is just fantastic, I think a lot of people will enjoy this.

• I don't find a rig on the exchange matching this description ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Found it and will give it a try (again). I suspect there are MANY rigs that I discarded along the way that would now blow my mind :rolleyes:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I wish all rigs was as dynamic as the Morgan AC20!!

actually, the rig isn't really that dynamic.
    first, there is a treble boost @2.5kHz in front, which you and many others seem to like so I recommend saving it as a preset.
    secondly, the Compressor in the AMPLIFIER section is turned up to 3.8 - which is quite high in my opinion.
    what this compressor does, is very effectively balancing out the volume of light and heavy picking.
    it does seem very dynamic, since the picking strength is primarily translated into different degrees of distortion while maintaining the perceived volume.,
    interestingly the Pick parameter is also set to -1.0

the mentioned treble boost and AMPLIFIER slot (!) Compressor setting should translate nicely to other profile with a similar gain.
    setting Definition to ~5.1 as in the AC20 rig might also help giving other profiles the 'Morgan AC20' feel.

• It is the "clean' profile, but I believe the gain is set to about 3.4, and it has the perfect amount of breakup.

I could find two clean 'The Chief' factory rigs, SM57 and R121 mic'ed versions. Both seem to have the gain set at 2.0, but did you mean VESmedic one of these? Could it be that you have upped the gain by yourself?

• The Chief Clean - R121
    • The Chief Clean - SM57

I would also like to add the 65 amps London profile, called tremdrive I believe. This profile was created with an R44, I wish there was more info about this. Was this an AEA R44, does anyone know?

Factory rigs have these kind of profiles somewhat matching your criteria:

• London Trem Grit - R44
    • London TremDrive Hi-M80
    • London TremDrive-MD421

As you stated the R44 I believe you ment the first one of these. According to docs the mic isn't AEA R44, but MXL R44...so ribbon still even though different manufacturer.
    And the real cabinet for that very same R44 profile is "Matchless ESD 2*12 w/ Celestion G12-H 25s".

• Yes my mistake, I meant the tremgrit R44 specifically. The Tremdrive profile with the MD421 is great as well, although a tad bright when cranked up a loud, easy fix though. The trem Grit with the R44 mic is a winner though for me. As far as the matchless, I a may have upped the gain a tad, I cant remember. The Royer 121 profile on that one I like specifically as well. I believe there is a gainier profile called matchbox or something that is the same amp with a R121 at a higher gain level that I like alot as well.

• I just gave all these a spin; added stomps VES suggested + some of my own and tweaked to my liking aaaaand yes, YES! These kinda amps just appeal and work for me. Very nice gain structure, feel and truly workable profiles.

Especially liked the London which I didn't recall trying before. Goosed the amp with mild boost+comp up front and the cleans shine through with a strat neck pickup. Then add some options like mild breakup drive and swampy trem and the grin just pushes through. ^^ Never played the actual London (or even the forefathers i.e. an old AC15 / Marshall 18 watter), but that one must be quite a nice amp!

The Chief R44 (Matchless Chieftain) and Matchbox R121 (Matchless HC30) are both very nice also. Somewhat different as is their real life forefathers (EL34 Chieftain ~ Marshall/Tweed Fender inspired a la JTM45) and crispier/twangier HC30 (EL84 a la VOX AC30). Out of curiosity I compared the Michael Britt's DC30 (have this one in my live set among others, love it!) and with some tweaks (mid push, highs slighty down) could get very similar tones from the Matchbox..which is not that big surprise..matchbox having this somewhat more 'open' vibe to it, lacking the better word to describe.

Do check these out if you haven't or have retired these in some point. And thanks to VESmedic pinpointing these out, will use 'em for sure. :thumbup:

Edited 2 times, last by JuLai ().

• the mentioned treble boost and AMPLIFIER slot (!) Compressor setting should translate nicely to other profile with a similar gain.
    setting Definition to ~5.1 as in the AC20 rig might also help giving other profiles the 'Morgan AC20' feel.

Actually it was through this rig that I came to appreciate the genius of the amp slot compressor which is a feature that is absolutely UNIQUE to the profiler. No other amp or processor I know uses this.
    And indeed I use the amp compressor extensively on all rigs up to mild crunch ones.

Still the amp compressor is like a step child that doesn't get enough praise IMO.

• Actually it was through this rig that I came to appreciate the genius of the amp slot compressor which is a feature that is absolutely UNIQUE to the profiler. No other amp or processor I know uses this.
    And indeed I use the amp compressor extensively on all rigs up to mild crunch ones.

Still the amp compressor is like a step child that doesn't get enough praise IMO.

let's spread the word, then. :)